Magic Kingdom going FP+ only on 1/14/14

JimboJones123

This is my gripe about fastpass.
I have two toddlers. While at animal kingdom I decided to attempt to get some fastpasses for safaris. My choice is to get two fastpasses for attractions the kids cannot do or lose my fastpasses for the day. This seems to be a problem at a park like Animal Kingdom. I hope they will lift the 3 at one park and allow you to spread them between parks. I do not mind limit of 3 but when my kids are scared of tough to be a bug, can't sit through Nemo since it is too long, too short to ride the rides, and one is deathly afraid of characters.... My choices are wait 60 min in line for safaris on busy days (which is hard with 2 toddlers) or give up my other 2 fastpasses. I think that there should be some consideration for this.

A majority of our visits to AK include 2-4 rides on the safari and little else. We bank fast passes and get lunch and loop the the rides over and over.

The park is essentially a ghost town to us besides that attraction. A water ride? A dark ride you cannot see anything in? The same 2 shows again and again? A broken roller coaster? 2 spin um up throw um up rides? Farting bugs? A train just to hike back to nothing?

Good thing they never built that Beastly Kingdomme with a slew of varied attractions. I sure hope the Alien and sex with animals attractions end up being fun.

stevehousse

A majority of our visits to AK include 2-4 rides on the safari and little else. We bank fast passes and get lunch and loop the the rides over and over.

The park is essentially a ghost town to us besides that attraction. A water ride? A dark ride you cannot see anything in? The same 2 shows again and again? A broken roller coaster? 2 spin um up throw um up rides? Farting bugs? A train just to hike back to nothing?

Good thing they never built that Beastly Kingdomme with a slew of varied attractions. I sure hope the Alien and sex with animals attractions end up being fun.
If you are looking to do only the safari multiple times with little ones here a big help your way:

Essentially, you can only have 1 FP+ per ride without doubling up, the system simply won't let you. However, once you use your FP+ for the safari, assuming it would be your first time for the day, once it's used up, all you have to do is go onto your phone and change one of the other fp+ picks and BAM! You will have the option of the safari again along with all the other rides!

Yes you will hve to choose useless FP+ to essentially "fill" your limit, but once it's been used you can go and choose that ride again as long as there are FP left for that said attraction!

ParentsOf4

Today's the day; only FP+ at MK.

It's a big day for MyMagic+. Disney is nearing the finish line with only a few more aspects to roll out.

touringplans.com is predicting a 5 out of 10 today at MK.

The FP+ kiosks, along with extra CM support, have shown that they can hnadle light to modest crowds at DAK. Lines grew for heavier crowds, which is not unreasonable, but many waiting in those 20-minute plus lines only to find out FP+ was left only for attractions like It's a Bug's Life.

MK will be the most interesting park to watch. FP+ selections for the other 3 parks are pretty obvious. Epcot, DHS, and DAK simply don't have enough good attractions worth FastPassing.

MK is different. With lots of attractions to choose from, it will be interesting to watch how long people take to make their selections.

With modest crowds expected today, with MK having so many FP+ selections, and with extra CMs manning the kiosks, today's roll out should go reasonably well. The rollout at DAK was a good learning experience.

As long as FP+ kiosk lines remain short and guests can get at least a couple of good selections in, FP+ should have a good day today.

Last edited:

Redhawk

Essentially, you can only have 1 FP+ per ride without doubling up, the system simply won't let you. However, once you use your FP+ for the safari, assuming it would be your first time for the day, once it's used up, all you have to do is go onto your phone and change one of the other fp+ picks and BAM! You will have the option of the safari again along with all the other rides!

Thank you so much for pointing this out! The couple of days I was in the parks last week using both FP+ and paper FP, it never occurred to me to ask if I could later change one FP+ selection to a ride I'd already used FP+ for that day. Wish I'd thought to try it, could have changed my unwanted Muppets to another ToT after my first ride.

I see it will all depend on avaibility and such but it already makes me even happier with FP+. While I enjoyed double-dipping last week and using both systems, I did appreciate that FP+ eliminates all that annoying rushing across parks to collect paper FP.

Redhawk

I think it depends on which consumer you're talking about. The Park Commando-type who knew how to work paper FP to maximum advantage and some other Disney veterans perhaps will feel a diminishment in their experience. Yet those who are visiting the park for the first time or the first time in many years may find the system works better for them and adds to their experience.

If you are staying on Disney property it seems Disney is making a big effort in advance of your vacation to explain how the MB and FP+ work, thus encouraging more guests to use them.

In the past it seems like a lot of people truly did not know how to use Fast Pass and didn't bother to ask, or maybe they felt using it "day-of" didn't work well for them, perhaps because it made them tramp across a park just to return to the one ride they had an FP for. For those folks, having the opportunity to chose in advance 3 FP+ may seem like a huge improvement.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

As an AP holder I experienced FP+ at AK yesterday. My biggest problem is how overly complex they made it. Why not just let you choose one attraction at a time and get a choice of available times? Then pick the next attraction.

The way the system assigns them and then you have to go through an ordeal to change things makes it a pain. It took the CM several minutes to do it.

The end result is we didn't even use the FPs. As far as what the system did to AK (we arrived around noon) which wasn't very busy, it made Dinosaur which used to be a walk-on have a good 15 minute wait. At the same time we walked onto the Safari and waited less than 5 minutes for EE.

I hope AP holders will get full access to the system soon. Forget about the advance reservations, I could see my times on the app but couldn't change them.

Disneyfamily4

I am looking forward to seeing the reviews of how this fast pass + is working starting March through August. Right now, parks are not busy. I'm thinking that people are happy now with just the 3 fast passes, being that they only have to wait in line for other rides for about 20-30 minutes.

As soon as peak season begins in March for Spring Break, after people use their 3 passes, wait times are up to 2 hours. Plus during Spring Break, with the enormous amount of people that go to Disney, the availability for fast pass times will decrease significantly.

Disneyfamily4

I am still hopeful that things will change.

In the end of the testing, I do not think that the guests, who stay off site, will get the same amount of past passes as the guests, who spend 4000 more to stay in the resorts. I am guessing that Disney will eventually give more passes as a perk to staying in the resort. Perhaps even a perk of being able to park hop and get 3 additional fast passes???

muteki

I am still hopeful that things will change.

In the end of the testing, I do not think that the guests, who stay off site, will get the same amount of past passes as the guests, who spend 4000 more to stay in the resorts. I am guessing that Disney will eventually give more passes as a perk to staying in the resort. Perhaps even a perk of being able to park hop and get 3 additional fast passes???
There are no additional fast passes left to give. The parks barely (if even) support 3 per person for one park a day. They can't support an additional 3 for park hoppers, unless they add more capacity.

KellyELock

If you use a kiosk, are you given a printed reciept with your selections?
We were at AK on Sunday, and the only option the CM gave us was to take a picture with our smart phone of his iPad screen which displayed our FastPass+ selections and times. Not sure if they will be doing it any different at MK today.

Disneyfamily4

There are no additional fast passes left to give. The parks barely (if even) support 3 per person for one park a day. They can't support an additional 3 for park hoppers, unless they add more capacity.

They can support it.

For the last 15 years I have gone to Magic Kingdom and used 5 or more fast passes there, then park hopped to Epcot and used two more there. On the monorail to park hop over, was my family, plus thousands of other people who were park hopping too.

And now you actually believe that if any more than 3 fast passes were given out, the entire system would be depleted. Absolutely not.

jlsHouston

They can support it.

For the last 15 years I have gone to Magic Kingdom and used 5 or more fast passes there, then park hopped to Epcot and used two more there. On the monorail to park hop over, was my family, plus thousands of other people who were park hopping too.

And now you actually believe that if any more than 3 fast passes were given out, the entire system would be depleted. Absolutely not.

I think you are correct, a lot of people used more than 3 FP's per day on the rides that offered them over two parks. My daughter with two small children in tow always used at least 4 per day at the main park she claims and if she switched parks she would grab whatever FP left there. At MK I think she said she never used less than 4 in a day kind of implying it was in excess of 4.

Disneyfamily4

I think you are correct, a lot of people used more than 3 FP's per day on the rides that offered them over two parks. My daughter with two small children in tow always used at least 4 per day at the main park she claims and if she switched parks she would grab whatever FP left there. At MK I think she said she never used less than 4 in a day kind of implying it was in excess of 4.

Exactly! For as long as Park Hopping has been available, people go to one park, use fast passes, then hop to the next and do the same.

Plus let me add, a friend of mine just got back from Disney and she attempted to get a guest assistance card from guest relations. My friend had paperwork, along with showing the cast member her insulin pump that is connected 24/7. The Cast member then instead of giving her the disability card, she programmed her band, along with the rest of her families, to be able to get 6 fast passes a day. The cast member said that this is a much better option then the card. (which with the new rules, it is). So if the Cast Members are allowed to program more passes, there is absolutely no jeopardy of the system not being able to support it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom