Magic Kingdom ranks as 2nd most favorite amusement park in the U.S. !

BlakeW39

Look around at the rock work and snow at the broken track stop. It just doesn't look all that good. Certainly not Carsland/Pandora level. But yes, the money shot looks good. And I wasn't talking about the theming on the lift hill. I love the temple. Before the lift hill is mostly grass. It should have a sherpa base camp or something.

The problem with the light leaks is that the inside of the mountain isn't themed and the light leaks allows you to see that.

Oh goodness I just saw Pandora and Everest is certainly on that level haha. I don't really know what you're going for there, man. Also, the bottom is the best! Animal Kingdom is about nature... and that area really does look like a habitat that is in that region of Asia, with vegetation and such. I love that part. To ask for the natural land to be replaced with a human camp conflicts with the goal of nature that DAK has.

Also, the top looks so fantastic, and the bird is not there (though if you look closely you can see a real bird soaring, likely a vulture) :) the rock work may be similar, but that peak is certainly more dynamic in comparison to the point from which you emerge the cave.

The light leakage as you describe it is a problem - one that I have yet to see any evidence of. This is the first I've heard of anyone noticing it. So it seems to not be a problem since when I rode I couldn't see any unthemed interior.

Attachments

• 840p2235439-1.jpg
    840p2235439-1.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 60

BlakeW39

Disagree 100%...for the reasons given above.

I would use the word some, incredibly loosely. I believe you are talking about a very small subset of people.

Ambiance can be a major attraction to rides that don't otherwise provide thrills. But for most thrill rides, it's the thrills themselves that provide the attraction.

I don't where you are getting this, but theme clearly plays a part in how much people enjoy attractions. All of the people that I have met that have been to Disney hmcare about theme. They also care about thrill on a thrill ride, but they care about theme as well. They go together to make a good attraction. That is why Disney coasters are still impressive even though they are not the biggest or fastest. Because they take into account other elements (and yes, Universal does this too).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They go hand in hand. Btmrr wouldnt be a coaster of any mention besides having three lift hills if it were an exposed six flags coaster.

Its just average - but put the whi
Ole package together and its unique

Big thunder is at most average...if we’re honest it’s probably below. Nothing really special about that...I like the trick track but it’s really Just corny western theming beyond that. Not exactly “imagineering at its peak”

HansGruber

I don't where you are getting this, but theme clearly plays a part in how much people enjoy attractions. All of the people that I have met that have been to Disney hmcare about theme. They also care about thrill on a thrill ride, but they care about theme as well. They go together to make a good attraction. That is why Disney coasters are still impressive even though they are not the biggest or fastest. Because they take into account other elements (and yes, Universal does this too).

I think you grossly underestimate the balance of theme compared to thrill.

I don't disagree, the two DO compliment each other nicely, but the lines are longer at thrill rides because they are thrill rides. The theme of the thrill ride is secondary. If this weren't true, then the lines at non-thrill rides (which rely more on theme) would be longer on average. They aren't.

RnR isn't themed very well, yet it's one of the most popular rides in all of WDW. People aren't riding it to see Steven Tyler's mug. I'd venture to say anyone under 25 doesn't even know who Areosmith is! I had to explain them to my son on our last trip.

HansGruber

They go hand in hand. Btmrr wouldnt be a coaster of any mention besides having three lift hills if it were an exposed six flags coaster.

Its just average - but put the whi
Ole package together and its unique

SDMT, Splash M and Space M typically have longer wait times than Thunder Mountain.
Seems pretty average to me.

MaximumEd

Big thunder is at most average...if we’re honest it’s probably below. Nothing really special about that...I like the trick track but it’s really Just corny western theming beyond that. Not exactly “imagineering at its peak”

Have you ridden the DL version with the 3rd lift hill effects? IMO, it turns the ride into something great instead of something good. The whole “you’re riding through an active mine and something goes wrong” thing really works well.

LSLS

Jeez, to each their own, but Hulk is one of the blandest rides at either of the Universal parks. It is a genuine thematic eyesore and doesn't fit in with the comic book themed city... like most steel coasters outdoors. I like IoA but Hulk genuinely bothers me. Like the Flight of the Hippogriff. Only Hippo is way less thematically inconsistent.

I'm assuming you are super worried/angry about the giant box being built in EPCOT right now as well?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Have you ridden the DL version with the 3rd lift hill effects? IMO, it turns the ride into something great instead of something good. The whole “you’re riding through an active mine and something goes wrong” thing really works well.

I have and it does make it a better ride. I was sticking to WDW - land of flowing excuses 😎

Fantasmicguy

Man... you must really hate Epcot then huh?
I don't hate Epcot but I'd never say it's the number 1 theme park or say it was better than magic kingdom. As I said I don't even hate Islands of Adventure I just don't see how anyone could say it's better than Magic Kingdom.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't hate Epcot but I'd never say it's the number 1 theme park or say it was better than magic kingdom. As I said I don't even hate Islands of Adventure I just don't see how anyone could say it's better than Magic Kingdom.

Epcot is the greatest themepark ever built...even though it was a “punt” from crazy walt’s Vision.

People see the mistakes of later management as an indictment of the park. They failed it...as does the modern nanosecond attention consumer...

...the park never failed them or the philosophical design.

BlakeW39

Big Thunder is actually a fantastic ride. Just because it doesn't go hyperspeed doesn't mean it's average. Allow me to analyze what I the ride does so fantastically. It has enough thrill to where it feels fast and exhilerating, has an immersive theme with great scenery, and is a genuinely unique and charismatic ride with a its ride goal accomplished effectively. I assume you think Rip Ride Rockit is better though lol.

BlakeW39

I'm assuming you are super worried/angry about the giant box being built in EPCOT right now as well?

I mean I am but as much of a mess Epcot is, it's honestly not the worst/ugliest thing they have sitting over in Future World.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Big Thunder is actually a fantastic ride. Just because it doesn't go hyperspeed doesn't mean it's average. Allow me to analyze what I the ride does so fantastically. It has enough thrill to where it feels fast and exhilerating, has an immersive theme with great scenery, and is a genuinely unique and charismatic ride with a its ride goal accomplished effectively. I assume you think Rip Ride Rockit is better though lol.

You’re just repeating the “cause it’s disney...it’s great” line. I’m not even sure you realize it.

Big thunder is a fun ride...I like it. It is not great.

Everest is not phenomenal...many other rollercoaster provide different kind of feelings/qualities than what Disney chooses to do. No foul on anyone’s part.

But you really need to start breaking out the “why” behind your superfluous praise. A lot of the discussion has discussed tech and design approaches and ya keep a coming back with adjectives.

...it also helps if you don’t end every statement of opinion with “lol”...even rocket rods...lol

Bpmorley

I've been a huge Disney supporter for years, I wouldn't consider myself part of the "general public" when it comes to being a theme park fan, and I can say with complete honesty that on my most recent trip this year, where I spent a day at Universal and a day at the Magic Kingdom, Universal was the more enjoyable experience.
I agree

RaveOnEd

I just don’t find anything “magical” about having to micromanage what is supposed to be a vacation; I don’t find it enjoyable to be stuck in a standby line watching hundreds of people with FP+ walk right past when the rides were never designed for it, and the lines in general would be shorter without it. Magic Kingdom used to be where it felt like the characters “lived,” and now, only the top-tier (marketable) characters are available to meet, or even see, and even then, they’re locked away in a building with a 50+ minute wait. Magic Kingdom didn’t feel magical, it felt every bit like the corporate monolith that it is and Disney seems to have quit caring enough to at least pretend to hide that the ultimate goal is to get you to spend money and create long lines they can show to their shareholders. Universal, while they obviously have the same goal, was at least fun. The crowds were dispersed, and I didn’t see anything in the Magic Kingdom that can rival the experience of Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley; it was also nice to be able to just walk around and enjoy the park without constantly having to have my face buried in my phone checking wait times. I would love to call the Magic Kingdom the best park in the country, because I love Disney, but I’m not going to let my fandom get in the way of being objective and honest about my experience.

While I have been and always will be a Disney fan, this is exactly how I felt to a degree last week when we were there. We visited Universal for our first time this trip, and just going to a park to relax, have fun and not worry about how every minute had to be planned (and how free moments had to be structured around those) was a refreshing change from being in MK. We loved all of our trip, but there were times in MK (FP+ related mostly) that clouded our love of it a little.

IMO, Disney needs to adapt Universal's line system and rework FP+. You want special line access? Pay extra. Don't give FP+ to everyone who buys a park ticket. Add a single rider line, so families who have older kids can get to more rides faster.

I would say that had it not been for FP+, MK would have a better feel to it for overall experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom