Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Yes. Then died two years ago.

The idea that any of those would be replaced at the same time as SWL opening or shortly thereafter would only be realistic if there was something greenlit to replace them. And there isn't. All those things are assumed to be going away, but until a decision is made and money budgeted, they're staying forever. Or, at the worst, remaining empty like Stitch's Great Escape.

Insiders have said that Star Tours will be around for one or two years past SWL to soak up the extra SW crowds and to highlight a scene from Episode 9. But until they tell us what has definitely been decided to replace ST... expect it to be around for many years to come.
Wouldn't replacements for attractions of those kind be rather quick to implement? Like couldn't they theoretically not be greeanlit till January of 2021and still be safely ready to premier that summer? Other than Star Tours which might take more time

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wouldn't replacements for attractions of those kind be rather quick to implement? Like couldn't they theoretically not be greeanlit till January of 2021and still be safely ready to premier that summer? Other than Star Tours which might take more time

Stitch's Great Escape.

mikejs78

Premium Member
No can do on Ant-Man. And I could be wrong, but I don't think you will find many people around here clamoring for "more Marvel!!!" at WDW.

Personally, I'd have no problem with keeping Star Tours around for years after the opening of SW:GE, simply from the standpoint that 3 SW attractions > 2 SW attractions.
I'd love more Marvel at DHS as a big fan of the MCU. But it isn't going to happen, because Universal contract.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Stitch's Great Escape.
Yeah, but that's at least a full fledged attraction with effects and animatronics and all. The temporary Star Wars stuff is: a collection of movie props with a meet and greet, some costumed characters posing on a generic outdoor stage, and a clip show in an unthemed theater.

TTA94

For those that have heard things, I know It might be way to early, but is there a proposed name being tossed around of MKs new nighttime parade? Hopefully it’s not “Paint The Night” name wise and hopefully a different soundtrack, Orchestrated and not “When Can We Do This Again”.

Last edited:

Tayoboy

In the Parks
Yes
For those that have heard things, is there a proposed name of MKs new nighttime parade? Hopefully it’s not “Paint The Night” name wise and hopefully a different soundtrack, Orchestrated and not “When Can We Do This Again”.
The Bob Chapek Spectacular, it'll be multiple floats telling the story of Chapek. Coming to a Magic Kingdom near you!

tonymu

Premium Member
51. Refurb of Tomorrowland's facades
52. Whatever will replace Stitch
53. As mentioned, can't think they won't have a new 50th celebration day parade, or tweak FoF enough to make it one.
54-56. Whatever stuff they get done as part of the Epcot spine renovation
57. Coco overlay is still on the table. Gasping for breath.
58. WoL installation might be two things!
59. Outside chance for an extra ride/attraction at DHS or DAK (apart from what's replacing DinoRama).
60. Skyliner
61. Coronado Tower
62. Riviera Tower
63. Project 89 (new Wilderness DVC and/or hotel)
64. Parade of captured Fox executives down Main Street

Things pretty iffy, IMO:

a) Launch Bay and Star Tours replacements, and Star Wars Hub shows: I'm sure it's the plan to replace them. But without a plan for the plan, the plan is inertia and just letting them be.
b) Tower of Terror: If they're touching it, it won't be a minor thing. TZ will be out.
c) ITTBaB: no insider has given that any odds of that ever being touched.
d) I doubt WDW will take credit for a Swolphin tower.

#64 made me snort out loud!

geekza

For those that have heard things, I know It might be way to early, but is there a proposed name being tossed around of MKs new nighttime parade? Hopefully it’s not “Paint The Night” name wise and hopefully a different soundtrack, Orchestrated and not “When Can We Do This Again”.
I hear it's going to be an after-hours event with strictly limited capacity for an upcharge of $150. It will be called "Hard-Ticket Hoopla!" (Dessert Party available for an extra $100.(Dessert an extra $25(Immersive Limited Collectible Commemorative Cupcake $50)))

CanadianGordon

I want something grand Disney. 50 things is a great start. But if they're all cupcakes and parties then count me out. I want a new nighttime parade, not PTN, something new and original to WDW.
I want new shows, I want new attractions, and I want to see the parks shine and sparkle.

Kman101

I think we should all have our expectations in check. We know most of what we're getting (besides maybe some refreshes to attractions that WDW seems to like to put off or decline doing or shifting the funding). I think we set ourselves up to be disappointed and outraged. Expect nothing and hopefully we can be a little surprised.

I know this whole thread is a discussion of this, but what would most of you consider "appropriate" for a celebration? I mean, no one is ever going to be 100% satisfied with what they do.

For me it would simply be a light parade not called Paint The Night. I don't want a clone. I'm sick of clones. I want unique things. I don't mind certain rides being clones here and there, but why do three parks need a Paint the Night parade? It's not THAT great.

Also I need some ride refreshes. Although they failed with Pirates and Flights of Wonder-into-UP, imho, (they could have done a much better job on both) so I hesitate to want them to touch anything. They can't even seem to bring themselves to give us the Big Thunder updates that have been in the other parks for several years now.

They failed giving us a true Space Mountain overhaul nearly a decade ago.

Again, I say we keep expectations in check ...

That being said I wish they would go all out with the 50th. We'll see how they promote it and what they do. I personally think decorating the castle is overrated (I didn't like Disneyland's 60th decor on the castle, sorry folks, it was tacky and a lot of their castle is still damaged). If they don't decorate it, does it make the celebration a "failure"? Just curious what some would consider a "hit" or a "fail" in terms of a promotion.

TTA94

I think we should all have our expectations in check. We know most of what we're getting (besides maybe some refreshes to attractions that WDW seems to like to put off or decline doing or shifting the funding). I think we set ourselves up to be disappointed and outraged. Expect nothing and hopefully we can be a little surprised.

I know this whole thread is a discussion of this, but what would most of you consider "appropriate" for a celebration? I mean, no one is ever going to be 100% satisfied with what they do.

For me it would simply be a light parade not called Paint The Night. I don't want a clone. I'm sick of clones. I want unique things. I don't mind certain rides being clones here and there, but why do three parks need a Paint the Night parade? It's not THAT great.

Also I need some ride refreshes. Although they failed with Pirates and Flights of Wonder-into-UP, imho, (they could have done a much better job on both) so I hesitate to want them to touch anything. They can't even seem to bring themselves to give us the Big Thunder updates that have been in the other parks for several years now.

They failed giving us a true Space Mountain overhaul nearly a decade ago.

Again, I say we keep expectations in check ...

That being said I wish they would go all out with the 50th. We'll see how they promote it and what they do. I personally think decorating the castle is overrated (I didn't like Disneyland's 60th decor on the castle, sorry folks, it was tacky and a lot of their castle is still damaged). If they don't decorate it, does it make the celebration a "failure"? Just curious what some would consider a "hit" or a "fail" in terms of a promotion.

I agreed. I think all of us want at least as big of a celebration, hopefully bigger, as Disneyland’s 50th. Their 50th was a very big deal. I feel though the direction WDW will be taking is more along the lines of Disneylands 60th and focusing on nighttime entertainment.

Unfortunately DLs 50th was a big deal due the fact it’s very much local fan based. WDW is heavily tourists based where many guests, maybe it’s 50/50 thing, do not have a clue, or care, about celebrations and Anniversaries. They just care about being there and getting/enjoying the most out of their vacation. Unfortunately WDW is aware of this and therefore likely won’t go all out like Disneyland did. I’d love to be wrong though!

Kman101

I agreed. I think all of us want at least as big of a celebration, hopefully bigger, as Disneyland’s 50th. Their 50th was a very big deal. I feel though the direction WDW will be taking is more along the lines of Disneylands 60th and focusing on nighttime entertainment.

Unfortunately DLs 50th was a big deal due the fact it’s very much local fan based. WDW is heavily tourists based where many guests, maybe it’s 50/50 thing, do not have a clue, or care, about celebrations and Anniversaries. They just care about being there and getting/enjoying the most out of their vacation. Unfortunately WDW is aware of this and therefore likely won’t go all out like Disneyland did. I’d love to be wrong though!

Yep, they know they can get away with not doing much. I think they do feel some sort of pressure to make it seem big for the 50th but how far they'll go remains to be seen. We know how cheap they can be, lol.

I imagine D23 2019 could be interesting. Let's hope anyway. Though I think we all expect too much of the D23 Expo (even though it should, IMO, be used to promote projects, it always feels a bit of a letdown, for various reasons - we know about most of what's coming so the excitement is no longer there, it's old news to us)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom