Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I find that surprising. Judging it on Sept-Nov seems silly now that we’ve seen that the crowds were so, so bananas in Jan-early March. They really couldn’t have been much higher, they hit a 9/10 or 10/10 by TP calculations on 20/29 days in February.

But I don’t know how TDO judges success.
The crowd control procedures that were only needed for a fraction of the expected time - or not needed at all - are a sore point.

GE drew crowds but the park as a whole didn’t see the sustained increase expected. But this has been talked about a lot elsewhere - this Isn’t the right thread.

Surferboy567

that it's basically a half-day park whereas all the others at least have the potential for a full day. I don't know how you could even do a full day at DHS unless you just wanted to ride the same rides repeatedly and wait in line every time.

I can agree with you on the half-day argument. Then again, I like to jump around when I’m there since it makes the days feel so much longer.

I think it's still the worst park at WDW, so it's going to take a lot more than one solid addition to bump it up.

Not that it's bad (it's solid and I certainly wouldn't skip it)

I haven't been on ROTR or MMRR yet, but they both look like good rides (ROTR looks incredible). With MMRR just replacing another great ride, though, the rest of Galaxy's Edge more like a double than a home run, and TSL being an almost complete failure, DHS still needs a lot of work.

The thing is if I had to tell you what I think the worst park right now is it would be between EPCOT and AK. Like what you said none of them are bad but their is clearly something missing there.

This actually isn’t EPCOT’s fault because it’s a construction zone, as soon as it is finished and their isn’t a crater in the middle of it I’m sure I won’t even consider it for the spot.

EPCOT has:
Spaceship Earth (It’s a classic in desperate need of a update)
The Seas w Nemo and Friends (It’s harmless fun no “wow”)
Soarin’ (I love it but FOP has blown it out of the water)
Mission Space (harmless)
Figment (...moving on)
Test Track (I love it)
Gran Fiesta Tour (see Nemo)
Frozen (I enjoy it, really good AA’s fun ride...I guess I can call it a high level D maybe a low level E?)
World Showcase (I’ll give it to you that is great)

However it WILL have:
Rat (A complement that should fit nicely)
Guardians (This has to be the big “wow” ride and it looks promising)
Spaceship Earth? (Could be great)
Crater fixed up
HarmoniUS (this could be great, could go wrong, I’m sure it’s better then ghost children)

I‘ll always have a soft spot though for EPCOT I adore the park, and I’m sure it will reclaim some of it’s former glory.

AK also isn’t bad, plenty of do but I think their could be more “wow” rides for me. Sure, they have FOP, Kilmanjaro Everest, and even the larger area of Pandora but the park could use more attractions.

HWS has:
ROTR (My favorite ride ever) E ++
MMRR (I haven’t ridden it yet, but from what I have seen I really enjoy it, maybe even better then GMR too different to compare) E
Millennium Falcom (a fun complement)
Slinky
Toy Story Mania (another fun complement)
Star Tours (fun complement)
Muppet Vision (a delight but not a “wow”)
Rock N Roll (never ridden it, sure it’s fun but never liked looping coasters maybe I’ll try one day)
Twilight (a solid e-ticket, never ridden it but I don’t have to, to appreciate it) though I do love Mission Breakout.
The whole area of TSL (I find it charming but can understand where people have faults)
The whole area of GE (I love it, definitely has it’s faults)

The one thing about HWS is that it is a small park as @marni1971 and yourself have said it just needs more to do. Being a huge Star Wars fan also plays into it.

Again, none of them are bad, and like you I certainly wouldn’t skip any. Not sure, if HWS is the worst. Of course it’s up to the individual person.

EDIT: The more I think about it the harder it is to make a decision. The more I think about HWS though, I can understand your point.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I can agree with you on the half-day argument. Then again, I like to jump around when I’m there since it makes the days feel so much longer.

The thing is if I had to tell you what I think the worst park right now is it would be between EPCOT and AK. Like what you said none of them are bad but their is clearly something missing there.

This actually isn’t EPCOT’s fault because it’s a construction zone, as soon as it is finished and their isn’t a crater in the middle of it I’m sure I won’t even consider it for the spot.

EPCOT has:
Spaceship Earth (It’s a classic in desperate need of a update)
The Seas w Nemo and Friends (It’s harmless fun no “wow”)
Soarin’ (I love it but FOP has blown it out of the water)
Mission Space (harmless)
Figment (...moving on)
Test Track (I love it)
Gran Fiesta Tour (see Nemo)
Frozen (I enjoy it, really good AA’s fun ride...I guess I can call it a high level D maybe a low level E?)
World Showcase (I’ll give it to you that is great)

However it WILL have:
Rat (A complement that should fit nicely)
Guardians (This has to be the big “wow” ride and it looks promising)
Spaceship Earth? (Could be great)
Crater fixed up
HarmoniUS (this could be great, could go wrong, I’m sure it’s better then ghost children)

I‘ll always have a soft spot though for EPCOT I adore the park, and I’m sure it will reclaim some of it’s former glory.

AK also isn’t bad, plenty of do but I think their could be more “wow” rides for me. Sure, they have FOP, Kilmanjaro Everest, and even the larger area of Pandora but the park could use more attractions.

HWS has:
ROTR (My favorite ride ever) E ++
MMRR (I haven’t ridden it yet, but from what I have seen I really enjoy it, maybe even better then GMR too different to compare) E
Millennium Falcom (a fun complement)
Slinky
Toy Story Mania (another fun complement)
Star Tours (fun complement)
Muppet Vision (a delight but not a “wow”)
Rock N Roll (never ridden it, sure it’s fun but never liked looping coasters maybe I’ll try one day)
Twilight (a solid e-ticket, never ridden it but I don’t have to, to appreciate it) though I do love Mission Breakout.
The whole area of TSL (I find it charming but can understand where people have faults)
The whole area of GE (I love it, definitely has it’s faults)

The one thing about HWS is that it is a small park as @marni1971 and yourself have said it just needs more to do. Being a huge Star Wars fan also plays into it.

Again, none of them are bad, and like you I certainly wouldn’t skip any. Not sure, if HWS is the worst. Of course it’s up to the individual person.

I actually think Animal Kingdom is the best park right now! Hard to compare anything with Magic Kingdom, of course, just because of how much is there, but the whole aesthetic/theming at Animal Kingdom is so good.

If you're judging things on just rides alone, though, I could see putting EPCOT/AK at the bottom. AK has a few really great rides and very little else in that space, and EPCOT currently only has three rides I really care about -- Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, and Soarin'. Haven't been on the newest Test Track which looks pretty fun in videos, just not as good as the two previous rides in that space. I actually think Frozen Ever After is terrible.

I also haaaate Toy Story Mania, so that definitely drags down DHS and especially TSL for me considering a lot of people love it.

Surferboy567

I actually think Animal Kingdom is the best park right now! Hard to compare anything with Magic Kingdom, of course, just because of how much is there, but the whole aesthetic/theming at Animal Kingdom is so good.

If you're judging things on just rides alone, though, I could see putting EPCOT/AK at the bottom. AK has a few really great rides and very little else in that space, and EPCOT currently only has three rides I really care about -- Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, and Soarin'. Haven't been on the newest Test Track which looks pretty fun in videos, just not as good as the two previous rides in that space. I actually think Frozen Ever After is terrible.

I also haaaate Toy Story Mania, so that definitely drags down DHS and especially TSL for me considering a lot of people love it.

Yeah, I don’t want to undercut the parks but just judging them on rides only. It’s so hard to judge these parks. They are all some of my favorite places to visit. I don’t even know now I can even give a rating anymore after this conversation. Never hated frozen, or mania.

Last edited:

TTA94

Good news I guess...... I'd feel better if we knew Entertainment was on it's way back but IDK if we'll get any dates soon..

I doubt it but for all we know a new parade could be currently in construction like Harmonius is. That or they could be toying around with the idea of a interim borrowed parade.

Was thinking about it, Does the Fantillusion floats still exist?

UpAllNight

MK needs some love so desperately.

For the most visited park on the planet it sure as hell feels stale in places. As much as I welcome Tron, if it was an outright decision of Tron or investing the money in giving existing MK attractions some attention, the later should have happened.

There’s superior versions of every MK attraction across the world, other than maybe Splash which they’re replacing & HM. That’s so poor..what makes MK stand out? Why would I choose to visit over Disneyland if I had the option?

I don’t feel like Disney have an excuse to skimp on these improvements, Covid or not. They should have happened years ago.

The fact the last financials mentioned WDW is having a positive contribution to finances despite being empty shows further how the company have raked it in, rinsed the parks and failed to reinvest sufficiently. Cheap.

TYOTimer

MK needs some love so desperately.

For the most visited park on the planet it sure as hell feels stale in places. As much as I welcome Tron, if it was an outright decision of Tron or investing the money in giving existing MK attractions some attention, the later should have happened.

There’s superior versions of every MK attraction across the world, other than maybe Splash which they’re replacing & HM. That’s so poor..what makes MK stand out? Why would I choose to visit over Disneyland if I had the option?

I don’t feel like Disney have an excuse to skimp on these improvements, Covid or not. They should have happened years ago.

The fact the last financials mentioned WDW is having a positive contribution to finances despite being empty shows further how the company have raked it in, rinsed the parks and failed to reinvest sufficiently. Cheap.
I’ve said this since 2016, this park needs massive help. It’s become the mixed bag of every Disney Castle Park, but the park is also injected with massive parts of nostalgia, which after about 10 minutes to people who care about the little Disney details, wears away and flaws become noticeably evident.

This is also where the issue of the focus of “fixing one park at a time” becomes evident as well, the same thing that has made EPCOT what it is. My worry now, is that Magic will suffer the same fate EPCOT did around 9/11

TTA94

I can’t substantiate it so can’t say.

Well you didn’t say out right Not Happening lol. That’s a tiny glimmer of hope lol.

While DL was likely stubborn pre covid to allow WDW to take any of their parades, circumstances obviously are different now, and leadership. So while I could be way wrong, I think anything could happen at this point. Both MSEP and PTN continuing to sit in DLs warehouse is nuts. Even if DL is able, or wants to, bring one of them back next year, they still don’t need both. Just saying lol.

RSoxNo1

While another E-ticket would be fine, but what DHS really needs is a bunch of smaller complimentary C-tickets. Some Fantasyland style dark rides would really complete the park
That's where making a Pixar land (not just Toy Story Land) would have made sense. Half a dozen C/D ticket Pixar rides would be great.

A new E with the capacity of an E wouldn’t go amiss either.
Shanghai Pirates tech?

Brer Panther

While another E-ticket would be fine, but what DHS really needs is a bunch of smaller complimentary C-tickets. Some Fantasyland style dark rides would really complete the park
I honestly wish they would actually go through with that "make Animation Courtyard into a Monsters Inc. land" rumor so we could get a fun dark ride a la Tokyo's Ride and Go Seek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom