Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surferboy567

One more solid addition to the studios and it easily is one of the best Disney Parks.

I really like Studios in it’s current state right now (especially Rise, Runaway, TSL, and GE) but it could use 1-2 more heavy hitters.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One more solid addition to the studios and it easily is one of the best Disney Parks.
Nowhere near. But it’s better than it was. There’s still too much dead wood, lack of middle tier rides and lack of actual room.

Whilst more appealing, the recent additions haven’t increased attraction or park capacity as much as would be needed. Their fingers were burnt with SWL though. Add COVID and future plans are less clear than they were.

Surferboy567

Do they still feel that way? From when ROTR opened until COVID they were SLAMMED, across all 4 parks but especially at DHS, and I thought that was the whole point.

I have to say, I feel the same way as you. The rave reviews of ROTR and stellar attendance has to count for something right? Same with Runaway.

I’m not sure if it’s becuase I personally enjoy Galaxy’s Edge and LOVE ROTR but I always found it so weird. Even found it weird that the GE hate is so rampant after ROTR.

EDIT: I’ve actually thought a lot about this after I said this. I actually do understand some of the hate. Can even agree on some of it, but ROTR is just that good that a lot of the problems with GE can be forgiven. Especially, now that it has a proper anchor attraction.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do they still feel that way? From when ROTR opened until COVID they were SLAMMED, across all 4 parks but especially at DHS, and I thought that was the whole point.
Yes. It was successful, but quite below expectations. Questions are being asked in particular about the infrastructure outlay for the sustained mobs that didn’t happen. Pre COVID of course.

doctornick

I really like Studios in it’s current state right now (especially Rise, Runaway, TSL, and GE) but it could use 1-2 more heavy hitters.

While another E-ticket would be fine, but what DHS really needs is a bunch of smaller complimentary C-tickets. Some Fantasyland style dark rides would really complete the park

UNCgolf

I think it's still the worst park at WDW, so it's going to take a lot more than one solid addition to bump it up.

Not that it's bad (it's solid and I certainly wouldn't skip it), just that it's basically a half-day park whereas all the others at least have the potential for a full day. I don't know how you could even do a full day at DHS unless you just wanted to ride the same rides repeatedly and wait in line every time. EPCOT, while not everyone's cup of tea and a shell of what it once was, still has the aquarium and all the World Showcase pavilions that can suck up hours and hours of time (maybe not at the moment, though, with so much closed or a lesser experience than normal).

I haven't been on ROTR or MMRR yet, but they both look like good rides (ROTR looks incredible). With MMRR just replacing another great ride, though, the rest of Galaxy's Edge more like a double than a home run, and TSL being an almost complete failure, DHS still needs a lot of work.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’m assuming after SWL and Runaway. They didn’t have a clear plan even pre-COVID. We only heard ideas. Like a while back the indoor RSR idea, Monsters idea, Incredibles idea etc. They all seemed like they weren’t concrete. Not sure if that is correct but that is what it seemed like to me.
The Indy area in particular wasn’t updated for a reason. Launchbay and the immediate area were also in the firing line.

doctornick

I think it's still the worst park at WDW, so it's going to take a lot more than one solid addition to bump it up.

Not that it's bad, just that it's basically a half-day park whereas all the others at least have the potential for a full day. I don't know how you could even do a full day at DHS unless you just wanted to ride the same rides repeatedly and wait in line every time.

DHS still is subpar for repeat guests since the shows are so old and not updated. Too much of the capacity is wrapped up in them.

DHS definitely suffers from the modern Disney problem of underbuilding ride capacity for new lands. Having an addition (smaller) ride for both TSL and SWGE would have dramatically changed the feel of how “full” those lands and the park is.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The Indy area in particular wasn’t updated for a reason. Launchbay and the immediate area were also in the firing line.

I thought Indy was on the chopping block or are there two lines of thought there? (Demolish vs Addon) Boat ride still in contention?

doctornick

I thought Indy was on the chopping block or are there two lines of thought there? (Demolish vs Addon) Boat ride still in contention?

I think that’s the point. The Indy area wasn’t updated because the intent was to tear it down and replace it in the later stage of DHS development.

Same with Launch Bay. They just lightly rethemed Animation with the plan to redo the whole area eventually

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Currently I doubt anything is in contention.

Sorry, should have clarified. That boat ride tech... is it going anywhere or has Covid put a kabosh on that indefinitely?
Several parks were fighting for it. I was still hoping for Indy. But that wasn't going to happen for the 50th anyway.

TTA94

Not crazy about the idea but now I’m thinking maybe MK could still get new things, entertainment and ride refurbs, but instead of next year maybe Spring or Summer 2022.

At least we should have Harmonius in Fall of next next year. Wrong parks Anniversary but, oh well lol.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think that’s the point. The Indy area wasn’t updated because the intent was to tear it down and replace it in the later stage of DHS development. Same with Launch Bay. They just lightly rethemed Animation with the plan to redo the whole area eventually

Was hopeful that the show would be sticking around as an addon attraction for a larger Indyland AND not see it demolished, only revamped and made anew. I figured WDI would be focusing their immediate efforts into fixing up Animation/Launch and Sunset for the 50th but that doesn't seem all that likely now either. :(

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Yes. It was successful, but quite below expectations. Questions are being asked in particular about the infrastructure outlay for the sustained mobs that didn’t happen. Pre COVID of course.
I find that surprising. Judging it on Sept-Nov seems silly now that we’ve seen that the crowds were so, so bananas in Jan-early March. They really couldn’t have been much higher, they hit a 9/10 or 10/10 by TP calculations on 20/29 days in February.

But I don’t know how TDO judges success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom