MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
That crossed my mind too. There’s a moment when the “lighting” cross fades with a distinct LED type flicker so I’m not sure.
Good point. There was also a moment during the Hunchback segment where the lights on the upper balcony of the main tower seemed shined too brightly to be a projection.
Bastille-Day_4.jpeg

The final image of the castle also doesn't seem to be a projection as well (looks like a combination of underlighting and floodlighting):
2022-bastille-day-fireworks-disneyland-paris.jpeg

I really think the original 1992 underlighting will return sometime soon. Maybe they're installing it in phases (since it's only the upper central sections and the main tower that has it)? The lower central towers, lower castle walls and the box trees on the castle hill have yet to receive it:
disneyland-paris-1992-dornrschenschloss-picture-id1174088168

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Good point. There was also a moment during the Hunchback segment where the lights on the upper balcony of the main tower seemed shined too brightly to be a projection.
Bastille-Day_4.jpeg

The final image of the castle also doesn't seem to be a projection as well (looks like a combination of underlighting and floodlighting):

I really think the original 1992 underlighting will return sometime soon. Maybe they're installing it in phases (since it's only the upper central sections and the main tower that has it)? The lower central towers, lower castle walls and the box trees on the castle hill have yet to receive it:
I hope so. As nice as a deep purple castle looks it’s not as… magical as detailed up lighting. Especially given todays LED technology

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Bastille-Day_4.jpeg

I’m convinced it was castle lighting.

This video shows it well (as well as being a good video) from the “Out There” sequence on:

IMDREW

Bastille-Day_4.jpeg

That gold lighting is just so gorgeous!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Walts only goes up to October :( (Will probs shut it again 😂) but the hotel restaurants, and Plazza Gardens, Captain Jacks and Chez Remy are there.
It looks like the usual suspects that are guaranteed to be open. Others must be down operational decisions yet to be made (strange PYM is absent long term though) but it’s nice to be able to get Downtown so far out. The 60 day rule was more like 90 days quite often already but nothing was official.

Sir_Cliff

It looks like the usual suspects that are guaranteed to be open. Others must be down operational decisions yet to be made (strange PYM is absent long term though) but it’s nice to be able to get Downtown so far out. The 60 day rule was more like 90 days quite often already but nothing was official.
One of the mysteries of Disneyland Paris is truely why they don't want to sell food to guests.

Stevie Amsterdam

One of the mysteries of Disneyland Paris is truely why they don't want to sell food to guests.
Could it be that DLP has a mindset that great, much more affordable food is available in Paris? Based on debit and credit card spending they can keep track of where people are from (i.e. my card would be Dutch). If their main target audience is the French but the French aren’t spending any money on food, could that influence the decision to open / close certain restaurants?

cjkeating

Could it be that DLP has a mindset that great, much more affordable food is available in Paris? Based on debit and credit card spending they can keep track of where people are from (i.e. my card would be Dutch). If their main target audience is the French but the French aren’t spending any money on food, could that influence the decision to open / close certain restaurants?
Do you ever see a Disneyland Paris table service restaurant empty? I don't think so. They have a very clear hierarchy of which restaurants are opened in which priority based on demand and if anything they leave last minute/walk up demand on the table as they want to ensure the restaurants are full for them to open them.

What has been a really great move since April is that they have levelled the playing field with the Meal Plan and table service restaurant prices. Previously it was Standard (buffets) Plus (table service) Premium (character/DLH/Walts). Now Walt's is the same price (within a few Euros and the same Meal Plan entitlement) as Plaza Gardens buffet which has really increased the demand for Walt's. My only worry is the profitability of these restaurants in the long term, but hopefully they've got that worked out.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Another thing I’ve noticed is each land can operate dining on a rotation to either limit costs or staffing (or both) - example Lucky Nugget may be open Monday and Tuesday, Cowboy Cook Out Wednesday Thursday Friday, ensuring a QSR in the land is always available. Not ideal I know but I’d rather this than somewhere never being open. And don’t say Walt’s.

LondonTom

Another thing I’ve noticed is each land can operate dining on a rotation to either limit costs or staffing (or both) - example Lucky Nugget may be open Monday and Tuesday, Cowboy Cook Out Wednesday Thursday Friday, ensuring a QSR in the land is always available. Not ideal I know but I’d rather this than somewhere never being open. And don’t say Walt’s.
I know its just an example of what they could do but Lucky Nugget would be a crime to not be open on any day! I think its one of the better value places to eat inside the parks, you get entertainment and you don't have to preplan it 2 months (or the year now!) in advance.

cjkeating

Some of the second tier counter service restaurants have only been staffed with one shift of staff since reopening due to the recruitment struggles meaning some restaurants will open Wednesday-Sunday or Friday-Tuesday ensuring they cover the weekend.

Whilst DLP has had historic restaurant staffing issues this has really been compounded since the reopening, if anything it is quite impressive from what I have been told that we have as many restaurants open for as long as possible (lets not forget all the hotel restaurants) as we do.

Assuming bookings remain strong into 2023 hopefully they can build upon 2022 after the winter off-season.

EricsBiscuit

At DLP now! Capping off a trip starting in Milan, going through Genoa, into Nice and then Lyon. The park looks amazing. As far as I could tell, the effects and AAs on PM and PotC were working very well. We are at the Cinderella restaurant. Good food. Cool seeing character dining is back although it’s not my cup of tea. Very good crowd, which makes me happy! Good to see the parks busy again.
40562B97-97D2-4B8B-A460-1E52BC4149B6.jpeg
22DA1914-D01C-44BA-953F-187B30C733BD.jpeg
3D30D588-8B25-48F2-B83F-C9DE4D48E846.jpeg
201B5459-5E5F-401C-B77A-563C683B1671.jpeg
1320DFFB-9219-4265-B85D-33F1685F0D18.jpeg
845238A9-F5F7-4BCE-BD9A-0E401CBA4D22.jpeg

Kevin_W

At DLP now! Capping off a trip starting in Milan, going through Genoa, into Nice and then Lyon. The park looks amazing. As far as I could tell, the effects and AAs on PM and PotC were working very well. We are at the Cinderella restaurant. Good food. Cool seeing character dining is back although it’s not my cup of tea. Very good crowd, which makes me happy! Good to see the parks busy again. View attachment 661469View attachment 661470View attachment 661471View attachment 661472View attachment 661473View attachment 661474
Enjoy and thanks for the pictures! It's nice to see the pirate area - that was under construction the last time we were there. (Heck, the whole left half of the park was under construction.)

We're headed back to France in December the week before Christmas and are looking forward to seeing Christmastime in the parks.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Enjoy and thanks for the pictures! It's nice to see the pirate area - that was under construction the last time we were there. (Heck, the whole left half of the park was under construction.)

We're headed back to France in December the week before Christmas and are looking forward to seeing Christmastime in the parks.

If you have never been to DLP at that time of year, Paris can be very cold and damp. I have found my time in the parks is more enjoyable if under my clothes I wear the type of thermal garments you’d wear when skiing or doing other outdoor winter activities. Keeps me warm but usually does not make me too hot when I get inside an attraction.

Disney Loving Swede

If you have never been to DLP at that time of year, Paris can be very cold and damp. I have found my time in the parks is more enjoyable if under my clothes I wear the type of thermal garments you’d wear when skiing or doing other outdoor winter activities. Keeps me warm but usually does not make me too hot when I get inside an attraction.
This! I dress in layers at DLP in the colder months and bring an extra pair of gloves to switch out. Also a cloth can be good to wipe down damp outdoor seats (nothing like clearing off the snow/frost on Dumbo to start your day!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom