Magic Kingdom losing evening EMHs?

ToTBellHop

The elimination of all Extra Magic Hours has always been the goal from the very beginning of MyMagic+. Years ago I was saying the same thing, and I’ll say the same thing now. They wanted to eventually allocate more FP+ Reservations for on-property guests in lieu of EMH. Now it seems these after hours parties are proving way more profitable for the MK so that’s pushing it to happen even faster.
Sort of. I've yet to ever hear of them removing the morning EMH, however. Evening EMHs are far more costly (more rides, more hours, and it takes longer to clear the park out which creates maintenance issues, especially with the uptick in separately-ticketed events; morning hours are literally just an extra hour). They would love to just have the 8 am opens to market to resort guests. They get better guest reviews anyway.

I personally prefer the morning hour, but that's just me.

gmk3855

It's all about how much money Disney can squeeze out of it's customers and keep having them pay. The more people keeping paying for late night events, parties, and such the more Disney is going to keep more coming at the expense of the nonpaying guests. It's sad but a way of life for Disney now.

juniorthomas

It's all about how much money Disney can squeeze out of it's customers and keep having them pay. The more people keeping paying for late night events, parties, and such the more Disney is going to keep more coming at the expense of the nonpaying guests. It's sad but a way of life for Disney now.
This is somewhat similar to DLC in the video game world. DLC is universally hated, yet people continue to pay for it. As a result, the gaming industry has no reason to change the strategy.

The only thing that would make Disney move away from ticketed late night events would be if people stopped buying. One of the strange scenarios in which "we the people" actually have a play against a ginormous corporation. Unfortunately, there's not enough collaboration to turn that sentiment into a movement. And so, EMH is eliminated and many people are unable to visiting select parks on their vacations unless they spend more.

...not that this happened to me on a previous trip, or anything. ;)

sndral

The elimination of all Extra Magic Hours has always been the goal from the very beginning of MyMagic+. Years ago I was saying the same thing, and I’ll say the same thing now. They wanted to eventually allocate more FP+ Reservations for on-property guests in lieu of EMH. Now it seems these after hours parties are proving way more profitable for the MK so that’s pushing it to happen even faster.
If this is the goal, then why did they give the good neighbor hotels the 60 day window?
Or, are you suggesting that in the future people paying for Disney resorts will get say 4 or 5 FP+ per day v. others getting only 3? Currently CL guests can pay a minimum of $50 per day for an extra 3 FP+ and 90 day window minimum 3 days. Perhaps they’ll expand to regular rooms get extra FP+ and earlier window for a price?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They're baaaaaack (in November)... 😝

Much brouhaha over nothing - or Disney came to their senses before riots happened.
My gut says it was the latter.
You may be right about that. Though I think the Halloween parties probably also played a part... They left the month kind of open for that eventuality and maybe were testing the waters. Guess they got their answer either way. 😆

What is so hard to get that WDW's calendar is often wrong?

Haven't we learned the lesson from all the times EMH didn't show up on a calendar months from now and everyone started running around with hair on fire because "Disney was getting rid of EMHs!!!11!"?

Same with parades and fireworks not showing up?

Just this week there was one of MDE's pages showing that I:RoE was playing the full first week of October.

Mat Cauthon

What is so hard to get that WDW's calendar is often wrong?
This is my biggest issue with ADR's and booking fastpass so far in advance of a trip. I will preface this gripe with a "Yes I know I don't HAVE to book those things the first day they are available but we usually have a family of 12 traveling and booking ASAP can be beneficial". My gripe isn't that I have to, it's that if I want to book first day available the park calendar is almost never up to date with park times, special events or any of the things that would help me make better decisions on what I want on what days. I think the window to start booking should be more like 14-28 days out from first day of trip. Then I have all the information I need to plan my trip.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It's not that they're wrong as much as it is that they're constantly being updated, even the day of.

Having the usual evening EMHs wind up in the morning instead of the evening isn't a lack of an update. It was just wrong.

But yes, the calendar is also updated regularly and frequently such that it can seem like everything is wrong, but, just not updated yet, like when they extend hours.... the bane of all pre-opening breakfast ADRs made to make sure they can get in line before the rope-droppers.

BoarderPhreak

Having the usual evening EMHs wind up in the morning instead of the evening isn't a lack of an update. It was just wrong.

But yes, the calendar is also updated regularly and frequently such that it can seem like everything is wrong, but, just not updated yet, like when they extend hours.... the bane of all pre-opening breakfast ADRs made to make sure they can get in line before the rope-droppers.
Except evening EMHs directly conflict with Halloween parties.

BoarderPhreak

Are they currently conflicting, as in both scheduled for the same night? Because in the past, evening EMHs co-existed with party nights, just on a different nights.
Clearly you can't have them on the same nights... But I suspect Disney wanted to leave their options open for expanding the party nights, which as we all know - make them money - rather than cost them money.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Clearly you can't have them on the same nights... But I suspect Disney wanted to leave their options open for expanding the party nights, which as we all know - make them money - rather than cost them money.

I don't think Disney would ever make every night a pay-for party night... yeah, they're a business and businesses are greedy, but they also can't tick off paying customers *that* much.

jt04

I don't think Disney would ever make every night a pay-for party night... yeah, they're a business and businesses are greedy, but they also can't tick off paying customers *that* much.

One a week during October, December and Spring Break seems optimal for EMH.

BoarderPhreak

I'm not suggesting they'd have one every night. Just that by not committing to EMH dates yet, gives them the flexibility to have a party night whenever they want to put it on the calendar. Once that's settled, they can populate the EMH. Doesn't mean it's set in stone either way, of course.

Kman101

This is my biggest issue with ADR's and booking fastpass so far in advance of a trip. I will preface this gripe with a "Yes I know I don't HAVE to book those things the first day they are available but we usually have a family of 12 traveling and booking ASAP can be beneficial". My gripe isn't that I have to, it's that if I want to book first day available the park calendar is almost never up to date with park times, special events or any of the things that would help me make better decisions on what I want on what days. I think the window to start booking should be more like 14-28 days out from first day of trip. Then I have all the information I need to plan my trip.

The window is too far out. It only benefits Disney knowing what your plans are so far out. But they've made it seem like the guests benefit from planning so far out. You really don't, in a sense (but you do if you get that coveted FP or dining reservation, of course)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom