Magic band Rash

TomHendricks

We had no issue with our magic bands on our last trip and we wore them every day for our 8 day trip. However like Trotsky said, any individual could be allergic to the plastic in the band. For me, they were incredibly comfortable, in fact after you put it on and are wearing for a while you completely forget you are wearing it. I love the magic bands, our next trip is in 87 days and our magic bands are on their way.

ratherbeinwdw

No... but being a retired Chemist? This is just flat out GOING to happen - to a few people sensitive to plastic additives, heat, and sweat. Same thing would occur with plastic watch bands.
That's why I wear mine on a lanyard. It's still fully accessible, but I don't have to wear it on my arm. I have contact dermatitis and any little thing will set it off. I also have my plastic ap card in the lanyard in case the band doesn't work. I had to use my card to get into the outside doors at AoA, but the band would work for my room.
It was so much easier to simply tap the card than have to match up the mickey head on the outside doors.

journ116

I, too, kept mine on either my PP+ lanyard or in a mini pouch inside my park bag. I could only wear my band for half of the day, because I am not used to wearing a watch.

StarWarsGirl

My dad didn't want to wear the band and at BWV they were able to issue him a KTTW card. He was pretty insistent.

No, I didn't have a problem, but I wear plastic bracelets and whatnot, so I didn't expect to.

RonAnnArbor

I kept mine in my cargo shorts pocket for each of the three trips I have taken. I will NEVER wear anything on my wrist, not because of a rash, but because I hate the slimy greasy feeling of anything on my wrist, especially with sunblock...I don't wear watches either.

DHO

My 2 year old daughter wore the band for 5 days and the rash almost looked like a burn right under the guts of the magic band on her wrist. It's been a month and a half and she still has a mark from it.

wogwog

My dad didn't want to wear the band and at BWV they were able to issue him a KTTW card. He was pretty insistent.

No, I didn't have a problem, but I wear plastic bracelets and whatnot, so I didn't expect to.
Exactly. Don't waste time with the resistant cast at the hotel who try to "make' you wear the band, they are trained to do so. Simply say no and if the cast seems to take attitude just ask for their supervisor who will be close by and will comply. They attempt to force the issue to capture the stupid data on you about what you do and where you go.

wogwog

It's just like wearing a watch for me so no big deal.
It is not the band so much, although many find it uncomfortable or a nuisance, it is the invasion of privacy. No business of the Mouse what we buy or eat or ride. Once we pay the ever increasing price of everything leave us alone. I resent the sneaky way they are doing it and not being honest and up front. Had they not stopped improving the parks and spent the giant amount of $$ on this nonsense I still would not like it.

Rob562

It is not the band so much, although many find it uncomfortable or a nuisance, it is the invasion of privacy. No business of the Mouse what we buy or eat or ride. Once we pay the ever increasing price of everything leave us alone. I resent the sneaky way they are doing it and not being honest and up front. Had they not stopped improving the parks and spent the giant amount of $$ on this nonsense I still would not like it.

FYI, Disney was able to track much of what you bought, ate or rode before the MagicBands. Every time you used your park ticket for entry or to get a paper FastPass, they knew where you were. If you had room charging on your room key, they knew when you bought that plush Mickey or that turkey leg. (The same data info would be available to them if you used a credit or debit card for those transactions).

The only way to go "off the grid" as much as possible would be to use cash to buy everything, including park tickets. That way you're only an anonymous data point.

With Bands the only (potential-but-not-confirmed) tracking is the tracking over a longer distance at places where you're not touch-pointing your card/Band.

-Rob

Mukta

I didn't get a rash, but I found it to be very uncomfortable. I have had the bands for 3 trips now, and I just loop it on my purse strap and carry it that way.

loveofamouse

i get sensory annoyed at a lot of things and wear no jewelry beyond my small wedding ring. i put my band on loosely and had no issue. two of my kids are autistic and had no issues. my oldest has bad eczema and had no issue. it was just one day, though

HMWP

We are here now and my 12-year-old son has a rash on the inside of the arm he's wearing the band on...he moved it to his other arm and started to break out there too. Guess we'll have to buy a lanyard for it...

ratherbeinwdw

We are here now and my 12-year-old son has a rash on the inside of the arm he's wearing the band on...he moved it to his other arm and started to break out there too. Guess we'll have to buy a lanyard for it...
You could buy some thin moleskin and put it on the back of the magicband. That will keep the plastic from touching his skin.

Rob562

If you don't want to bother with the Band at all, even on a lanyard, stop into Guest Relations and have them issue an RFID card for him. While some have said that resorts have been hesitant to issue cards unless the Guest is insistent, I'm sure if you explain the rash they'll give you one right away. The Band and Card can then be used interchangeably (just be aware that any long-range aspects of the Band, like auto linking on-ride photos, will not work with the RFID Card)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom