Magic Kingdom Fireworks Dessert Party price increase

Monorail_Orange

Ok, 5 pages in, and of all the users answering here, if I counted correctly, we've had 2 weigh in and say this is no biggie, they'd still pay. I did this Garden Plaza viewing with my family about 3 years ago. I think we paid around 60 for each adult and 30 for each child. We enjoyed it, and at that price while the value was pushing the envelope, we said maybe we'd do it again another time. Even at the current prices, I would be hard-pressed to commit, but with this increase? No way.

And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with this strategy. At some point, the law of diminishing marginal returns kicks in. The warning signs are glaring for this right now, the soft reception of GE on both coasts (partially because of Chapek cuts, largely because of price increases) should be sounding sirens. And yes, management is panicked, but instead of trying to plug the leaks in the boat, they're making the holes bigger to "let the water out faster."

PeoplemoverTTA

I’d like to point out that I had an entire country overlook ( France) guarded by 6 nametags wielding lightsaber for $18 an adult and $9 a child.

Now that was in 2004...when illuminations was still good - so awhile ago. 😎

But I don’t see everyone’s problem? Obviously 467% inflation for lesser product is reasonable and expected, right?

Carry on

For my wedding in 2014, we had a private dessert party "reception" for 20 people with a huge spread of desserts and drinks, tables and chairs for everyone in the UK with an amazing view of Illuminations. The CMs encouraged our friends and family to take the leftovers with them, because there was so much food. It was a wonderful way to wrap up our wedding day.

And it cost around half what it would cost now to potentially sit several rows back on Tomorrowland Terrace with a few hundred of your closest "friends". The pricing now is honestly ridiculous.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For my wedding in 2014, we had a private dessert party "reception" for 20 people with a huge spread of desserts and drinks, tables and chairs for everyone in the UK with an amazing view of Illuminations. The CMs encouraged our friends and family to take the leftovers with them, because there was so much food. It was a wonderful way to wrap up our wedding day.

And it cost around half what it would cost now to potentially sit several rows back on Tomorrowland Terrace with a few hundred of your closest "friends". The pricing now is honestly ridiculous.
Yeah...same deal...just 10 years earlier. Living seas and the dessert thing...fraction of the cost now 😉

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
. Very “novice” level of tongue in cheek, is it not?

So do I...but why would I say that here? Because it sounds elitist...maybe?

I usually agree with you but this comes off really smelly...it does.

And if you need a reason -
Which you don’t as a bright boy/girl - is that paying for something without valuation is NEVER a good idea as a general attitude.

The wealthiest people in the world will always tell you not to pay ransoms driven by emotion. They don’t need to look at a price...but it’s a universal accepted concept.

That’s what is missing in wdw consumers more than anything now. And I have to recognize it in myself at times as well. It’s an appropriate price or it isn’t based on value...not means.
“Responsible consumerism”

This is a stock company with a cashing out CEO and obtuse board...you let them drive the prices like a race horse and it will end badly for EVERYONE as the street dictates the future. Has to be some resolve by the consumer to force pause in the seller.

If they would enforce thier own posted rules of conduct and dress that might mitigate this a bit. Its a sad commentary on disneyworld consumers as a whole having to do this to begin with.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If they would enforce thier own posted rules of conduct and dress that might mitigate this a bit. Its a sad commentary on disneyworld consumers as a whole having to do this to begin with.
I agree...but it’s natural because wdw was built for a middle class clientele and is buried in the south.

I.e. not “luxury”.

Simple people tend to have simple standards and have simple, rough edged fun

YorkshireT

Being wealthy doesn’t mean wasting ones money and being happy about being ripped off. In fact, people who have made a lot of money are not likely to be ripped off. And yes, this is a rip off.
What we call here in Yorkshire - ‘ Ten Bob Millionaires’ is what this type of stuff appeals to - (ten bob being a 50 new pence to replace a 50 Shilling note on UK decimalisation- i.e about 60 cents). Which mean someone who throws their limited resources around for all kinds of psychological reasons.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
What this whole thread is really becoming is wealth-shaming and finger pointing.

Let people spend (or not spend) as they wish. Disney wouldn't be increasing the price on this if they didn't have the built-in audience for it.

I can't fault the Mouse for being a smart businessrodent.
Wealth shaming online is a socially accepted form of bullying.

I have a vague idea what wealth shaming is, and as hysterical as that is on it's own. I'd like to ask...

What in this thread would be considered wealth shaming?

bryanfze55

Disney is building their business on extracting every last dollar from “one-and-done” guests. I have a hard time imagining people who go regularly would want to do a dessert party that often. It’s just not worth it. I’ve never done it and don’t really have the desire to. It doesn’t even cross my mind when I’m at the parks.

Bocabear

Ok, 5 pages in, and of all the users answering here, if I counted correctly, we've had 2 weigh in and say this is no biggie, they'd still pay. I did this Garden Plaza viewing with my family about 3 years ago. I think we paid around 60 for each adult and 30 for each child. We enjoyed it, and at that price while the value was pushing the envelope, we said maybe we'd do it again another time. Even at the current prices, I would be hard-pressed to commit, but with this increase? No way.

And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with this strategy. At some point, the law of diminishing marginal returns kicks in. The warning signs are glaring for this right now, the soft reception of GE on both coasts (partially because of Chapek cuts, largely because of price increases) should be sounding sirens. And yes, management is panicked, but instead of trying to plug the leaks in the boat, they're making the holes bigger to "let the water out faster."
Those 2 that said "No Biggie, I would still pay" are probably Disney employees steering the conversation...
'It has become shameful the way they continue to do less and less, lower the quality while raising the prices. We used to go much more often, but now find going on a cruise or international travel is actually cheaper than a few days at WDW...

Monorail_Orange

Those 2 that said "No Biggie, I would still pay" are probably Disney employees steering the conversation...
'It has become shameful the way they continue to do less and less, lower the quality while raising the prices. We used to go much more often, but now find going on a cruise or international travel is actually cheaper than a few days at WDW...
I think there are many "Disney Employees" on this forum. I'm sure some of them steer or try to steer the conversation. But I think most of those CMs are here because of the very same reason, that they are CMs...they love Disney.

As to your second point, I don't think you're alone, and it's rather disappointing right now that the reaction to the rather tepid attendance this year is to double-down on cuts and increase prices (and add more "premium" ex$pene$). It seems to me the wiser move would be to first try ADDING (entertainment and service) and see if that moves the needle, and if that's not enough, ease off on some of the price gouging.

bryanfze55

While I agree prices are out of control, idk if I would say international travel is cheaper than a FEW days at WDW. To take my family of four to Europe is already $4,000 for just the flights, minimum. That’s before spending on anything else. WDW is still cheaper unless you insist on staying at the Polynesian maybe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom