Maelstrom refurb!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
My parents & I don't remember the tesla coil at all. I keep hearing about it and even seeing pictures about it, but I honestly just don't remember ever seeing it in the ride. I've been going to WDW since 1988 and my parents have been going (together) since 1985. What was the lifetime of the tesla coil and was it there when I went (once a year, at least, from 1988 onward)? I think it's a very neat effect from what I've read and I'd like to see it brought back, just to experience it for myself if for no other reason.
and you go by the name maelstrom.... lol, jk

im not sure of the life span of one, but im sure if they proved to be long lasting and cheap, disney would have probably put it back in there or fixed it.

i think there was a great pic of it with the working lights on... anyone got it?

DisneyMusician2

I love the Malestrom...it's a short ride, and its a great diversion. Not everything needs to be a huge e-ticket to be fun and successful...I wish they would add a similar experience to more of the world showcase pavillions!

MJMcBride

I love the Malestrom...it's a short ride, and its a great diversion. Not everything needs to be a huge e-ticket to be fun and successful...I wish they would add a similar experience to more of the world showcase pavillions!

too bad they never did the gondola ride in Italy or the other ideas. Budgets are a real downer

kcnole

This has always been one of my favorite things in Epcot. When we first visited as a kid we got on this ride. It had just started to pour a torential downpour. I remember when you got to the part where it looked like the boat heads outside we were certain we were about to get drenched. Then of course it changes course and we all laughed and laughed. Of course since it was pouring there was no one in line and we weren't leaving so they let us just keep riding it over and over. We must have ridden that ride about 10 times in a row before it quit raining. As silly as it is, that is my single happiest memory at Disney ever. It really felt like my family had that attraction to ourselves for about 30 minutes and we had a wonderful time. I'm glad to see this attraction getting some TLC.

Blonde Princess

Maybe this has been touched on and if it has, I apologize. But does anyone know if they are changing or removing the Spirit of Norway movie at the end of the ride. It definitely needs changing or updating. With China and Canada getting new movies it would seem Norway would be next in line.

LuLaSue

too bad they never did the gondola ride in Italy or the other ideas. Budgets are a real downer

Not sure on this, but wasn't the gondola ride was part of the original plan in Italy. I was under the impression the they ran out of funds!:shrug:

kcnole

Maybe this has been touched on and if it has, I apologize. But does anyone know if they are changing or removing the Spirit of Norway movie at the end of the ride. It definitely needs changing or updating. With China and Canada getting new movies it would seem Norway would be next in line.

I haven't heard anything from official channels. A few years ago there was a rumor that the country of Norway had agreed to terms to do so, but I haven't heard anything since then. I don't mind the movie that is there so much if they had a way for you to just skip it.

Blonde Princess

Maybe I misunderstood your post. If I have then disregard the following. But, you can skip the movie after the Norway ride. When the doors open just walk right across the front and leave. We've done it many times. Also, in the holding area at the end of the ride there is an exit door to the right of the movie doors. It's a door on the fake townscape. Although you're not supposed to technically go through that door. I've had to do it with my little ones several times to make it to the potty. No one has ever said anything to me.

kcnole

yes, but you have to wait for the doors to actually open. Otherwise you're stuck just sitting there for several minutes.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Spirit of Norway is a great film; lovely music, well paced and supreb cinematography. Or is 4 minutes 52 seconds too long to wait before the next 3 minute thrill ride for most guests?

It`s not nearly as outdated as Impressions de France.

fyn

I was under the impression that the contract with the Norwegian government, or travel bureau, had expired, and now Disney owns/supports the whole pavilion. I hope they manage to keep the Disney characters out.

It *would* be cool if they added a bit more story to the ride though. Its always seemed really shallow, and everyone's takeaway is "It has a big troll, he almost pushed us off a cliff, but then we went backwards." I'd love to be told a classic norwegian tale that went along with the ride.

-Fyn

cmatt

its nice but some of it is a bit toooooooo 70's / 80's :s the ride itself is awesome. The village setting you walk through at the end is stunning - they shouldve had a continental market ish vibe to it :)

Pongo

Maybe they're adding some sort of time warp in order to make the ride last longer than -.78335 seconds :lookaroun

No but seriously, I hope they don't do anything drastic. I love Maelstrom!

bjlc57

I hope that they restore..

Maelstrom to it's former self. .Maelstrom used to really extend the boats out into the opening.. much further out then what they do now.. and then the troll was much more affective. it was a double scare tactic. I hope that they return to this set up.. its really very evident that the boats don't travel that far out the cave..

Krimedog

I like this ride, it is something that you can take a load off of your feet for a few minutes while walking through the pavilions. Plus the gift shop at the end has some interesting things (troll figures, norway fleeces, perfume) and personally i hate the smell of that perfume, gives me a head ache every time i walk through. This rehab is a plus though, and for everyone who thinks it may just be paint and things like that, for how long the rehab is taking place, may be more than that.

raven

..and personally i hate the smell of that perfume, gives me a head ache every time i walk through. This rehab is a plus though, and for everyone who thinks it may just be paint and things like that, for how long the rehab is taking place, may be more than that.

As with all perfume stores the smell can be very overwhelming since there is an abundence of it. The one in the France pavillian is the same way.

I have been wearing the men's version of that smell "Geir" for about 5 years now and love it! :wave:

Jerm

The Spirit of Norway is a great film; lovely music, well paced and supreb cinematography. Or is 4 minutes 52 seconds too long to wait before the next 3 minute thrill ride for most guests?

It`s not nearly as outdated as Impressions de France.

I could not agree more. I enjoy both films, but there is nothing worse then pulling up to the dock just as the doors close.....

I love Inpressions de France, that would be a great one to just redo scene for scene in present day.

J

DisneyMusician2

The real test of a video like that is what native norwegians would think about it. I don't know if there are any on the boards to respond though...:D

I am really glad the Canada video is being replaced due to the fact that the Candadians didn't think it really represented them.

But the ride I think is great, I am hoping they can just give it a facelift, and we won't see the introduction of the 4th Caballero, Sven...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom