Maelstrom's Deplorable Condition

aladdin2007

Original Poster
Is there any love on the horizon for Maelstrom? Was on it yesterday and the fjord scene room before you go down the waterfall looks horrible. Holes/openings everywhere in the ceiling, it looked like it was falling apart and filthy, grime and dirt, maybe mildew literally covering the mural on the wall all the way down (almost looks like soot its all black), and then the wall in the oil rig scene is all messed up too. The first half of the ride is okay per say, but this is beyond bad shape. Bad show is one thing but these left to rot conditions are pathetic.

ddbowdoin

Is there any love on the horizon for Maelstrom? Was on it yesterday and the fjord scene room before you go down the waterfall looks horrible. Holes/openings everywhere in the ceiling, it looked like it was falling apart and filthy, grime and dirt, maybe mildew literally covering the mural on the wall all the way down (almost looks like soot its all black), and then the wall in the oil rig scene is all messed up too. The first half of the ride is okay per say, but this is beyond bad shape. Bad show is one thing but these left to rot conditions are pathetic.

it's those damn oil rigs!

in all seriousness, I agree with you. It's a great attraction as well, which is the sad part. My wife and I couldn't go to EPCOT without this ride.

maryszhi

it might be the same reason the movie has not been updated since the ride opened,they simply do not have the money from the sponsor.

The Incredible Schmulk

it might be the same reason the movie has not been updated since the ride opened,they simply do not have the money from the sponsor.

I don't even think that the Norway Pavilion has a sponsor right now. The government of Norway pulled out of funding the site a decade ago. As far as I know, I don't think a corporate provider has stepped up since to offer any significant amount of money towards its maintenance.

Now, I'm not really sure why a sponsor is even needed for Disney to refurb one of its own rides, but if that's what is holding back the work, they better start busking for change now. I don't think they're going to get any outside help anytime soon.

wiigirl

I always cringe when I hear Disney doesn't have enough money to complete a project in the parks...they should be ashamed to use an excuse like that with their record profits.

I agree 100%!
75.gif

Cmdr_Crimson

It's still a fun ride...Just wish there was more to this than what it is...I mean if the Norwegian govt dropped off this Pavillion isn't there a way to I don't know...Retheme it as another country???

Alektronic

All that stuff was mold and mildew, they have some leaky air conditioning ducts and that has been happening for a while, they fix some once in a while when it gets really bad. But they can only do so much in one overnight. They never want to shut down the ride for a whole day to fix anything. So after shut down, they drain the flume, put up scaffolding, repair some ceiling tiles, then remove the scaffolding, refill the level with water, then start up the ride.

bearboysnc

Ideally, we should never have to, but I do and send e-mails whenever I'm unhappy with something at WDW.

No, we shouldn't have to. Sloppy caretaking starts at the top. But if everyone complains enough and we might start getting a park that rivals DL in maintenance. DL has over a million pass holders, and they
are all trained to march to City Hall and complain when they don't like something.

Did Knee

It's still a fun ride...Just wish there was more to this than what it is...I mean if the Norwegian govt dropped off this Pavillion isn't there a way to I don't know...Retheme it as another country???
Interesting thought. How hard would it be to make it the Swedish pavilion or Danish? Estonian? Latvian? Are the cultures so different that a total re-work would be required? Perhaps just the threat to do such a think would bring the original sponsors back.

Cmdr_Crimson

Interesting thought. How hard would it be to make it the Swedish pavilion or Danish? Estonian? Latvian? Are the cultures so different that a total re-work would be required? Perhaps just the threat to do such a think would bring the original sponsors back.

Ohhh I don't know...Scotland.....Brave......Fate..Witch's curse makes us go backwards..? *Runs & Hides as the torches get lit*

JIMINYCR

I always cringe when I hear Disney doesn't have enough money to complete a project in the parks...they should be ashamed to use an excuse like that with their record profits.

Disney's going to set up donation buckets at the ride exits. Guests drop their donations for future repairs into the containers instead of dropping their coins into the rides waterways. That way we can all be a part of improving o_O the magic.

luv

It's truly sad to see the shape of some places at Disney. It was once a very clean, well-kept place.

Captain Chaos

Ideally, we should never have to, but I do and send e-mails whenever I'm unhappy with something at WDW. I at least feel like I'm doing something. If it bothers me enough, I should complain...and so should everyone else who is not saitisfied, imho.
Completely and totally agree...

Maelstrom used to be a ride I enjoyed (just not the film)... Sad to hear it is in the current state it is in... But, sadly, this is typical for today...

rle4lunch

The true travesty is that this ride even exists. It's like it was an afterthought. It has to be the.most.ridiculous.ride in all the parks, and certainly nothing this cheesy and dumb belongs in Epcot. It truly dumbs down the experience of visiting the park. I wish they'd bulldoze that whole country and put something in there that actually makes sense. Back in the day it was just a cheap way for Norweigan cruise lines to show one of their boats floating by an oil rig.

We now only ride it because my wife hysterically laughs thru the whole thing because of how utterly dumb it is.

Back! Back! Back! to the crappy mind who thought up this shamble of a ride.

aladdin2007

Original Poster
The true travesty is that this ride even exists. It's like it was an afterthought. It has to be the.most.ridiculous.ride in all the parks, and certainly nothing this cheesy and dumb belongs in Epcot. It truly dumbs down the experience of visiting the park. I wish they'd bulldoze that whole country and put something in there that actually makes sense. Back in the day it was just a cheap way for Norweigan cruise lines to show one of their boats floating by an oil rig.

We now only ride it because my wife hysterically laughs thru the whole thing because of how utterly dumb it is.

Back! Back! Back! to the crappy mind who thought up this shamble of a ride.

How does Norway not make sense? It use to be the best pavilion and is still a favorite of many. The ride was brilliant for its time and use to have more effects. Its just been let go is all. Dumbing down and cheesy was adding Donald to Mexico.

At one time Norway was the only pavilion to have one of everything. Ride, film, exhibit, playground, bakery, restaurant etc. It would be awful see it bulldozed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom