Magic Band Accessories

Buried20KLeague

You won't need to keep a band in your pocket. RFID tickets will still be available.

I don't understand why you keep saying that. It's been stated over and over that if you don't have a band and instead opt for the regular cards, you will have a lesser experience. I have yet to see anyone dispute that or show proof that it's not the case, whereas quotes from Disney back up the theory of a lesser experience.

It's NOT as easy as just choosing not to wear the Mickey Handcuffs.

DrewmanS

I don't understand why you keep saying that. It's been stated over and over that if you don't have a band and instead opt for the regular cards, you will have a lesser experience. I have yet to see anyone dispute that or show proof that it's not the case, whereas quotes from Disney back up the theory of a lesser experience.

No. If you choose not to wear the bands, then you will not get the additional experience. It may seem like a glass half full statement, but the same was true for PAL Mickey. You didn't have to buy one, but if you did, you received additional experiences.

Buried20KLeague

No. If you choose not to wear the bands, then you will not get the additional experience. It may seem like a glass half full statement, but the same was true for PAL Mickey. You didn't have to buy one, but if you did, you received additional experiences.

That's totally incorrect. That was an additional cost that didn't negatively impact my day in the park if I chose not to spend it. It didn't impact my touring, my waits in line, etc. It was an ADD ON.

With these bands, that's not the case. It WILL negatively impact my day in the park if I don't "play by their rules". I do as they say, or the families around me will have a better time. It's not an add on. It's a requirement, "or else".

Pal Mickey wasn't CLOSE to that.

(and we liked Pal Mickey, btw. Bought two)

Ciciwoowoo

As the mom of a teen, and the inherited girlfriend who is always over... I can see a lot of the teen girls, and even older ones wearing this band around their ankles instead of the wrist. It might be more comfy there.

Of course...I think I've heard of a few other institutions that use ankle bands too.

;)

cslafferty

Original Poster
I'm wondering if they are designed in such a way that one could secure it to a belt loop? We usually go in Dec.when it's cooler, but I can see not wanting to wear a band on my wrist (or ankle) in 80-100 degree heat, which is a good chunk of the year.

Mr Bill

Wearing the band around an ankle would be very inconvenient, you'd have to remove it and put it back on every time you used it. A belt loop would also have this problem but it'd be much less of a hassle than an ankle and I think the band is secure enough to stay on a belt loop.

cslafferty

Original Poster
Wearing the band around an ankle would be very inconvenient, you'd have to remove it and put it back on every time you used it. A belt loop would also have this problem but it'd be much less of a hassle than an ankle and I think the band is secure enough to stay on a belt loop.

Yeah, I'm picturing people lifting their legs to swipe their bands!:confused: Not sure the mental image of people trying to swipe with their hips is any better!:eek:

Buried20KLeague

Excuse me, but if you don't want to "play by the rules" then you don't have to purchase a ticket and visit the parks. Disney is private property, not your all inclusive playground. If you don't like the magic bands and if you truly feel that it will not give you the same experience,then no one is stopping you from spending your money and time elsewhere. Purchasing admission to a Disney park DOES require you to play by their rules.

You're excused.

Mr Bill

Yeah, I'm picturing people lifting their legs to swipe their bands!:confused: Not sure the mental image of people trying to swipe with their hips is any better!:eek:

I wouldn't recommend trying to swipe with the leg or the hip, but removing and reattaching to a belt loop should be a lot faster than an ankle.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Excuse me, but if you don't want to "play by the rules" then you don't have to purchase a ticket and visit the parks. Disney is private property, not your all inclusive playground. If you don't like the magic bands and if you truly feel that it will not give you the same experience,then no one is stopping you from spending your money and time elsewhere. Purchasing admission to a Disney park DOES require you to play by their rules.

Ah, the last outpost of those out of intelligent arguments. "If you don't like it, don't go."

matt9112

I guess it is not this specific product but more the overwhelming and total lack of ANY souvenir from Disney that is made in the good ole USA. As I walk through all of the souvenir shops at Disney I always pick up items and look for place of manufacture and have never even once found one item made here. Am I a dinosaur...yes, but I stand by my resolution that there needs to be a "spread the wealth" attitude and not all offshore products.

In my own business I will not even entertain carrying products from offshore and after 14 years of being in business I can tell you it is possible to operate and prosper in this fashion without compromising my beliefs so for Disney to at least make an effort to keep some of these dollars here is not too much to ask. We, as a society have gotten so blase about this that we just shrug it off but the global economy seems to be good for every other country we do business with and not so much for us. We do not keep our dollars here and do not enforce any sort of exportation minimums (or at least reasonable ones)...plus other countries don't really care to buy anything we have to sell except for a few technology based items. Our industry is dwindling and in due time we will be like a child who has been handed everything, worked for nothing and does not know how to care for itself anymore unless spoon fed.

Just my point of view and I do not expect anybody else to see it my way. I am not one of these "see it my way or I'll use CAPS LOCK" folks but just putting my $0.02 out there. No debate just me and my thoughts.

the dollars return in the form of cost savings for consumers...if i run a company and pay my workers 30 bucks an hour i might have to charge 100 for my good....if i pay them 15 an hour i might charge 50 for my product....although the worker might arguably be less off the whole IE everyone who buys the product is better off....if this happens on a grand scale the cost of goods remain low.....even for the worker...

Tim_4

Skipping the band means you miss PLUS features, not the basic ones that already exist. The only way that's a problem is if you're the envious type who is somehow injured by other people having features that you don't. You make it seem like those without a band will be second class guests. You're wrong. No more than those without a Disney Visa or Tables in Wonderland are second class guests now.

Sped2424

Skipping the band means you miss PLUS features, not the basic ones that already exist. The only way that's a problem is if you're the envious type who is somehow injured by other people having features that you don't. You make it seem like those without a band will be second class guests. You're wrong. No more than those without a Disney Visa or Tables in Wonderland are second class guests now.

Exactly ^ and if you are so frustrated by having the "lesser" experience what would you suggest as an alternative? The rfid cards function in the same manner as the bands do, you don't lose anything. The cards use the same kiosks and use the fastpass plus system and the photo plus options.They even work with the next gen interactive games as I used mine on test track and it remembered my info. The only thing you miss out on is the touch to pay option which really isn't that big a deal anyways because its 2013 and credit cards exist. If you don't want to use the entire system then just stick with normal fastpasses but don't sit there and complain that you have been done an injustice by not having access to these experiences when you have access to them with the standard methods available for every guest.

Buried20KLeague

I have yet to see a list of what the band gives you that the RFID cards do not... Disney has only said you won't get the same benefits.

If you have that list, feel free to share with the class. If not, you have no more idea or what I won't miss out in than I do on what I WILL.

I've jut repeated what Disney says... Which is the experience won't be the same.

lazyboy97o

I hate repeating myself here but the magic band is once again optional if you don't want one don't get one, no need to say that this one piece of optional equipment will single handedly ruin your entire stay.
It's still a project that consumed focus and resources.

Buried20KLeague

Exactly ^ and if you are so frustrated by having the "lesser" experience what would you suggest as an alternative? The rfid cards function in the same manner as the bands do, you don't lose anything. The cards use the same kiosks and use the fastpass plus system and the photo plus options.They even work with the next gen interactive games as I used mine on test track and it remembered my info. The only thing you miss out on is the touch to pay option which really isn't that big a deal anyways because its 2013 and credit cards exist. If you don't want to use the entire system then just stick with normal fastpasses but don't sit there and complain that you have been done an injustice by not having access to these experiences when you have access to them with the standard methods available for every guest.

There are multiple inaccuracies in your post. It's not my job to do your homework for you before you post.

Tim_4

Not entirely correct. Touch to pay is available on the card.
I have yet to see a list of what the band gives you that the RFID cards do not... Disney has only said you won't get the same benefits.

If you have that list, feel free to share with the class. If not, you have no more idea or what I won't miss out in than I do on what I WILL.

I've jut repeated what Disney says... Which is the experience won't be the same.
The card does EVERYTHING except long range RFID. If it involves "touch-to-do-something," the card can do it, including Fastpass+. The reason for this is because the long range RFID requires broadcasting a signal, which requires a battery that can't be made flat and put into a ticket.

Sped2424

There are multiple inaccuracies in your post. It's not my job to do your homework for you before you post.

Oh really? The only thing I believe I got mistaken was the touch to pay option which I had read in a inside the magic article here http://www./2013/03/walt-disney-wor...ard-plastic-cards-rfid-and-magicband-preview/
But nonetheless what you fail to understand that the card has more or less the same functionality as the band minus the long range rfid.

Buried20KLeague

Oh really? The only thing I believe I got mistaken was the touch to pay option which I had read in a inside the magic article here http://www./2013/03/walt-disney-wor...ard-plastic-cards-rfid-and-magicband-preview/
But nonetheless what you fail to understand that the card has more or less the same functionality as the band minus the long range rfid.

I see... And can you tell me what all they might have in development that will make use of said long range RFID?

And I've said all along... The bands don't bother me that much. I've said it over and over. My point was that its not as cut and dry as "use the regular ticket media and its the same". Obviously it's not going to be or Disney wouldn't openly admit as much.

My bigger problem, which I've stated over and over, is that this WILL be used to create "haves" and "have nots". Stay in a resort, get extra fastpasses. Spend more in generic Disney Parks crap, get more fastpasses. THAT is the problem with this system that ALL of us should be bothered by, band or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom