Magic Kingdom takes control of seating

Figment632

I agree, it would be a good idea to keep a few staples on the menu for a place like Tomorrowland Terrace. Then add a few other options to keep it more interesting than the typical burgers/nuggets/fries you get everywhere else in the MK. People would eat there if the food was good. But sadly the offerings as the noodle station were too "exotic" I guess, for visitors.

MK especially has gradually dumbed down the menus over the past few years and gotten rid of some of the variety of items. Pinnochio Village House now basically serves pizza and chicken nuggets only -- they got rid of the turkey panini and italian combo sandwich over a year ago (and the Figaro fries!!!). Columbia Harbor House and Peco's Bill's menus have shrunk also. Believe me, when I'm at WDW I love to have a burger and fries or chicken nuggets, but I don't want to eat that all week. A little more variety would help.

Of course, management isn't into this idea, because they'd rather herd you through one location and slop gruel on your plate - the profit margin is much higher!!

This is why I don't eat there anymore :fork:

jakeman

Of course, management isn't into this idea, because they'd rather herd you through one location and slop gruel on your plate - the profit margin is much higher!!
Of course not. Management hates you after all. They can't take time away from swimming in their money bin to care can they?

Food has been swinging back and forth like this for at least the past 10 years.

They changed menus back in 1998-ish from standard fare to more and more variety and some time around 2004-ish it hit its peak and they have been converting restaurants back to standard fare.

Looking at menus last time, it seems that we are slowing grinding our way back to more variety. There are now bbq sandwhichs on the menus in some places and new chicken wraps. Tacos and taco salads are available in MK once again. Cosmic Ray's has more variety now then I remember in the recent past.

I'm not saying it's great. I'm not even saying it's even adequate right now, but I pay closer attention to food at WDW then probably anything else, and there are indications that we are on an upswing in food at present.

Phonedave

I agree, it would be a good idea to keep a few staples on the menu for a place like Tomorrowland Terrace. Then add a few other options to keep it more interesting than the typical burgers/nuggets/fries you get everywhere else in the MK. People would eat there if the food was good. But sadly the offerings as the noodle station were too "exotic" I guess, for visitors.

MK especially has gradually dumbed down the menus over the past few years and gotten rid of some of the variety of items. Pinnochio Village House now basically serves pizza and chicken nuggets only -- they got rid of the turkey panini and italian combo sandwich over a year ago (and the Figaro fries!!!). Columbia Harbor House and Peco's Bill's menus have shrunk also. Believe me, when I'm at WDW I love to have a burger and fries or chicken nuggets, but I don't want to eat that all week. A little more variety would help.

If by exotic you mean downright nasty, then I agree.

While I do like good food, and can be a bit of a critic when eating at supposedly good establishments, I also will eat just about anything. From fires with cheeze whiz to frozen burgers on dried out buns.

Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace was one of the few places I where I actualy threw away the food because it was just that bad.

-dave

jakeman

If by exotic you mean downright nasty, then I agree.

While I do like good food, and can be a bit of a critic when eating at supposedly good establishments, I also will eat just about anything. From fires with cheeze whiz to frozen burgers on dried out buns.

Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace was one of the few places I where I actualy threw away the food because it was just that bad.

-dave
The Noodle Station is an odd bird.

Back when it first opened (2005 I think), the noodles were a lo mien style and absolutely awesome. A little teriyaki and mustard and they were as good as anything from a mom and pop chinese place.

We went back not 8 months later and they had changed to the soupy mess that we have today. Highly disappointed in the offerings. We haven't been back their since when it was open.

sublimesting

The order lines will be alot longer but if it eliminates irritating people who already ate and are just relxing at a table I'm all for it.

captainkidd

The order lines will be alot longer but if it eliminates irritating people who already ate and are just relxing at a table I'm all for it.

I could care less if they kick me out after I eat. Hell, once I'm done with my food, I can't wait to get going and back to the park.

Gucci65

My very first post on this site!:sohappy: I think the new seating is a GREAT idea. We ate there last July and relaxing would be the last word I would use to describe it. It was barely enjoyable. Knowing that I won't have to throw an elbow to get a seat takes a lot of the stress out of the situation. But the backless seats stink! Oh well, I would rather have a sore back at Disney World that a happy back anywhere else.:D

Welcome to the boards!:wave:

Slowjack

I'm not in the least bit worried about getting a table. We always eat early to avoid afternoon rushes and have never had a problem finding a table.

The problem is, the amount of space you have to move in those counter service lines is too cramped as is. I can't fathom how bad it will be adding strollers and literally, 3 or 4 times as many people to the mix.

I'm sorry. I just think it's absurd to think that in a place that is literally all about families, that they would expect those families to all stand in line to order food. Parents with little kids still on bottles or baby food. Sorry, gotta stand in line until Daddy finishes getting the food for everyone else? It just sounds silly.
Again, you seem to be missing the fact that this rule would only be applied when people are having trouble finding a table. No one is arguing that the rule should be applied when tables are plentiful!

Yes, having everyone stand in line will cause congestion, and that's a problem. By all means, it's a great idea for some of the party to head to a table and wait when there are plenty of tables free. That works out better for everyone.

But at the times the rule would be applied, the tables aren't available. So while congestion at the counter, it's better than the alternative. Having "parents with little kids still on bottles or baby food" standing by the counter is bad, but the alternative--again, for the times when this rule would apply--is for those same parents and those same kids to be standing by the tables, with dad trying to balance food trays, scanning helplessly for a table, while other people who aren't eating (and are necessarily all parents with babies) take up tables they could be sitting at.

Tom

Beta Return
Thoughts

I, for one, almost have anxiety attacks when I know I have to look for a seat in Cosmic Ray's or Pecos Bill's during lunch hour. I dread the chance that I might come out of line with my tray and have NOWHERE to sit.

With that said, I am a 100% supporter of this plan. It probably won't be in place when I go to WDW (off seasons), but it would really relax me in the PRE-dining stages, knowing I'll probably get a seat.

Now, am I dreaming, or did I read somewhere that they MIGHT use a turnstile counter type system - similar to parking garages (if PEOPLE IN < PEOPLE OUT then SEATS AVAILABLE)? This would almost make sense, so that the greeters could tell you at the entry that there are no tables available at the time.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
And of course any extra income received from increasing throughput of guests by reducing table time will be reinvested to reopen all the closed eating establishments property wide providing a proper long term solution.

And my granny was a German stormtrooper.

diddy_mouse

Okay, I must have been really lucky when I went to CS places or didn't even pay attention to the seating, but we haven't had issues finding a place to sit. :shrug: Granted it's been two years since we've been to the World (which shouldn't matter) but I don't recall having to chase down a table to sit and eat my chicken fingers and fries. The only place that comes to mind is Roaring Forks at the WL during breakfast but we sat outside and everything was fine.

I don't quite know what to think about this....*goes off to ponder*

I saw them doing this in March at Pecos Bill's. IMO, it was awful. It created a lot of traffic and a lot more people waiting in line. I am always a fan of having the person who is paying just waiting in the line, that way you don't have to navigate through a crowd of people with a tray of food.

I saw a lot of people getting very frustrated with 3/4 of the exits blocked off, therefore having to walk around the whole perimeter trying to find an entrance. It just seems like useless labor. I know I was really frustrated.

Another thing I noticed (maybe it has gotten better since?) was that there still weren't tables and now you have another problem--people who have purchased food with no where to eat it. We had to wait several minutes for someone to get up and hold on to the trays. It's not a huge deal, but I would have rather just knew I had a table before ordering.

DisneyLeo18

the only place this was an issue and actually bothered me was pizza planet. A friend and I once put our tray on top of the garbage can and ate there.. eventually a father and son scooted over and let us share a table. But i can see this being a good thing.. we shall see.....

OwnTheMagic

The chairs have been the useless stools at Pecos though since last year at least. Mouse Surplus was selling old chairs back in 2008 or so. Problem is that it's tough to "relax" without a back on your chair. :(

Own The Magic recently obtained the entire remaining stock of Pecos Bills original chairs. If anyone is interested, please feel free to email us at info@ownthemagic.com or give us a call (601)-813-7323.

hsisthebest

BAD BAD plan. I have just 1 toddler and trying to keep her occupied while ordering/picking up food would be nightmare, especially near the fixin's bar. My wife usually finds a table and waits while I get the food- which can take a while at Pecos even when it's not busy. Can't imagine how it will be for parents with lots of kids all screaming and running around at the counter. :veryconfu

biggreen19

A long time lurker here:

I experienced this new plan at the Magic Kingdom in August and came away with mixed feelings. After reading the opinions expressed on this thread and based on my own visits and observations to WDW over the years, I would have to say that overall CS tables throughout the Magic Kingdom have been reduced though "seasonal closings" of eateries, or cost cutting measures. In an attempt to mask this short-coming, management has decided to "maximize and add value" to the remaining CS tables by herding the "guests" through the fixed entry cattle shuts right to the POP registers or self serve Kiosks, then proceed to tell you where to sit.

Maybe if management would open some the "seasonal closing eateries", and leave them open year round, this would help free up some tables. Or to start some real controversy, eliminate the dining plan, and have guests return to pay as you go dining........

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom