M:S not up to par??

Testtrack321

I really think, as someone said before, that it was people's love for Horizons and their overall attatudes towards WDW currently that will influence their opinions. Also, don't immediatly hate this ride thill you get to ride it.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Testtrack321
I really think, as someone said before, that it was people's love for Horizons and their overall attatudes towards WDW currently that will influence their opinions. Also, don't immediatly hate this ride thill you get to ride it.

eh...if people want to prejudge this ride, so be it--it will only make the lines shorter for those of us hardcore maniacs who have already ridden it over 50 times before official opening lol

MouseRight

I am one of the biggest Disney fans around. I go to WDW many times per year and enjoy everything I can over and over (Actually a little sick if you think about it rationally as my family has pointed out). I was a big Horizons fan (Especualliy since I had Friends who worked at GE and I got the special treatment). However, I believe in Progress (Oh my, Progress - that word sounds like something Walt was in favor of!!!). I couldn't wait to ride M:S and had high expectations. Unfortunately it didn't cut it for me.

Several factors:
Motion sickness - My problem, not Disney's fault - makes it hard to enjoy and experience teh ride.

The Story - an essential element of each ride, was just blase'. Not a real trip, just training, simulators are mentioned. Tells teh BRain that it is just another simulator.

High Expectations - Our built up expectations were not matched by the actual ride and experience. Not sure if my fault or Disney's. I can tell you that with the commercials I have seen locally and the hype that is beginning, thsi ride is being touted as the best thing to come to theme parks since the invention of teh roller coaster. Not sure it will meet thase expectations.

However - I know enough about the ride and technology to be toatlly impressed in what Disney has tried to and did accomplish. The use of this technology is an awesome idea and only Disney can accomplish the partnership between NASA, the ride manufacturer and Disney Imaginneers to make it a total ride expereince.

SpectroMan

When I rode Spider-Man last year, I thought "Disney has some work to do." Well, it is my belief that Disney has done it with Mission: Space. Like many have said, it isn't a thrill ride. A thrill ride is a rollercoaster or a free-fall drop. Disney has made something unique and different, an experience. When people come of the ride, they can say "that was cool" in an awe-inspired way.

ToTBellHop

Quite honestly, it would not work out for them to actually say they were sending guests to Mars on this ride. For one, this wouldn't be realistic with a 5 minute ride, secondly, you'd have to theme the entire post-show area like Mars, which would feel very much like Tomorrowland, simply unrealistic (there isn't much to look at on Mars...). Furthermore, if you take guests to Mars, how are they getting back? Do they have to ride twice, or are we going to use a Star Trek-y beaming system? It simply would not have been realistic, so I'm glad they went with the training mission story, instead. Furthermore, given the ride system, no matter what, it would have always felt like the next generation of the video game. At least by calling this a simulator, this doesn't hurt the story for us. It would were they trying to say this was a real rocket going to Mars...not to mention trying to hide the ride system would be rather difficult.

disneydawg

I wasnt disappointed at all with the fact that Disney presented this ride as a training mission or simulator. The story doesnt suffer due to this. I thought they did a great job immersing you in the world of astronaut training. That world is exciting in and of itself.

Avenger23

I just returned from an 8 day trip and got on M:S 3 times.

It was very fun, and blows Test Track away in terms of both thrills and experience I would say.

It was not the end all be all though. I like to compare it to when Star Wars Ep 1 was being made, even though it wasn't the greatest movie, no matter how good it was there was NO WAY it could have lived up to the hype it recieved. M:s I think suffers from the same problem. People talk about being weightless and such, and while you can feel it slighty, I think they may feel let down by the lack of the effect.

I would put it easily as one of the top 5 attractions in WDW. Just go with an open mind and have fun.

Joel

Tim G

Originally posted by SpectroMan
When I rode Spider-Man last year, I thought "Disney has some work to do." Well, it is my belief that Disney has done it with Mission: Space. Like many have said, it isn't a thrill ride. A thrill ride is a rollercoaster or a free-fall drop. Disney has made something unique and different, an experience. When people come of the ride, they can say "that was cool" in an awe-inspired way.
If Mission:Space is the break through Disney has been waiting for, it will give them bragging rights, if visitors consider Mission:Space to be even much cooler than Universal's $100 million Spider-Man ride across town, which is widely regarded as the industry's most advanced attraction, until now I hope...

AndyMagic

Originally posted by Corrus
If Mission:Space is the break through Disney has been waiting for, it will give them bragging rights, if visitors consider Mission:Space to be even much cooler than Universal's $100 million Spider-Man ride across town, which is widely regarded as the industry's most advanced attraction, until now I hope...
I think as of now, M:S is more "advanced" than Spider-Man but I still think Spider-Man is the better ride. Both are incredible but to me, a simulator can't compare to Spider-Man because on that ride I feel like I am actually THERE in the middle of this amazing 3-D world. That ride is perfect in every sense of the word while M:S is an amazing ride that seems to lack in certain moments. No doubt, M:S is the best SIMULATOR in the world however.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by AndyMagic
I think as of now, M:S is more "advanced" than Spider-Man but I still think Spider-Man is the better ride. Both are incredible but to me, a simulator can't compare to Spider-Man because on that ride I feel like I am actually THERE in the middle of this amazing 3-D world. That ride is perfect in every sense of the word while M:S is an amazing ride that seems to lack in certain moments. No doubt, M:S is the best SIMULATOR in the world however.

I felt like I was really on a space shuttle :)

disneydudette

ok...now heres my take on it...

I thought the ride was amazing...the first time...
the second time...it was ok...not as good as the first...but still good...

The effects were neat...and its a new experience...but I wasn't overally thrilled...whcih I think goes back to the fact that I favor it as an experience not a thrill...

I actually enjoyed cyber mountain at Disney Quest more than M:S...not sure why...but I found CM to be more "thrilling"

I'd gladly ride M:S again...and think its a great ride...BUT...when I look at the whole the package...I actually favor the Spiderman ride more than M:S...

I'm a bad Disney fan:cry:

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by disneydudette
ok...now heres my take on it...

I thought the ride was amazing...the first time...
the second time...it was ok...not as good as the first...but still good...

The effects were neat...and its a new experience...but I wasn't overally thrilled...whcih I think goes back to the fact that I favor it as an experience not a thrill...

I actually enjoyed cyber mountain at Disney Quest more than M:S...not sure why...but I found CM to be more "thrilling"

I'd gladly ride M:S again...and think its a great ride...BUT...when I look at the whole the package...I actually favor the Spiderman ride more than M:S...

While I feel Mission: SPACE is the best ride on the planet, I do agree that Cyberspace Mountain is a more intense ride--because of the inversions, if nothing else. However, SPACE is the most realistic simulator I have ever ridden. When you ride Cyberspace Mountain, you feel the inversions, but you don't feel the illusion of motion, making it not feel like you are REALLY on a roller coaster. With the added feeling of acceleration and deceleration that Mission: SPACE produces, coupled with the traditional simulator motions of up and down, right and left, I actually feel like I am really going to Mars. I don't know what it is about Spiderman, but I don't feel as though simple 3D along w/ some amazing effects really make me feel like I am IN a comic book--I always feel like a spectator on Spidey. SPACE is just more realistic to me, not the most intense ride I've ever been on, but the most fun. I don't think they intended for it to be the most intense ride in the world--with the ride system developed, they could have made this ride a LOT more intense, but chose not to. I think its intensity is perfect...Cyberspace Mountain may be more intense, but I don't honestly find Cyberspace Mountain fun...inversion after inversion after inversion...

dxwwf3

Originally posted by disneydudette
I actually favor the Spiderman ride more than M:S...

Don't feel bad. I feel the same way too. And if Spiderman was in a Disney park (exact same ride) ALOT more people would admit it too :lol: But that's not really a knock on M:S. I love them both but I still like Spiderman a little bit better.

surfsupdon

Original Poster
A girl friend of mine just called yesterday reporting she had gone on Mission Space. She said if it's a long wait, do not wait for the ride. The experience itself is waiting a lot before entering the actual ride, and the ride feels more like a movie. I mean, she liked it more than disliked it, but mentioned to not wait more that 45 mins for it for my family.

Testtrack321

Hmm... I trust anyones opinion, but more like a movie? It's like saying ToT is just another dark ride.... I wonder if her ride was weak....

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by s25843
We already estblashed the fact that all the Simulators are the same

No we didn't. We haven't established anything since all information is proprietary, so we will never know the truth. CMs and Imagineers can assure guests that there is no variation at all, but these are the same Cast Members and Imagineers who guaranteed that this ride would not be open until August 15th. Disney selects what they can or cannot say, so if you ride it and think it's the same every time, fantastic. Several of us would disagree, more than enough to say it's not just psychological. Look at the vote tally. More than enough said Red over the others to make me think there is a difference. Maybe there isn't, but I felt like there was when I rode, as have many others.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
No we didn't. We haven't established anything since all information is proprietary, so we will never know the truth. CMs and Imagineers can assure guests that there is no variation at all, but these are the same Cast Members and Imagineers who guaranteed that this ride would not be open until August 15th.

No WDI people told me that it was guaranteed not to open until Aug 15th, infact it was quite the opposite. As usual you are stating things as fact that obviously are not.

I am really becoming tired of your posts that contain information that you present as fact, but have absolutely no basis for. I have seen your posts over on other forums, where you take information directly from this site, and present it as fact over there. Fortunately, the information I post on the main site does have a solid basis, so your reproductions are pretty accurate. One of those days though you will come unstuck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom