Magic Key Renewals?

SuddenStorm

I'm a firm believer that happiness and satisfaction in life has very little to do with what your job is, and much more to do with how you do it.

I've heard it said that you can be passionate about any job if you go in with the right attitude. Easier said than done for sure, but it explains how you can have people in every vocation who are experts, passionate, and genuinely excited about the work they do.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some additional information -

"All four Magic Keys now offer a 20% discount on the Genie+ line-cutting service. Inspire and Believe passholders now get unlimited PhotoPass digital downloads. Enchant and Imagine passholders get a 25% discount on parking at the Toy Story lot — when the passes are available for reservations and blockout dates are not in effect. Like the former Dream Key, the new Inspire Key will continue to include parking while the Believe Key will offer a 50% discount on parking."

"The small print in the updated Magic Key contract spells out the rules for passholders. A Magic Key does not guarantee theme park entry even on dates when a pass is not blocked out. Passholders are not entitled to reservations made available to daily ticket buyers. The number of reservations are subject to availability as determined by Disney. Don’t expect to find the phrase “no blockout dates” anywhere in the new Magic Key legalese."

el_super

It's quite a beautiful solution, really. You get rid of the "no blackout dates" confusion by forcing blackout dates on everyone. Congratulations to that lady for making the top tier pass worse. 🤣

I'm still going to hold out on this and believe that nothing here was influenced by the lawsuit. If it were, it would be an admission of guilt on the part of Disney and the lawyers wouldn't let it go through (again, unless they were planning to settle).

There's actually a lot to unpack in this announcement:

-It ends the long running (decades long) debate about whether the top tier passes were more valuable to the company than the lower tier passes. By eliminating the no blockout tier, Disney is saying that limiting visits is still more preferential to the amount of money that group spends.

-Offering discounted parking at Toy Story points to a lot of the operational problems they experience with the AP holders coming in so late and having two main parking areas open. They essentially overbuilt Toy Story (when they repurposes Katella Lot) for Star Wars Land and now they are trying to justify the expense of keeping it open into the evening hours.

-Price increases all around point to the "incredible" demand Chapek has been going on about. I'm sure it's a balance here between how much people are willing to pay and ticking up that "per-capita ticket revenue."

-By waiting so long to announce it, it seems less likely that the usual suspects will be inclined to complain about the price increase. They will just be happy they can renew at all.

-The 20% discount on Genie is a bad choice. But it too will tick up those ARPU numbers.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Of course it will be different prices. It’s subjective. A visit to Disneyland for me will be significantly cheaper, since I’m 35 minutes away. A trip to WDW would cost me thousands.

I’m guessing the different prices have to do with quality. I’ve only been to MK, but considering that park alone, I’d say it would be fair to charge a little more for DL. Taxes play a part, I assume.

Wait, so they're going to charge more for DLP now?? ;)

Personally, if I am to visit any Disney theme park after September 30, 2022, I'd want to choose something outside the US, if I go to one at all. I'd like to minimize the amount of my money $lappie gets at this point (and I say that as a DVC owner). There are other places to go, other theme parks one can visit, and other cruise lines to sail on.

Californian Elitist

Wait, so they're going to charge more for DLP now?? ;)

Personally, if I am to visit any Disney theme park after September 30, 2022, I'd want to choose something outside the US, if I go to one at all. I'd like to minimize the amount of my money $lappie gets at this point (and I say that as a DVC owner). There are other places to go, other theme parks one can visit, and other cruise lines to sail on.
The only Disney park I care to go to is Disneyland, and I’ve had no desire to return there lol. I haven’t been since January 2020. I’m going in October, only because I’ve been invited by a dear friend of mine and I haven’t seen them in years. I went to MK in May, only because I was in the area for a bachelorette party and figured I’d stop by. I was in the park for a total of 5 hours. I’m now planning a one-day visit to DLP, but that’s because my sister wants to go to France and Italy for her 30th birthday next summer and wants to drop in. If it was my trip, I wouldn’t consider DLP at all. This is not to say that I’d never visit other Disney parks around the world, but they’re not a priority for me. Nothing Disney-related is.

Indeed, there are other things to do. I’m not a theme park fan, so those won’t be getting any priority either. I’m now planning this France/Italy trip and would also like to get to Montreal sometime in the near future. I keep up with Disney news, but I’m not actually going there lol.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
-By waiting so long to announce it, it seems less likely that the usual suspects will be inclined to complain about the price increase. They will just be happy they can renew at all.

That's quite a stroke of bearded-evil genius right there.

I hope that many will simply say, "No thanks" and move on, but I don't expect it to happen.

el_super

That's quite a stroke of bearded-evil genius right there.

I hope that many will simply say, "No thanks" and move on, but I don't expect it to happen.

Better late than never, right?

Yep... and they're still technically not selling new passes. Renewals only. So if people choose to pass, they will not be able to obtain a pass later. At least not yet.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The only Disney park I care to go to is Disneyland, and I’ve had no desire to return there lol. I haven’t been since January 2020. I’m going in October, only because I’ve been invited by a dear friend of mine and I haven’t seen them in years. I went to MK in May, only because I was in the area for a bachelorette party and figured I’d stop by. I was in the park for a total of 5 hours. I’m now planning a one-day visit to DLP, but that’s because my sister wants to go to France and Italy for her 30th birthday next summer and wants to drop in. If it was my trip, I wouldn’t consider DLP at all. This is not to say that I’d never visit other Disney parks around the world, but they’re not a priority for me. Nothing Disney-related is.

Indeed, there are other things to do. I’m not a theme park fan, so those won’t be getting any priority either. I’m now planning this France/Italy trip and would also like to get to Montreal sometime in the near future. I keep up with Disney news, but I’m not actually going there lol.

I totally understand where you're at. Our next Disney cruise may be our last for the foreseeable future, we want to explore other cruise lines since they offer a price point, even with the add-ins that Disney includes (like non-alcoholic beverages), that is very attractive. I'd like to visit the Uni parks again at some point. Tokyo is at the top of my bucket list. I'd like to visit London at some point. With the pricing push under Chapek (and I mean since 2015, not since 2020), Disney has pushed me to view their offerings as a non-priority now.

Disneyland Parc is gorgeous, BTW. It has a charm that rivals DL. I'm guessing you'll be happy that you visited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom