MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

IanDLBZF

Apparently over the past 2 weeks, one of Disneyland Paris' contractors went on strike causing chaos, particularly at Disney's Newport Bay Club Hotel. This left kids sleeping on the floor, and no contingency plan on Disney's end whatsoever.
https:///2021/10/disneyland-paris-strike-newport-bay-rwb1/

jrhwdw

Apparently over the past 2 weeks, one of Disneyland Paris' contractors went on strike causing chaos, particularly at Disney's Newport Bay Club Hotel. This left kids sleeping on the floor, and no contingency plan on Disney's end whatsoever.
Last week I also saw Entertainment/Performers(Please correct me if I'm mistaken)go on strike/protest in front of the Castle????

DLP has a Major Christmas Debut coming up! This better not hurt that!!!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How do you have a contingency for this?

Third party contractors who work as housekeeping strikes. The issue was rooms were not cleaned ready for arriving guests, hence the delay in rooms being ready.

cjkeating

Last week I also saw Entertainment/Performers(Please correct me if I'm mistaken)go on strike/protest in front of the Castle????

DLP has a Major Christmas Debut coming up! This better not hurt that!!!!
This is quite common at DLP, it normally happens once or twice a year I just don't think we have seen anything since before COVID. I wouldn't be too concerned.

SpiteriFam

Just back from a half term break and I’m conflicted by the experience.

Us and the kids love going to Disney and had an incredible two weeks in Orlando a few years ago. We went to Paris in the knowledge that it’s a scaled down version (we went to Paris 7 years ago), but I feel the extent to which the experience did not compare was bigger than expected. The downside was largely due to Disney policies in a number of ways.

Firstly the demise of FastPass is not something I agree with. Yes, FP made standby queues long previously, but I always liked the idea you knew you would have X numbers of rides without a long wait. The waits were so annoyingly long this week we ended up paying the rip off premium to skip the queues on a number of rides. Without this we could build up any momentum in our days.

The above problem might not have been so bad if there were more high capacity shows to absorb people. Lion King was great but we never made it to Frozen as they have a capacity of 175! That’s crazily low. Animagique being replaced/turned into a selfie spot also misses the chance for them to get people off the rides

Next, because of COVID you have no fireworks and no proper processions. This makes no logical sense when we’re all crammed together in queues and when we all cram together for the short procession they had at 5:30. Once we’re all in close together they might as well keep the show going with more than just 3 or 4 floats.

Even just getting a snack was beyond slow. I don’t know whether they were trying to limit the number of workers in close proximity within the serving huts, but often there was just one person doing the whole process.

It was a good few days but I do feel like had we not previously had the very positive experiences and this was our only reference point, we probably would not be too enamoured with Disney.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Us and the kids love going to Disney and had an incredible two weeks in Orlando a few years ago. We went to Paris in the knowledge that it’s a scaled down version (we went to Paris 7 years ago), but I feel the extent to which the experience did not compare was bigger than expected. The downside was largely due to Disney policies in a number of ways.

Firstly the demise of FastPass is not something I agree with. Yes, FP made standby queues long previously, but I always liked the idea you knew you would have X numbers of rides without a long wait. The waits were so annoyingly long this week we ended up paying the rip off premium to skip the queues on a number of rides. Without this we could build up any momentum in our days.

The above problem might not have been so bad if there were more high capacity shows to absorb people. Lion King was great but we never made it to Frozen as they have a capacity of 175! That’s crazily low. Animagique being replaced/turned into a selfie spot also misses the chance for them to get people off the rides

Next, because of COVID you have no fireworks and no proper processions. This makes no logical sense when we’re all crammed together in queues and when we all cram together for the short procession they had at 5:30. Once we’re all in close together they might as well keep the show going with more than just 3 or 4 floats.

Even just getting a snack was beyond slow. I don’t know whether they were trying to limit the number of workers in close proximity within the serving huts, but often there was just one person doing the whole process.

It was a good few days but I do feel like had we not previously had the very positive experiences and this was our only reference point, we probably would not be too enamoured with Disney.
This week (Halloween week) has been insanely busy as you know. Sadly the studios is suffering hugely still with most of the theatres becoming selfie spots due to covid. Conversely we went in late September and had a fantastic time with minimal waits for anything. Fastpass aside I’m afraid you went at one of the busiest times of the year whilst still under pandemic restrictions (though somewhat relaxed this month)

What is wrong - and undoubtedly didn’t help - is premiere access. Thank Burbank for that.

Last edited:

LondonTom

Nah thats pretty normal for DLP on any "quick" food options😂 One of those frustrating things that when you regularly you learn to expect and laugh about.

Honestly sometimes I wonder if they don't actually want anyone to eat there between the closed restaurants, and opening times of the snack counters and quick service 😂

cjkeating

Just to add unfortunately this is a bit of a limbo period whereby distancing restrictions have been relaxed but the entertainment department hasn't caught up yet.

The Halloween parade/cavalcade was ready to go for the season but they didn't get the government approval to do so, they then had to run a scaled down version and increased it to a multi-float cavalcacde when restrictions changed.

Things are edging closer to normality with the new Christmas parade launching in a couple of weeks, Illuminations at the end of December and the main parade back in the new year. I would also imagine Mickey and the Magician will return Spring 2022.

As Martin said you also visited on one of the busiest weeks of the year so the park was going to be a far from ideal experience.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Looks like Yaron Spiwak's involved in the new Christmas parade, either as Music Supervisor or Music Producer (his most recent Paris credit, for Dream Factory). Apparently, the London Symphony Orchestra is also involved in the parade music tracks which were recorded in Abbey Road Studios!

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Not a rumor or news, just a thought I had about the Aladdin walk-through attraction.

Today we think of it as bizarre because it's this series of department store-style window displays telling the story, but that makes sense when you realize what it was trying to imitate:

We forget now because its been at least 20 years, but this is what the Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough looked like from the late 70s until it closed in 2001. When DLP's Aladdin walkthrough was being made, this is what existed in California and was the template for this kind of attraction. Comparing the two, you could even make the case Aladdin was better, though it didn't have the novelty of being inside the park's icon.

It was in 2008, that Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle was restored to something closer to the original 1957 design, but with updated effects. I think the current version is fantastic and a perfect example of how DLP's Aladdin walkthrough could be updated. Despite the small space, there's lots you could do with projection mapping and detailed model work and flats to bring added life to the scenes. I'd also suggest taking some liberties with the story and creating some unique scenes, like the 1957 Sleeping Beauty attraction did.

IMDREW

Not a rumor or news, just a thought I had about the Aladdin walk-through attraction.

Today we think of it as bizarre because it's this series of department store-style window displays telling the story, but that makes sense when you realize what it was trying to imitate:

We forget now because its been at least 20 years, but this is what the Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough looked like from the late 70s until it closed in 2001. When DLP's Aladdin walkthrough was being made, this is what existed in California and was the template for this kind of attraction. Comparing the two, you could even make the case Aladdin was better, though it didn't have the novelty of being inside the park's icon.

It was in 2008, that Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle was restored to something closer to the original 1957 design, but with updated effects. I think the current version is fantastic and a perfect example of how DLP's Aladdin walkthrough could be updated. Despite the small space, there's lots you could do with projection mapping and detailed model work and flats to bring added life to the scenes. I'd also suggest taking some liberties with the story and creating some unique scenes, like the 1957 Sleeping Beauty attraction did.

Id wish theyd just make a full on Aladdin darkride. Flying carpet system like Peter Pan. Design wise like the walkthrough. It could be so beautiful.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Id wish theyd just make a full on Aladdin darkride. Flying carpet system like Peter Pan. Design wise like the walkthrough. It could be so beautiful.

Adventureland certainly needs another ride of some kind since there's only two now.

But with our luck they'll probably just move the carpet spinner there and call it a day.

Robbiem

I’d love to see an Aladdin magic carpet ride. it would be great to see a fresh take on a dark ride outside fantasyland

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No

Did they deactivate the vertical movement of the middle planet models despite it being tested recently? I saw one video (I think it was ED92) of the testing with one rocket and the planets appeared to be too close for comfort. Did they realize that there's a possibility of a head-to-planet-model collision especially for the taller guests?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom