Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbinsDad

Even a repaint would be problematic for projection mapping, although, not as much as changing its shape.

E.g., if a turret top is dark blue, then the projection on that section of the castle accounts for that and adjusts color and brightness. If you then repaint it gold, then the projection has to re-colorize and re-light that section for how the bright yellow and higher shine will affect the projection at that spot.

A paint job, though, it a lot easier to account for than physical alterations which warp the image.

Since they have the projectors and they have the castle mapped, it'd just be easier to project a 50th celebration than to physically alter the castle. During the day, they can have banners that roll up at night. There is no law that says the castle must be physically altered for an anniversary celebration.
Agreed. Any alterations to the castle moving forward will likely be virtual and not physical. The tech is too good, and its cheaper than construction.

I hope the do a little something for the 45th since we're going next August. I didn't realize it until I pulled out our old pictures the other day after we picked our dates but it turns out we were last there for the 35th. At that time they were selling buttons that lit up during the parade for I think $19.99 each. Pretty crazy expensive I know, but we split the cost with friends who were there a couple of weeks before us. The cool thing was CM's in the parade were taught to watch for the buttons and wave toward them. My kids thought they were real VIP's.

Time Travel?

Alright. 50 things for the 50th.

Let's assume they are counting things starting in 2019. It makes sense. Its what i would do. The amount of construction, quiet reopenings from smallish scale refurbs, event openings of new attractions, and everything else... It would be crazy anf impractical for 50 things to be in one year unless they are counting just bathroom cleaning and everything.

So, 50 things spread across 2019, 2020, and 2021. Let's count up what those might be based on the info we have and rumors and safe assumptions.

1. Tron Coaster
  2. Club 33 (hopefully only counted more than once for all four parks)
  3. Thunder Mountain Third Lift Hill Effects (rumors pointed towards this being postponed to the 50th)
  4. Hatbox Ghost addition (rumored that a second was built when the built Disneyland's and just stored in a warehouse for the 50th)
  5. Small World adding Disney characters (uuuuuggghhhhh fine. It's rumored)
  6. Carousel of Progress update (insiders say it's happening as relatively major)
  7. People Mover update (probably small, new scene or two)
  8. Speedway update (tronify it)
  9. New nighttime parade
  10. New fireworks show (new projection show at the very least)
  11. Jungle Cruise Update tied to movie (rumored for if the movie does well)
  12. New Spaceship Earth Update (just my assumption, but it feels like a new narrator is overdue. And while I'd hope for a new descent, just updating what you do with the screens to be less terrible could be enough for now)
  13. GotG Coaster
  14. Wonders of Life rumored replacement
  15. Space Restaurant
  16. Pixar Short Film Replacement (even just new Pixar/Disney shorts. Don't even need to make anything actually new if they don't want to)
  17. Living will the Land Update
  18. Circle of Life Replacement (assumed)
  19. Seas with Nemo Update
  20. Rat Ride
  21. Poppins Ride (or whatever in the UK)
  22. Brazil Pavilion
  23. New China Film
  24. Refreshed France Film
  25. IllumiNations new show
  26. Star Wars Land (yes I do think they'd count the land itself as a separate item from the things in it and if Star Wars Land really is on the level of Potter or Cars Land in terms of scale of theming it's arguably justified)
  27. Battle Escape
  28. Millennium Falcon
  29. Cantina Restaurant
  30. Star Wars Resort
  31. Mickey Minnie Railroad
  32. Launch Bay Replacement
  33. Lightning McQueen show
  34. Replacement for one of the current shows at Hollywood studios
  35. Fantasmic Update (rumored? Assumed? Not sure)
  36. Path of the Jedi Replacement
  37. Tower of Terror update (nothing too crazy probably)
  38. New HUB stage show in Hollywood Studios
  39. Star Tours Replacement (kind of a long shot to be so soon. But presumably will happen eventually, why not in 2021? Should be a relatively quick retheme once the video is made)
  40. Yeti being fixed (brought up again by Rhodes recently. The 50th would be perfect)
  41. Primeval Whirl replacement (whatever that winds up being)
  42. Nemo theater replacement (if that does still happen)
  43. River of Light update/replacement
  44. Tough to Be a Bug Replacement (my assumption. It's not popular or beloved. And a 3D movie is easy enough to replace cheaply and quickly)
  45. New Monorails
  46. New Swan and Dolphin Tower
  47. New Resort
  48. New Slide at Blizzard Beach (assumed. It's way overdue especially with Volcano Bay)
  49. NBA Experience at Disney Springs
  50. New Cirque Show at Disney Springs

So, that's 50 without very few assumptions not based on things currently rumored and being discussed and no real stretching. If you could starting in 2019 at least which, as I said, is only practical for 50 things.

Hoping that, if it happens, the Indiana Jones retheming of Dinosaur is done by then.

TTA94

I wonder how well MK is holding up now a days with no parade at night? Have they successfully swept a nighttime parade under the rug to where the average guests have no idea there used to be one?

Cesar R M

Alright. 50 things for the 50th.

Let's assume they are counting things starting in 2019. It makes sense. Its what i would do. The amount of construction, quiet reopenings from smallish scale refurbs, event openings of new attractions, and everything else... It would be crazy anf impractical for 50 things to be in one year unless they are counting just bathroom cleaning and everything.

So, 50 things spread across 2019, 2020, and 2021. Let's count up what those might be based on the info we have and rumors and safe assumptions.

1. Tron Coaster
  2. Club 33 (hopefully only counted more than once for all four parks)
  3. Thunder Mountain Third Lift Hill Effects (rumors pointed towards this being postponed to the 50th)
  4. Hatbox Ghost addition (rumored that a second was built when the built Disneyland's and just stored in a warehouse for the 50th)
  5. Small World adding Disney characters (uuuuuggghhhhh fine. It's rumored)
  6. Carousel of Progress update (insiders say it's happening as relatively major)
  7. People Mover update (probably small, new scene or two)
  8. Speedway update (tronify it)
  9. New nighttime parade
  10. New fireworks show (new projection show at the very least)
  11. Jungle Cruise Update tied to movie (rumored for if the movie does well)
  12. New Spaceship Earth Update (just my assumption, but it feels like a new narrator is overdue. And while I'd hope for a new descent, just updating what you do with the screens to be less terrible could be enough for now)
  13. GotG Coaster
  14. Wonders of Life rumored replacement
  15. Space Restaurant
  16. Pixar Short Film Replacement (even just new Pixar/Disney shorts. Don't even need to make anything actually new if they don't want to)
  17. Living will the Land Update
  18. Circle of Life Replacement (assumed)
  19. Seas with Nemo Update
  20. Rat Ride
  21. Poppins Ride (or whatever in the UK)
  22. Brazil Pavilion
  23. New China Film
  24. Refreshed France Film
  25. IllumiNations new show
  26. Star Wars Land (yes I do think they'd count the land itself as a separate item from the things in it and if Star Wars Land really is on the level of Potter or Cars Land in terms of scale of theming it's arguably justified)
  27. Battle Escape
  28. Millennium Falcon
  29. Cantina Restaurant
  30. Star Wars Resort
  31. Mickey Minnie Railroad
  32. Launch Bay Replacement
  33. Lightning McQueen show
  34. Replacement for one of the current shows at Hollywood studios
  35. Fantasmic Update (rumored? Assumed? Not sure)
  36. Path of the Jedi Replacement
  37. Tower of Terror update (nothing too crazy probably)
  38. New HUB stage show in Hollywood Studios
  39. Star Tours Replacement (kind of a long shot to be so soon. But presumably will happen eventually, why not in 2021? Should be a relatively quick retheme once the video is made)
  40. Yeti being fixed (brought up again by Rhodes recently. The 50th would be perfect)
  41. Primeval Whirl replacement (whatever that winds up being)
  42. Nemo theater replacement (if that does still happen)
  43. River of Light update/replacement
  44. Tough to Be a Bug Replacement (my assumption. It's not popular or beloved. And a 3D movie is easy enough to replace cheaply and quickly)
  45. New Monorails
  46. New Swan and Dolphin Tower
  47. New Resort
  48. New Slide at Blizzard Beach (assumed. It's way overdue especially with Volcano Bay)
  49. NBA Experience at Disney Springs
  50. New Cirque Show at Disney Springs

So, that's 50 without very few assumptions not based on things currently rumored and being discussed and no real stretching. If you could starting in 2019 at least which, as I said, is only practical for 50 things.
why are you counting the new Swan Dolphin tower? or Cirque? or NBA?

Also.. lightning mcqueen show? I havent read of that one...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sorry if this has been stated already, but do we have confirmation on dates of the 50th Anniversary celebration? I think it was mentioned in the @MisterPenguin tracking thread that it would go from May 2021 through the end of 2022. Is that still true? I believe the 25th Anniversary “cake castle” (which contrary to popular opinion I actually liked) went from Oct 1 1996 until the end of January 1998 so that seems about the same timeframe. Just trying to do some longer term planning.

Kamikaze

Sorry if this has been stated already, but do we have confirmation on dates of the 50th Anniversary celebration? I think it was mentioned in the @MisterPenguin tracking thread that it would go from May 2021 through the end of 2022. Is that still true? I believe the 25th Anniversary “cake castle” (which contrary to popular opinion I actually liked) went from Oct 1 1996 until the end of January 1998 so that seems about the same timeframe. Just trying to do some longer term planning.

We don't know that for sure, but an ~18 month celebration is probably a good bet. It doesn't mean everything new/refurbed would be open for the beginning of the celebration, however.

Added: DLR's 50th was May 2005 through Sept 2006, so 17 months.

wdwdonnie

I seen PTN couple years ago and really liked it when they pulled the plug on MSEP I was hoping it came to WDW floats were great and soundtrack to it was just as good !

brb1006

I seen PTN couple years ago and really liked it when they pulled the plug on MSEP I was hoping it came to WDW floats were great and soundtrack to it was just as good !
But is PTN as good as the previous speculator nighttime parade as Fantillusion or Spectromagic?

wdwdonnie

But is PTN as good as the previous speculator nighttime parade as Fantillusion or Spectromagic?
I think it was as good , I really like it with all the new technology and I am one those that like to keep what Walt’s dream was for what Disney means

geekza

I fell into a Youtube hole over the weekend and made the mistake of starting to watch one of those terrible clickbait videos about Disney's Worst Theme Park Mistakes. The first thing they mentioned was the 25th Castle overlay. What made it terrible is that the guy openly admitted he hadn't been around to see it in person but that the pictures of it looked bad, so therefore it must have been the worst thing ever and people everywhere hated it. No they didn't. True, we mostly had newsgroups to gripe on back then, but I don't really recall too many folks making a stink about it. The folks who were in the MK when I was there in January of '97 seemed to really like it. I know I did. We knew it was a temporary thing and thought it was neat. I turned off the video after the first minute.

Ripken10

I fell into a Youtube hole over the weekend and made the mistake of starting to watch one of those terrible clickbait videos about Disney's Worst Theme Park Mistakes. The first thing they mentioned was the 25th Castle overlay. What made it terrible is that the guy openly admitted he hadn't been around to see it in person but that the pictures of it looked bad, so therefore it must have been the worst thing ever and people everywhere hated it. No they didn't. True, we mostly had newsgroups to gripe on back then, but I don't really recall too many folks making a stink about it. The folks who were in the MK when I was there in January of '97 seemed to really like it. I know I did. We knew it was a temporary thing and thought it was neat. I turned off the video after the first minute.
It was horrible. We went during the cake, and I can remember is how much my mother complained about it, as well as other family members with us. It was the biggest mistake I can ever remember anybody ever making for an anniversary. My mother was a Disney travel agent, and all she ever got was complaints about it.

geekza

It was horrible. We went during the cake, and I can remember is how much my mother complained about it, as well as other family members with us. It was the biggest mistake I can ever remember anybody ever making for an anniversary. My mother was a Disney travel agent, and all she ever got was complaints about it.
Why did you feel it was so horrible? Nobody thought it was a permanent change and, honestly, it was fun. To each their own, I suppose.

Bocabear

Why did you feel it was so horrible? Nobody thought it was a permanent change and, honestly, it was fun. To each their own, I suppose.
It was so horrible...But 20 years later we are all still talking about it, so it did what it was meant to do...It was meant to be outrageous and memorable... and it was... and as a completely temporary overlay just for fun, it was just that... I prefer something less cartoony and more elegant like the Magic Mirror overlay, but I applaud them trying something monumental and outrageous.

Ripken10

It was so horrible...But 20 years later we are all still talking about it, so it did what it was meant to do...It was meant to be outrageous and memorable... and it was... and as a completely temporary overlay just for fun, it was just that... I prefer something less cartoony and more elegant like the Magic Mirror overlay, but I applaud them trying something monumental and outrageous.
My mother was definitely a pixer duster. Never heard her complain about anything. She complained about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom