Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox&Hound

No it's called the expansion pad behind Big Thunder/HM ;) also, getting rid of TSI for a ride doesn't actually expand anything. It's why the Fantasyland expansion only truly added the B&TB mini-land. Storybook Circus is the same space as Toontown Fair. 20K took up the Mermaid/SDMT space. PFH took up the SWSA space. Almost everything except a TS restaurant, a QS restaurant and a M&G show were replacements

The only way I would support New Frontierland/New Frontierland is if TDO increases MK's attraction count rather than just replacements/refurbs.

Even if they put an E on Tom Sawyer's spot, the attraction count doesn't go up. Even if Stitch, Laugh Floor, CoP and the Speedway give way to 4 great replacements, the attraction count still doesn't go up.

Building 2-3 attractions on the Speedway space does... building something between Space/CoP does... building something on top of CoP does... building 2-3 attractions behind the Speedway/Space does... building a new E on the Frontierland pad does.

I'd rather they build a bridge over RoA behind Big Thunder and open up an expansion pad for either Western River Expedition, Geyser Mountain, or the old Discovery Bay/steampunk concept.

Why not keep TSI AND get a new E-ticket for Frontierland, plus updates for current attractions and a new pathways that leads to the HM area? It's possible to actually expand MK's guest footprint if they want to... while still maintaining the park's integrity.

Same with Adventureland. You don't HAVE to can Jungle Cruise or Swiss Family Treehouse to expand. Just rework the JC river to make room for a new guest path. Add JttCotE and incorporate Mt. Prometheus into the actual ride experience. Or do Indiana Jones and have a temple show scene.

I agree you should not have to replace a ride to add a new one. But if you got rid of TSI and put an E-ticket out there, yes, the ride count does improve by 1- to the hundreds of people who walk past TSI and never venture out there or went once and were not impressed. People always say how NFL did not add a lot of rides but replaced older ones. Well, I sure wasn't getting a lot of use of out 20,000 leagues for the past few years or riding the rubble of the Skyway tram. I view it much more than does the ride count improve. It should be, does guest satisfaction improve. Doubling Dumbo and adding an indoor queue. Improvement! Rotting 20,000 space and now Ariel. Improvement. But, in theory, I do agree that with the "blessing of size" we should not have to tear down to continue building. Just my thoughts...

GeneralZod

The only thing coming to WDW for the 50'th will be more upcharge events and perhaps redoing the TTC. Not sorry to be so cynical for the last 10 years all WDW has done is close stuff and create hard ticket upcharge events which in the beginning were a good value with the dessert party being a prime example

As I recall it was $26 bucks which was not bad for uncrowded viewing and a nice selection of treats, It's now north of $50 bucks and is almost as crowded as Main St and has a much reduced selection of treats. If the quality of the event had remained the same (crowding/treat selection) I'd probably say "I'm on vacation and it's Disney" However with the gross reduction of quality and doubling of price these days It's 'I'll pass thanks".
So...you basically just cut and paste your comments now huh?

TP2000

Regardless of what the entertainment menu and marketing plan is for WDW's 50th, what they really need to aim for is a vibe.

I just returned from an evening visit to Disneyland on the eve of it's 60th birthday. There was a huge crowd there on a stunningly gorgeous summer SoCal night, the type the Beach Boys wrote songs about. But there was a... vibe. I've seen the park through its dark Paul Pressler era of 1997-2003, but I've never seen the whole Resort look as sparklingly fresh as it does this summer. There's the lush dual-parkwide décor that extends to Downtown Disney and the Disney hotels. The banners and bunting. The 60th Diamond "D" logo that's on everything now, from shopping bags to paper cups and plates, to CM nametags and cocktail napkins and Starbucks mugs. The 60th public announcements in the park, and the official Diamond Celebration theme song beautiful ballad that plays in the parks after World of Color and the fireworks "I Believe In Disneyland".

Walt's goodnight message from 1962 at the 4:35 point here gets me every time!

It's a complete Resortwide package. The whole thing just works, and is... classy. Really classy. And Disneyland on the eve of its 60th anniversary deserves nothing less.

That's what they need to go for during WDW's 50th in 2021. The total package. And a vibe that is pure class.

Last edited:

jt04

Regardless of what the entertainment menu and marketing plan is for WDW's 50th, what they really need to aim for is a vibe.

I just returned from an evening visit to Disneyland on the eve of it's 60th birthday. There was a huge crowd there on a stunningly gorgeous summer SoCal night, the type the Beach Boys wrote songs about. But there was a... vibe. I've seen the park through its dark Paul Pressler era of 1997-2003, but I've never seen the whole Resort look as sparklingly fresh as it does this summer. There's the lush dual-parkwide décor that extends to Downtown Disney and the Disney hotels. The banners and bunting. The 60th Diamond "D" logo that's on everything now, from shopping bags to paper cups and plates, to CM nametags and cocktail napkins and Starbucks mugs. The 60th public announcements in the park, and the official Diamond Celebration theme song beautiful ballad that plays in the parks after World of Color and the fireworks "I Believe In Disneyland".

They have certainly built a solid foundation to make it so.

It's a complete Resortwide package. The whole thing just works, and is... classy. Really classy. And Disneyland on the eve of its 60th anniversary deserves nothing less.

That's what they need to go for during WDW's 50th in 2021. The total package. And a vibe that is pure class.

Bocabear

I am hopeful that they will go for a full package and it will be tasteful, but I am afraid it will be garish and princess-centric... The budget will be blown on Banners and monorail wraps rather than any real substantive decor or resort improvements....
But I have hope......

Bocabear

Why would Frozen be in a Circus themed area?

I mean, we see people say this and I'm no fan of the tents (or more specifically, the lack of a ride on that side of Storybook Circus) but Frozen doesn't make any sense unless they re-theme the entire circus area. A much better argument is to replace the tents with an actual ride that fits the theme (e.g. Pinocchio or Mickey's Madhouse or something).
The Circus theme could easily be redone... Leave Double Dumbo as is...it does not have to fit what is behind it. Basically the Mountain range behind Mermaid would just continue and would become the backdrop to Arrendelle... re-theme the Great Goofini once again...a giant frozen fountain that sprays water and mist where the train splash area is now...and a new E-ticket FROZEN ride where the circus tents are... The mountain range topped with a scaled down model of the ice castle...( Like the Beast's Castle, and there it is... a complete Frozen mini land... Add snow and ice to the train station like they did at Hogwarts... While I think they did an excellent job with the circus theme, it really is so much less engaging than when it was Toontown...at least there were houses to walk in and such...now there is only a meet and greet and a giant gift shop. Wouldn't everyone really rather have an E ticket ride than another M&G and gift shop?
and put a princess where a princess ought to be...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

WDW has a vibe, Sadly it's the 'Going out of Business' vibe. Stuff closing left and right things left to rot in plain sight the endless cuts in service etc.

I don't think P&R is 'Going out of Business' but it sure FEELS like it.

JediMasterMatt

By 2021, I wonder how many days out we will all have to set our alarms to wake up and reserve our opportunity using MM+ to experience the limited time magic event they will have cooked up to celebrate WDW's 50th anniversary? I'll just plan on going to the up charge event they will be sure to have.

If WDW tries really hard, they may just be able to double the efforts that they made to celebrate their 40th anniversary. That should mean we get themed napkins this time.

Only a few more weeks for me until I get to relive how a real Disney Park celebrates - Anaheim here we come. Can't wait.

COProgressFan

Wow, I hadn't seen that. The Walt part is an unexpected pleasant surprise. Thanks for posting that!

Figments Friend

Beautifully said, TP.

This is exactly what needs to happen.

The *hard work* by that time will be mostly complete ...all the upcoming Resort-wide additions and planned expansions in the Parks.
They will have plenty of *new product* to promote to tie in with the Anniversary promotion to motivate people to visit.
All WDW will really need to do is come up with a worthy marketing campaign that attracts the masses.
Something special and appropriate, not overly cheesy or cheap feeling.

I would like to think they can do that.....but my confidence is leery.
We shall see....if we are all still around then.
:)

Figments Friend

WDW has a vibe, Sadly it's the 'Going out of Business' vibe. Stuff closing left and right things left to rot in plain sight the endless cuts in service etc.

I don't think P&R is 'Going out of Business' but it sure FEELS like it.

You really need to go out to Southern California and spend a few days at Disneyland.
It will let you experience a real difference in quality, Show execution, and true *magical* charm.
Not to mention actually enjoy a calmer, more relaxed vibe without having to book your Attractions & Dining 6 months in advance.

Leave Walt Disney World behind in the swamp lands of Central Florida...slowly sinking into the abyss.
GO TO DISNEYLAND - *Walt*s Original* in beautiful, sunny,110% humidity-free California!

Travel broadens the mind...and Team Disney Anaheim delivers one Hell of a Show, especially this year.
I highly recommend taking the journey out there.
Come join the Dark Side......er,...i mean....the West Side...!

Last edited:

Cesar R M

You really need to go out to Southern California and spend a few days at Disneyland.
It will let you experience a real difference in quality, Show execution, and true *magical* charm.
Not to mention actually enjoy a calmer, more relaxed vibe without having to book your Attractions & Dining 6 months in advance.

Leave WDW behind in the swamplands of Central Florida...slowly sinking into the abyss.
GO TO *Walt*s Original* in beautiful, sunny,110% humidity-free California!

Travel broadens the mind...and Team Disney Anaheim delivers one Hell of a Show, especially this year.
I highly recommend taking the journey out there.
Come join the Dark Side......er,...i mean....the West Side...!

do they have cookies in the dark west side?

Figments Friend

do they have cookies in the dark west side?

Everything on the 'West Side' is better.....so much better, that instead of cookies, they have cupcakes.
And my, what cupcakes.
The Empire can keep their dang cookies....!

( Photo from the Disney Parks Blog )

These are what they are currently giving away for free to every Guest who wants one during today's 60th Celebration at Disneyland.
Just look at that pile of frosting...and the decor....and....

Even the cupcakes are better then WDW's.
:D

Mike S

Everything on the 'West Side' is better.....so much better, that instead of cookies, they have cupcakes.
And my, what cupcakes.
The Empire can keep their dang cookies....!

( Photo from the Disney Parks Blog )

These are what they are currently giving away for free to every Guest who wants one during today's 60th Celebration at Disneyland.
Just look at that pile of frosting...and the decor....and....

Even the cupcakes are better then WDW's.
:D
But, but, but........ MAGIC BANDS!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom