Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhwdw

You know, while the Year of a Million Dreams advertising was lackluster, having been an AP at Disneyland during that time, I’ll say that a lot of the freebies that they gave out were pretty great. Two highlights: free lanyards with complimentary fastpasses and free VIP parking. I wouldn’t mind WDW doing something like that.

But Disneyland did that for just after its 50th anniversary (which was celebrated for about 2 years) to keep people coming back. Being able to visit for free on your birthday was a great incentive to bring your friends and family with you to the parks. IMHO, a brilliant marketing ploy. If the 50th didn’t convince a local to become an AP, the Year of a Million Dreams certainly did.
I'm sure the continuation of BPB, POD and more importantly RDCT helped people go for the AP!

TTA94

Fall can’t come soon enough to settle the nighttime parade debate lol. Then again they may not announce it until early or mid 2021.
If Disney has been keeping track of this thread and other discussions about a nighttime parade for the past few years, they might not want to end their fun and laughs of reading all these threads and posts lol.

Aries1975

EPCOT had one of the best parades ever done in a Disney park though :) "Tapestry of Nations". Also an ear worm of music...

I loved this parade. It was so different to see all of the entertainers from the different countries. The costumes were beautiful. It was absolutely amazing.

MadTeacup

So I would argue that they do make money on paper.

The current management team is very against live entertainers, cutting them from rivers of light, cutting them from galaxies edge, cutting parades and shows.... it is quite odd to me actually. I’m surprised we still have the big budget castle show.
You can argue that, but until you can prove it on Excel spreadsheet and show it to shareholders, It doesn't matter.

Management loves cutting entertainment because it easy to cut without leaving a noticeable hole in the parks (See Stitch's Great Escape) and again, doesn't directly make a profit. Rides are different because they have direct tie-ins with merchandise and ultimately exist to get crowds off the paths. Shows exist to control crowds. Did you know that FoF travels from Frontierland to Main Street for a very specific reason? They do that so that people follow it toward the main entrance of the park to encourage them to leave at the busiest time of the day.

DON'T NOT GIVE TDO IDEAS about MRFF!!!!!!

About Entertainment making crowds and money.......Didn't MK see a need for HEA? if Attendance wasn't a problem after MSEP went home, we would still have Wishes right?
Interesting timing considering MRFF is down to 4 shows soon for Castle repainting.

I don't believe HEA was connected to MSEP leaving in any way besides the massive amount of pyro. Wishes was already planned to be replaced. It was fairly old and was considered outdated by the time it left because it did not include projection mapping. HEA/OUAT was a package deal that was already in progress before they decided not to replace MSEP with a new nighttime parade.

exactly
SWGE not really that big of crowds showing up at Disneyland.
MSEP....loads of people!!!!
SWGE: Tons of expensive custom merchandise and food & beverage offerings that encourage guests to empty their wallets
MSEP: a light-up tumbler, magnet, hat, tshirt, and a cupcake that some guests might spend $20 on

Again, on paper shows and parades don't make money. However, they do look good when the parks consider crowd control. I was always told that the reason MK ran a late MSEP which often had a small audience was to encourage those guests to stay longer so they would spend money on food & merch.

TrainsOfDisney

You can argue that, but until you can prove it on Excel spreadsheet and show it to shareholders, It doesn't matter.

Don’t be silly... shareholders aren’t asking anyone to justify a parade budget.

And your opinion also doesn’t matter unless you can prove it on an excel spreapsheet, which you can’t. So neither of our opinions matter, you are correct.

Disney has the data and gets control how they spend the money. I believe that Chapeks cuts against live entertainment (parades, ROL, and Galaxies Edge specifically) is hurting guest experiences at the parks.

TrainsOfDisney

Rides are different because they have direct tie-ins with merchandise and ultimately exist to get crowds off the paths.

Wait what?

Parades are nothing but direct tie-ins.

Rides ultimately exist to get crowds off the paths? No... attractions (which include parades and major shows like the fireworks) exist as the primary reason people pay to visit.

TTA94

I’m sure the insiders will know even if they delay an announcement.

The sad thing is, if we don’t get a new parade for the 50th... we won’t get one until new leadership comes along. :-/

Hopefully they will by the fall. Insiders don’t seem to have a clue about anything related to the 50th right now... unless their lips are sealed lol. At least I hope that’s the case rather than they haven’t heard anything because nothing is actually going to be happening for the 50th.

MagicHappens1971

That’s because nobody does. My understanding is that final decisions have not been made, but there are multiple choices for 50th entertainment depending on what budget actually gets approved.
It’s just very scary that the 50th is only a year and a half away and nothing has been announced or approved (to our knowledge). I hope we hear more at Destination D this year

MadTeacup

Don’t be silly... shareholders aren’t asking anyone to justify a parade budget.

And your opinion also doesn’t matter unless you can prove it on an excel spreapsheet, which you can’t. So neither of our opinions matter, you are correct.

Disney has the data and gets control how they spend the money. I believe that Chapeks cuts against live entertainment (parades, ROL, and Galaxies Edge specifically) is hurting guest experiences at the parks.
If the shareholders don't care, then why is Disney so careful where they spend money? Why don't all 4 parks have the budget to build and operate a parade? Why is Tomorrowland getting painted white instead of re-themed?

My opinion does matter because it's my opinion based on my knowledge of how things work. It contributes to conversation on these boards. It is not a verified fact and I will not present it as such. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean my opinion doesn't matter.

The cuts to entertainment ARE hurting the parks, but try telling upper management. Also, please don't solely blame Chapek. Tom Staggs was still in charge when Studios lost Countdown and DCR as well as when DAK lost MJJ. The cuts have simply been continuing. It feels like they're slowly gutting the entertainment department.

Wait what?

Parades are nothing but direct tie-ins.

Rides ultimately exist to get crowds off the paths? No... attractions (which include parades and major shows like the fireworks) exist as the primary reason people pay to visit.
Parades are not direct tie-ins because there is no way to quantify how much merchandise they help sell. It's easy to argue that parades help sell merchandise based on the characters that are featured, but there's no way to actually prove that on paper. Someone could argue that a Princess Belle doll would have sold from the Emporium regardless of whether or not she blew a kid a kiss during FoF. They could simply argue that the kid liked the doll.

Let me re-phrase. From an operations standpoint, attractions help control crowds by holding people in specific locations for a pre-determined amount of time. I agree that attractions of all types are a draw. At the same time, the parks are also on the rebound from a time when they thought that controlling crowds with magic bands would eliminate the need to create new attractions. Obviously, that did not work. As a result, I believe the parks have been particularly interested in investing in attractions that will last for decades and are available to guests all day long. Parades and Entertainment do not fit that bill. Since I feel the need to say this again, this is not based on facts. This is based on personal beliefs.

TrainsOfDisney

The cuts to entertainment ARE hurting the parks, but try telling upper management.

Oh... i think we agree then?

Also, please don't solely blame Chapek. Tom Staggs was still in charge when Studios lost Countdown and DCR as well as when DAK lost MJJ. The cuts have simply been continuing. It feels like they're slowly gutting the entertainment department.

That’s very important to point out. Actually that makes me realize how much live entertainment has been cut from Walt Disney World while Iger was CEO.

Pleasure Island live entertainment venues and nightly fireworks shows.

Daily parade at Animal Kingdom

Daily parade at DHS.

Nightly parade at MK.

Last edited:

MadTeacup

Oh... i think we agree then?

That’s very important to point out. Actually that makes me realize how much live entertainment has been cut from Walt Disney World while Iger was CEO.

Pleasure Island live entertainment venues and nightly fireworks shows.

Daily parade at Animal Kingdom

Daily parade at DHS.

Nightly parade at MK.
We sure do agree! I would love to see the parks return to form with live entertainment. The days when they had strolling bands just wandering through the park providing atmospheric entertainment were fantastic. I would love to see some of these small things return for the 50th and stay. (In addition to larger offerings like a night parade.) Live entertainment is so sparse today. Budgets get cut and are rarely restored. It's time the parks started remembering that Disney is an entertainment company.

spectrodanny

I wonder if the Electrical Water Pageant will get a new soundtrack, as I recall the current one debuted around the time of the resort's 25th in 1996.

Last edited:

MadTeacup

I wonder if the Electrical Water Pageant will get a news soundtrack, as I recall the current one debuted around the time of the resort's 25th in 1996.
Damn... I see that thing twice a week and STILL I forget it exists. I actually really love it too. I would love to see something like a crab, volcano and stingray set to an electronic arrangement of the Moana soundtrack. They could even use the same 3 floats with a Finding Nemo soundtrack.

TrainsOfDisney

Eiger is the true person to blame. The people who love Eiger always use Chapek as their scapegoat.

This is true. I suppose a few things could get better with Chapek in charge, at least he’s shown a small interest in the theme parks. We don’t know 100% if the all IP ideas came from Chapek or Iger?

A Noble Fish

This is true. I suppose a few things could get better with Chapek in charge, at least he’s shown a small interest in the theme parks. We don’t know 100% if the all IP ideas came from Chapek or Iger?
I mean, Iger didn't want to change the California Screamin' to the Incredicoaster.

It's mainly Chapek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom