Magic Kingdom takes control of seating

Slowjack

Another thing I noticed (maybe it has gotten better since?) was that there still weren't tables and now you have another problem--people who have purchased food with no where to eat it. We had to wait several minutes for someone to get up and hold on to the trays. It's not a huge deal, but I would have rather just knew I had a table before ordering.
Yes, but...logically that doesn't work. Either there are enough tables are there aren't. If there aren't enough tables even just for the people who have food, then allowing people to "have a table before ordering" reduces the supply of tables and means even more people with food who don't have a table. You say "now" you have another problem but this policy makes that situation better, not worse.

Slowjack

... overall CS tables throughout the Magic Kingdom have been reduced though "seasonal closings" of eateries, or cost cutting measures. In an attempt to mask this short-coming, management has decided to "maximize and add value" to the remaining CS tables by herding the "guests" through the fixed entry cattle shuts right to the POP registers or self serve Kiosks, then proceed to tell you where to sit.

Maybe if management would open some the "seasonal closing eateries", and leave them open year round, this would help free up some tables. Or to start some real controversy, eliminate the dining plan, and have guests return to pay as you go dining........
This I agree with. I don't know to what extent Disney has reduced the number of counter-service options--it's certainly my perception that there are a lot fewer seats--and how much the dining plan may contribute to the problem. But the bottom line is that regardless of the cause, there's no excuse for people not having a place to sit down and eat their meal, even at peak times. And it's not like in the MK they would even need new restaurants, since they have so many places shuttered the could reopen.

I support the new policy at Pecos Bill's because I don't think people without food should take a table from people with food. I don't like that at my local mall and I don't like it at WDW. But the problem is ultimately Disney's fault.

jakeman

A long time lurker here:

I experienced this new plan at the Magic Kingdom in August and came away with mixed feelings. After reading the opinions expressed on this thread and based on my own visits and observations to WDW over the years, I would have to say that overall CS tables throughout the Magic Kingdom have been reduced though "seasonal closings" of eateries, or cost cutting measures. In an attempt to mask this short-coming, management has decided to "maximize and add value" to the remaining CS tables by herding the "guests" through the fixed entry cattle shuts right to the POP registers or self serve Kiosks, then proceed to tell you where to sit.

Maybe if management would open some the "seasonal closing eateries", and leave them open year round, this would help free up some tables. Or to start some real controversy, eliminate the dining plan, and have guests return to pay as you go dining........
I think the only thing I would disagree with is eliminating the dinning plan for this reason.

If anything I would imagine it decreases the burden on QSRs because of the added incentive to have a table service for dinner.

CBOMB

A long time lurker here:

I experienced this new plan at the Magic Kingdom in August and came away with mixed feelings. After reading the opinions expressed on this thread and based on my own visits and observations to WDW over the years, I would have to say that overall CS tables throughout the Magic Kingdom have been reduced though "seasonal closings" of eateries, or cost cutting measures. In an attempt to mask this short-coming, management has decided to "maximize and add value" to the remaining CS tables by herding the "guests" through the fixed entry cattle shuts right to the POP registers or self serve Kiosks, then proceed to tell you where to sit.

Welcome to posting on boards.

Your solution would greatly reduce the problem. However we all know the DDP has allowed the Mouse to pick up money in advance. We also know he gets to keep that money even when folks don't use all their credits. Why would he want to open up other places to eat when he would have to staff them? He'll just keep raising the prices of food, and beverage so folks will continue to think what a bargain the DDP is. He'll just keep packing them in to what's available. As long as they keep the dining areas full with the fastest turn around rate, Mickey is happy. The guest, maybe not so happy.

WDW1974

Welcome to posting on boards.

Your solution would greatly reduce the problem. However we all know the DDP has allowed the Mouse to pick up money in advance. We also know he gets to keep that money even when folks don't use all their credits. Why would he want to open up other places to eat when he would have to staff them? He'll just keep raising the prices of food, and beverage so folks will continue to think what a bargain the DDP is. He'll just keep packing them in to what's available. As long as they keep the dining areas full with the fastest turn around rate, Mickey is happy. The guest, maybe not so happy.

One thing that struck me at DLP last month was how almost every food locale was open (again, in September, not exactly peak season). And DLP has far more eateries to begin with.

At MK all you have to do is walk through A-land to understand why places like Pecos Bill Cafe are packed. Two huge eateries sit. One hasn't been open in over a decade and the other seems to be open for about four hours a day maybe three months a year. Then there's what used to be known as the Plaza Pavilion (now the Noodle Plus Chicken Fingers Station), which is rarely open.

But look at all the labor savings on Phil's bottom-line.

That's the real issue. That and MK being down to four real QS locales that are open regularly. People saving tables or sitting isn't the problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom