Magic Kingdom takes control of seating

IlikeDW

I work at Pecos and have participated in putting this stuff in action, so let me clarify a few things.

This 'assigned seating' stuff only happens during peak season. The parks were unusually busy a few days ago which I'm guessing happens to be the day this reporter was in the park, but other than that we haven't used it but maybe two or three times since the end of July. When we aren't busy there are no directions on where to sit or when to grab a table. But to the poster worried about your freedom of choice - believe me when we do this stuff it is necessary. It's not like you have much of a choice then either because it is so busy there are very few tables open. One of the major points of this process is so there are tables open for people who already have their food and we don't have people with no food holding tables. It allows us to help people find tables faster, which in turn keeps the hallways (which can get very crowded at times) less chaotic.

It's amazing for me to compare operation of the restaurant today to when I first started working part-time there three years ago. In fact, it's not even a comparison. Things are run so much more efficient today it's not even funny. I can personally attest to the emphasis being put on customer service now as well. I can't really speak to the dining experience, but at least my job has been revolutionized by the reforms that have been made.

Thanks for sharing an inside perspective

captainkidd

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this sucks. What we always do is have my wife get a table with our 3 kids, 2 of whom are toddlers, while I get the food. So, now they'll have to either stand in line with me or stand around waiting to get a table?

Gucci65

We experienced this during Spring Break earlier this year. There was only one entrance into Cosmic Rays. You were given a menu while you waited and were then directed to the bay you wanted to order from. It was definately interesting, but I have to say it did cut down on the madness you normally see during peak times. The hallways were not crowded.

It's not a bad thing, I actually think it's a good idea - especially when you are walking around with a tray full of food and unable to find a table and wondering who is gonna knock your tray out of your hands.

magic2me

I like the idea. I have always hated when you are carrying your food and all the tables are taken with people either eating stuff they brought from home or are holding tables.

We were at Cosmic Rays when they did this and it went smoothly for us.

captainkidd

I like the idea. I have always hated when you are carrying your food and all the tables are taken with people either eating stuff they brought from home or are holding tables.

Eating food from home is one thing. Holding a table because you've got 3 little kids who need to be sitting down, while waiting for your food to be brought over is another.

PKD

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this sucks. What we always do is have my wife get a table with our 3 kids, 2 of whom are toddlers, while I get the food. So, now they'll have to either stand in line with me or stand around waiting to get a table?

This is exactly what they are trying to prevent and I think it is great that they are doing this!

If I got to the restaurant first and got my food first, how is it fair that your party is holding a table that others w/food can't use? Then when you multiply that by all the others holding tables without food, it turns into a mess.

DocMcHulk

This is a really really great idea. THere is nothing worse than going into a crowded restaurant only to have half the family sit on one side of the restaurant and half on the other. Or you spend 5 minutes trying to find a place to wedge in 2 people.

COProgressFan

I think it's a good idea, but why can't they bring capacity up to what it was just a few years ago so that the CS restaurants aren't as overwhelmed as they are? El Pirata is closed most of the year. The Adventureland Veranda closed years ago. The Noodle Station seems to have odd hours. Reopening these eateries may cause less than peak efficiency in the system for Disney, but it would sure make meals less stressful for guests without having to herd us like cattle. JMHO.

Good point. They already have so much unused dining capacity in the park. Crowding at Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Ray's wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if the other quick serve locations were all open. Re-opening the Adventureland Veranda would take work, but the Tomorrowland Terrace (Noodle Station) is ready to go, and it is almost never open.

Of course, they don't want to pay to staff and stock another location, when they can just herd and cram more people into places like Pecos Bill's.

LarryStoken

Yes but only during peak times

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Good point. They already have so much unused dining capacity in the park. Crowding at Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Ray's wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if the other quick serve locations were all open. Re-opening the Adventureland Veranda would take work, but the Tomorrowland Terrace (Noodle Station) is ready to go, and it is almost never open.

Of course, they don't want to pay to staff and stock another location, when they can just herd and cram more people into places like Pecos Bill's.

Well, they have reopened the Diamond Horseshoe as a TS restaurant, so that may help pull a few people down from Pecos Bill's and El Pirata y el Perico. But I think overall, especially during the upcoming holliday season, this will indeed help and perhaps make things a little less frustrating.

trr1

A greeter hands menus and steers the entire group to cash registers to place their orders. After they get their food, they are guided by another employee to an empty table.

do you tip these people?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
A greeter hands menus and steers the entire group to cash registers to place their orders. After they get their food, they are guided by another employee to an empty table.

do you tip these people?

Only if you want to get a really good table! :animwink:

captainkidd

This is exactly what they are trying to prevent and I think it is great that they are doing this!

If I got to the restaurant first and got my food first, how is it fair that your party is holding a table that others w/food can't use? Then when you multiply that by all the others holding tables without food, it turns into a mess.

Such as life at WDW. If they don't want families there, maybe they should stop catering to them.

In theory, it's a good idea. In practice, I think it will cause issues for families with small kids.

lazyboy97o

I have to echo the sentiments about just expanding the park's food service offerings. The lack of offerings at the Magic Kingdom is a total failure in guest service from my perspective.

jakeman

Such as life at WDW. If they don't want families there, maybe they should stop catering to them.
Uh oh...I think you've cracked their formula!

Disney definitely does not want families to eat. They really, really don't want your $60 for a quarter-pounder and some fries. In fact, Disney really has been against families from day one.

It is unfortunate that groups of people have ruined this for folks that responsibily benefited from seating themselves, such as you, but something had to be done.

There have been numerous times where I've had to walk my Pecos all the way to Columbia Harbor House because there were no tables available, because people were just looking to get out of the heat, not eating or anything.

It's the same type of guest mentality that has led to the character corrals in the other thread. Until Disney starts providing hard consequences for guest behavior (unlikely) or a minority of guest stop being turds (even more unlikely), then guest will need to continue to be treated like tardy cattle.

I have to echo the sentiments about just expanding the park's food service offerings. The lack of offerings at the Magic Kingdom is a total failure in guest service from my perspective.
I agree. I don't think this would solve the issue directly, but I don't think it would do anything but help.

Glasgow

Finally!! Almost nothing makes me as mad as standing with my food, looking for a table, while someone is sitting right in front of me holding a table for their party (who is currently in line) ... Rude!! (of course, there are exceptions for the elderly, disabled, etc .. I have no problem with that).

I'll be looking forward to checking out the new system in Feburary.

Maybe they should use FastPass at the restaurants ..... *ducks* ... haha :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

In theory, it's a good idea. In practice, I think it will cause issues for families with small kids.

The article actually makes it sound like they're trying to address seating issues for guests of all varities. You have your food, you get a table. That would certainly make things easier for a family of five as opposed to searching and hovering over a table waiting for someone to get up....

Figment632

Well when Gastons opens it should help but they should also keep the TL Noodle Station open during peak times.

IMA*WDW*ADDICT

I love this!! It is so unbelievable frustrating when you can't find a table!! My husband and I usually go by ourselves and we are fast eaters... no sense in wasting time eating when you are at WDW! haha So it's frustrating when we look for a table forever and there are people whose family just barely got in line... by the time they get there food we'd probably be done and headed out to ride some rides!
I think this is going to work out brilliantly!!!:sohappy: I hope they start doing this in all the parks, not just MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom