Magic Key Renewals?

CaptinEO

My takeaways:

-Being renewal only as well as them "selling out" last year means Disney does want to limit the number of passholders. Very different vs how they used to operate

-They can sell the top tier passes to the select number of power users that see value in it. They can then sell the low end passes to fill in the parks on dead weekdays, but it is still capped.

- APs were not buying Genie and this is an incentive for them to pay for it but I don't see it working tbh

- Reservations are stupid, as is the idea of paying over a grand and not having guaranteed admission

-Clearly a lot of demand for passes when they came back post pandemic, we will see how well it carries over into renewals.

-Disney sells plenty of tickets at the end of December/New Years, makes sense to block these dates out.

-The "exclusivity"/limited access of being a keyholder may be a way to also justify their high prices

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A guest's favorability is simply a matter of how much they spend. On average, MKs have lower favorability, but there are obviously some big spenders in that group, as well.
Well that is the assumption that was being made when the comment was released.

However given that they are allowing all Keys to renew to either same or other Key indicates that assumption might just be wrong. And given they specifically added and highlight the 20% discount on Genie+ as part of the renewal indicates that it might just be what the comment was really about.

Because if it was really about too many Keys in the Parks that aren't spending, such as the lower tiers, then why let them renew at all. Let them expire and create a new program, or no program at all.

Disstevefan1

USH - not enough to do
Knotts - too close to Disneyland
Magic Mountain - not enough for the kids to do
Sea World - Too far
Legoland - Too far
NewBobbyThanks.jpg

mickEblu

I see still see a lot of value in the Magic Keys but I’ll admit the price of the Believe Key is making me do a slight pause and ask myself if I really need or want them or if I want to downgrade. Especially now that I’m paying for 3 of them. At least my daughter is free until September 2023.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Because if it was really about too many Keys in the Parks that aren't spending, such as the lower tiers, then why let them renew at all. Let them expire and create a new program, or no program at all.
The boiled frog...

Disney still wants 'filler' admissions - they just want them when they want them and not at the expense of higher return admissions. These evolutions have been pushing that way.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It was a rhetorical question.

Also what end game? No more AP/Keys? Don't think so.
Like I said in the earlier post...
"they just want them when they want them and not at the expense of higher return admissions"

The end game is to reduce the use of discounted admissions except when you need to generate extra demand. They are achieving that with park reservations and dynamic capacities per category.

They are changed APs from being an uncontrolled surge to being the upsold, committed buyer base that drives consistent baseline revenues and can be used to bolster attendance where you want to steer it to.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Like I said in the earlier post...
"they just want them when they want them and not at the expense of higher return admissions"

The end game is to reduce the use of discounted admissions except when you need to generate extra demand. They are achieving that with park reservations and dynamic capacities per category.

They are changed APs from being an uncontrolled surge to being the upsold, committed buyer base that drives consistent baseline revenues and can be used to bolster attendance where you want to steer it to.
You missed the whole point of my post, as there was never really any question in my mind why they want Keys.

So I'll just say thank you for your response.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom