Maelstrom's Deplorable Condition

flavious27

LOL! That's awesome. I will bring my Swiffer, bucket, and sponges. and duct tape. lots of duct tape

Don't forget the oxi-clean, we might need the big bucket.

Funny thing I just noticed while looking up Akershus Castle is if you look at it on Google Maps with a satellite view the Magic/Wonder is docked right beside it :p

That is so awesome. So see disney can use that as a bargaining chip. They can bring the tourists back to norway.

MarkTwain

Funny thing I just noticed while looking up Akershus Castle is if you look at it on Google Maps with a satellite view the Magic/Wonder is docked right beside it :p

Yep! That was one of the Magic's stops for the summer of 2010. We took that itinerary. :D

P7080112.jpg

P7080121.jpg

And one from the Akershus itself:

P7080326.jpg

It was certainly easy to get to! :)

dopeylover

The true travesty is that this ride even exists. It's like it was an afterthought. It has to be the.most.ridiculous.ride in all the parks, and certainly nothing this cheesy and dumb belongs in Epcot. It truly dumbs down the experience of visiting the park. I wish they'd bulldoze that whole country and put something in there that actually makes sense. Back in the day it was just a cheap way for Norweigan cruise lines to show one of their boats floating by an oil rig.

We now only ride it because my wife hysterically laughs thru the whole thing because of how utterly dumb it is.

Back! Back! Back! to the crappy mind who thought up this shamble of a ride.

I have to preface this with saying I love the Maelstrom, and I also love the 3 Cabellaros in Mexico. I wish that after you got off the ride in Norway, you could actually go into the little shops and homes and whatnot. That ride has made me want to go to Norway.

That being said, I can KIND OF understand how you can find them silly. But the thing is, you have to look at both of those rides for what they are...advertisements to visit the perspective countries. They are essentially travel commercials you can ride. They are somewhat simple, entertaining, and quick. Embrace it that way, instead of comparing it to another ride in WDW, and you will enjoy it much much more IMO.

It makes me sad to hear that its a bit run down, and I hope they repair the issues.

Lastly, there is NOTHING more ridiculous in all the parks than Stitches Great Escape. :D

Mrs.Toad

I don't think they will rip it out. Really, it is all they have ride wise, along with Mexico in WS. Which is ridiculous to me, but I will leave that for another time. And they are even very close by country wise, with nothing on the other side of WS.

Just sad that if it is run down and the maintenance, up-keep is so so, due to lack of diverting funds to that or whatever, it just chinks away at my hope. If they are not fixing and maintaining at a satisfactory to high level, what would make me think they will add countries or even add rides to existing ones?

I was young when Norway was added. Gah! Now I am an adult and I could probably not see another country added in my lifetime. :eek:

luv

The ceiling in the loading are is in deplorable condition. Most blocks are mildewy, a couple are sagging, a few have been replaced with new tile that doesn't match.

It's gross.

They should fix it.

I wish Disney would put someone in charge who wants to clean the place up.

rle4lunch

Let me see if I am following and apologies if my assumptions are inaccurate. You ride it because your 'wife hysterically laughs thru (through) the whole thing because of how utterly dumb it is.' and 'we laugh at all the people that are being suckered onto that ride expecting anything worth anything'.

Laughing hysterically throughout the ride leads me to believe that this is at least heard by everyone else on the boat. Isn't that rude? And it seems several people on this thread including myself think the ride is definately worth a visit while we are there. Are you laughing at us? Isn't that rude?

Or are you just lying and if so, why are you wasting your time lying on a thread about a ride that you hate?

No, there is laughing all the way through this ride. Maybe not to the point that its rude, but the laughter is there. This is definitely warranted, as the ride is hypocrisy in its simplest form. It shows an oil rig as a main part of the ride, and then tries to talk conservation afterward. Now mind you, I'm no global warming alarmist idiot, I know that oil runs the world, and I could care less if it's part of the ride, but trying to promote something anti oil after the ride is just dumb.

Intentions were probably good, but this ride was not thought through at all, and will always be a joke to me. And yes, we truly ride it because it is the most ridiculous thing in Epcot, if not all of WDW.

rle4lunch

I have to preface this with saying I love the Maelstrom, and I also love the 3 Cabellaros in Mexico. I wish that after you got off the ride in Norway, you could actually go into the little shops and homes and whatnot. That ride has made me want to go to Norway.

That being said, I can KIND OF understand how you can find them silly. But the thing is, you have to look at both of those rides for what they are...advertisements to visit the perspective countries. They are essentially travel commercials you can ride. They are somewhat simple, entertaining, and quick. Embrace it that way, instead of comparing it to another ride in WDW, and you will enjoy it much much more IMO.

It makes me sad to hear that its a bit run down, and I hope they repair the issues.

Lastly, there is NOTHING more ridiculous in all the parks than Stitches Great Escape. :D

you have a point there. but i'm stickin' to my guns on this one! lol

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maelstrom is a great ride and it can use some love for sure.
The truth is they don't need a sponsor to get the money to do this they just need to sell two o those sweaters....good god.

Dale sweaters are that expensive in Norway too :) I think I paid about $50 for a hat for a family member awhile back.. and about $300 for a sweater. But they last forever and are true generation hand-me-downs.

flynnibus

Premium Member

No, those are other cruise ships. There are cruise ships to Denmark and Germany that dock in Oslo harbor and are there all the time because some run as ferries.. and some run as booze cruises :)

TP2000

No, we shouldn't have to. Sloppy caretaking starts at the top. But if everyone complains enough and we might start getting a park that rivals DL in maintenance. DL has over a million pass holders, and they
are all trained to march to City Hall and complain when they don't like something.

Not only are the Disneyland APs trained to complain, but the Disneyland employees are trained to paint, fix, upgrade and improve the things the APs complain about.

You can complain all you want at Guest Relations. But if the only reply from TDO is to pay a Guest Relations hostess 10 bucks an hour to stand behind the counter and pretend to be concerned and pretend to jot notes down as you talk and pretend to "notify the appropriate team" until you finally walk away from the counter, then nothing gets fixed and nothing changes.

As I am both a huge Epcot fan, and of Norwegian descent, it pains me to think about the condition of the Norway pavilion. It didn't look good when I rode it last a couple years ago, but I am always so enamored of the young Norwegians staffing the place as I fumble with my 3rd grade level Norwegian and they politely play along with me, I didn't realize it was that bad. Maelstrom looked pretty moldy and tired when last I rode it, but if the mold and decay is spreading to the rest of the pavilion that just makes me really sad.

There's no other word to describe it. I'm just sad. :(

I've never gotten a "conservation" vibe from the Norway movie. I've gotten that the spirit of Norway is in its people, but nothing to do with conservation.

That little boy from the film must be in his 30's now, I wonder if he ever goes to Epcot. If he did, I wonder if he would get front of the line privileges... "you know, I'm the boy from the film"... :p

COProgressFan

Not only are the Disneyland APs trained to complain, but the Disneyland employees are trained to paint, fix, upgrade and improve the things the APs complain about.

You can complain all you want at Guest Relations. But if the only reply from TDO is to pay a Guest Relations hostess 10 bucks an hour to stand behind the counter and pretend to be concerned and pretend to jot notes down as you talk and pretend to "notify the appropriate team" until you finally walk away from the counter, then nothing gets fixed and nothing changes.

You said it...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Google maps:

I realized after I wrote that (and left..) that there were probably views I hadn't looked at recent and knew it would come back to bite me :) The 'chance' of that happening seems so unlikely that I have to think someone went up for imaging purely based on Disney being in town. That and them docking over there right opposite the castle and City Hall. That part of the water front is not normally used by the cruise ships. Normally you might see some tall mast sailing ships tied up along there, if anything at all.

There are multiple cruise ships tied up there in Oslo Fjord every day due to the ferry services and recreational cruises I figured someone just had Disney on the mind when looking at images (wrong). Alcohol is taxed so heavily in Norway (it's about $10 for a beer there in city center - and liquor is so crazy taxed almost everyone drinks beer when out..) that its very popular to take the cruise ships for an overnight cruise across the sea for just a single day or weekend to party :)

I bet when people got off the boat.. they probably were racing back to the boat for Disney prices compared to Oslo prices :) A big mac meal at McDonalds is almost $8

Californian Elitist

Heh. So true. There's a reason why Ariel's hair isn't in that soft serve style anymore, and why the BVS displays have gotten rid of some of that merchandise. At the same time, if TDO won't listen anyway, then that makes things harder.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The same DL guest relations that aren't allowed to take written complaints or compliments anymore, right? Let's not put DL up on a pedestal here.. they do the same exact thing.. contact the area folks and relay the information. What management chooses to do with that is independent of the Guest Relations staff.

The reality is the entitlement attitude is so miserable out there that DLR has to bend over backwards and give them the moon over the slightest thing and it's completely out of control. The DLR customer base has no qualms at all about waiting in long lines for guest relations to ensure they get their cut.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom