Magic Carpets of Aladdin will be converted into what!?!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The abomination that is the Epcot Character Spot (or Connection) or whatever it's called. So I understand...better in Morocco then there, and with the goal of having M&Gs in as many WS pavilions as possible, it was an obvious choice.

Yeah, I know. WDW's way to keeping the little ones more interested in the WS, I suppose. Outside of the Kidcot stops in each of the pavilions.....

I guess to my sanguine point of view it's no better/worse than Donald being outside of Mexico.....

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Yeah, I know. WDW's way to keeping the little ones more interested in the WS, I suppose. Outside of the Kidcot stops in each of the pavilions.....

I guess to my sanguine point of view it's no better/worse than Donald being outside of Mexico.....

Unfortunately, he's also inside of Mexico. I never particularly liked El Rio de Tiempo, but the el cheapo transformation into "Finding El Pato Donald" is really kind of insulting.

SoccerMickey

Walt Disney was all about giving the people what they wanted in the parks and the 2010 audience is a lot different than the 1955-1964 audience. Seeing how popular spinning rides are like Dumbo and Astro Orbiter makes sense to utilize that ride system in other areas of the park where they fit both logistically and thematically. Aladdin was a hot franchise for Disney in the 90's and the exotic feel of the film matched perfectly with the exotic feel of Adventureland. And seeing how many people complained that they waited a long time at Dumbo adding something similar in an area of the park that could support it was a no-brainer. It's a fun, harmless ride that really has no reason to leave the park. People love it, it makes good hourly ride capacity percentages, not to mention it's fun to ride. I always think it's funny when people complain when Disney elements (Aladdin, Monsters, Inc, etc) are in Disney.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Unfortunately, he's also inside of Mexico. I never particularly liked El Rio de Tiempo, but the el cheapo transformation into "Finding El Pato Donald" is really kind of insulting.

I hear you. It is what it is. Trying to mix in something for the younger demographics.....

Wilt Dasney

As for the carpets..., I like the ride, and think it is a big improvement on Dumbo for many reasons. The placement isn't ideal by any means, but it isn't horrible either. Adventureland was already a mix of South Seas and Caribbean. Adding in a third part of the world makes it a bit more of a mash-up, but it was already something of one anyways.
Agreed. It can be easy for someone who's grown up with WDW (like I did) to gloss over the incongruity of PotC to Adventureland's geographical theme, but it really doesn't fit at all when you think about it and understand what Adventureland was designed to be originally.

So once you accept that the Caribbean is acceptable (which nobody seems to argue), there's really no reason for Arabia to be excluded — if the argument is based around geography, anyway.

Figment632

Agreed. It can be easy for someone who's grown up with WDW (like I did) to gloss over the incongruity of PotC to Adventureland's geographical theme, but it really doesn't fit at all when you think about it and understand what Adventureland was designed to be originally.

So once you accept that the Caribbean is acceptable (which nobody seems to argue), there's really no reason for Arabia to be excluded — if the argument is based around geography, anyway.

Isn't POTC located in Carribean Plaza and not AL?

Wilt Dasney

Isn't POTC located in Carribean Plaza and not AL?
That's semantics, my friend. Caribbean Plaza is just a sub-section of Adventureland. :cool:

(But if that's all it takes to answer the conundrum, maybe Disney should just say the carpets are really located in "Agrabah Plaza" or something.) :lol:

janoimagine

The above post reminded me of this exchange in Mallrats:

Brodie: cookie stand is not part of the food court.
T: of course it is
Brodie: the food court is downstairs, the cookie stand is upstairs, its not like we're talkin quantum physics here.
T: the cookie stand counts as an eatery, the eatery is part of the food court.
Brodie: Eaterys that operate within the designated square downstairs qualify as food court. anything outside of said designated square is considered an atonymous unit for mid-mall snacking.

Sorry - :D

Krack

Do you find that the jungle environment in the Caribbean islands are demonstrably different than the jungle environments you'd find in the South Pacific?

stlbobby

I'm just not sure how the Carpets destroy the theming of Adventureland. The Jungle Cruise travels all over the world. The Swiss Family Robinson takes place in the East Indies. The Tiki's are in Polynesia. And Pirates clearly states it is in the Caribbean. So how does adding Arabia to that list destroy the theme. If it were Jungleland or Jungles of the orld, then sure, but even then Pirates stretches it.

I can see the argument that it may be too crowded, but as park attendance rises they need more attractions and they have to go someplace.

I can agree it is a complete duplicte of Dumbo, but they are both constantly filled and it provides thrills for little kids. Disney is providing people, and by people I mean a significant portion of their clientele, what they want.

But I cannot see how the theme is destroyed. The theme has always been a disparate collection of far off lands, places of mystery and "adventure". It seems Agrabah fits that theme nicely.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Do you find that the jungle environment in the Caribbean islands are demonstrably different than the jungle environments you'd find in the South Pacific?

Yes, we should definitely take WDW to task for not having the proper flora and fauna around the Swiss Family Treehouse and POTC.....

Lee

Adventurer
Ok...my 2 cents on the whole Adventureland theme thing....

The original theme of AL at the MK was "tropical."
You had the tropical entrance, the Treehouse, the Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, and the food and merch locations. All with a general "tropical" theme. Lots of greenery, lots of colonial architecture, etc.
So far, so good.

Then Pirates comes along. Never intended to be in MK at all, much less in Adventureland. It was stuck there just because they didn't have a better place to put it. In order to maintain some sort of cohesive theme for the existing AL, they put PotC sort of around the bend, out of the main sightline of AL, and named it's location "Caribbean Plaza". Sort of a mini-land.
Still ok. It's a bit of a stretch, but it's still tropical and placed in a way that it doesn't interfere.

The Carpets, however.....that's another story.
They wanted a quick, cheap way to add capacity. Carpets did that. They also caused them to change the "tropical" and "jungle" themed areas in that part of the land to a vague desert/Arabian theme. So, where once you could stand in the middle of AL, turn in a circle and be surrounded by the tropics, you now had a giant Arabian thing plopped down in such a way that you lost all sense of a cohesive theme. Can't knock the ride on the grounds that it helped capacity, because it did that. Can knock it for further diluting the theme of the land.

Same can be said for, um, let's see.....
Speedway in Tomorrowland
Monsters, Inc. in Tomorrowland
Nemo in Future World
And how 'bout this one...20K in Fantasyland at MK. Would've been a better fit in Adventureland.

meehanj

Let's take this a step further

Interesting comments on Aladdin, Dumbo, and Triceratops mixed in here. Here is my take on the 3 spinning rides at WDW. I think the dumbo ride has always been a classic and is super cool, certainly a kids favorite. It should never go away and I am sure the new concept they bring it will add to the great classic ride that it has always been. Aladdin is OK as a ride itself...And I think it has unique features such as the spitting camels that add bit of additional fun...plus the whole family of 4 can ride. Having said all that, I admit it's not a new concept for the park and just the same ride with minor changes. Thes changes take a basic ride as a concept and make it unique. For imagination, one could go either way with that one whether they keep it or dump it. But that Triceratops spin at AK is awful as it has no interesting theme to it whatsoever and it continues to stem from the same idea redone now for the third time, but thistime with a blandness that is embarasiing for Disney that prides itself of its imagination... all the same dinosaurs cart after cart, all the same color, on an old ride concept, and what does this add up to...NO IMAGNINATION. Taking this a step farther, the neighboring Primevil Whirl roller coaster in AK and the Mulholland Madness in DCA are cheap carnival rides. The imagineers were on strike when those concepts were developed. Forget the talk about Aladdin and go and revamp AK's Dinosaur area and bring some imagination into the park.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Interesting comments on Aladdin, Dumbo, and Triceratops mixed in here. Here is my take on the 3 spinning rides at WDW.

There is actually a fourth spinning ride. Mission:Space spins.....fast. And come to think of it a fifth....the rockets in tomorrow land.

T-1MILLION

Although it does clash with the 'realism' impressionalist theme and art design what will always kills me the most is they added a spinner....a carnival attraction you can find at any local carnival since Dumbo and even before. One is cute and was appropriate for Dumbo and since it debuted in the 50s when not as many had popped up it has become so iconic with marketing and the idea of going to a Disney Magic Kingdom.

But really, three flat spinning attractions in one park is enough. Having to go from them being reletivley in the 50s to putting one down in the 90s was just an incredibly lame move.

MarkTwain

Ok...my 2 cents on the whole Adventureland theme thing....

The original theme of AL at the MK was "tropical."
You had the tropical entrance, the Treehouse, the Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, and the food and merch locations. All with a general "tropical" theme. Lots of greenery, lots of colonial architecture, etc.
So far, so good.

Then Pirates comes along. Never intended to be in MK at all, much less in Adventureland. It was stuck there just because they didn't have a better place to put it. In order to maintain some sort of cohesive theme for the existing AL, they put PotC sort of around the bend, out of the main sightline of AL, and named it's location "Caribbean Plaza". Sort of a mini-land.
Still ok. It's a bit of a stretch, but it's still tropical and placed in a way that it doesn't interfere.

The Carpets, however.....that's another story.
They wanted a quick, cheap way to add capacity. Carpets did that. They also caused them to change the "tropical" and "jungle" themed areas in that part of the land to a vague desert/Arabian theme. So, where once you could stand in the middle of AL, turn in a circle and be surrounded by the tropics, you now had a giant Arabian thing plopped down in such a way that you lost all sense of a cohesive theme. Can't knock the ride on the grounds that it helped capacity, because it did that. Can knock it for further diluting the theme of the land.

Same can be said for, um, let's see.....
Speedway in Tomorrowland
Monsters, Inc. in Tomorrowland
Nemo in Future World
And how 'bout this one...20K in Fantasyland at MK. Would've been a better fit in Adventureland.

My sentiments exactly!

Although it does clash with the 'realism' impressionalist theme and art design what will always kills me the most is they added a spinner....a carnival attraction you can find at any local carnival since Dumbo and even before. One is cute and was appropriate for Dumbo and since it debuted in the 50s when not as many had popped up it has become so iconic with marketing and the idea of going to a Disney Magic Kingdom.

But really, three flat spinning attractions in one park is enough. Having to go from them being reletivley in the 50s to putting one down in the 90s was just an incredibly lame move.

I agree with this too. Dumbo is a Disney classic, and Astro Orbiter put a neat twist on the spinner because of its elevation, but three spinners in one park is jumping the shark.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom