M:S not up to par??

CTXRover

I'm kind of surprised to hear some think it wasn't "thrilling". I find it extremely thrilling, all 16 times I've rode it thus far. There is a lot of excitement that builds as the countdown starts. Perhaps MS fails to produce the "cheap thrills" inverted coasters do, but I find it far more exciting. I also find lauch and reentry into Mars to be some of the most intense moments ever produced by any theme park attraction.

Some say they wanted to be pushed farther in terms of intensity. Although it is possible that some can handle more intense conditions, my parents, who over all were impressed with the ride, thought Disney actually went too far in pushing the intensity envelope. Just differences in opinion, I guess, but something to consider.

ToTBellHop

Hmmm...maybe it's just that I rode it 57 times in 5 days, but it did seem to get less thrilling as time went on. Lucky for me, I won't be back for a year, so it'll be just as fun by the time I go back:) The first 20 or so times I rode...smile on my face from start to finish:D As of right now, it's my favorite ride, but it is very close to the ToT to me--I still think the ToT has the best theming of any ride on the planet...SPACE is just...well, any of us who have ridden know that it is hard to explain exactly why it is so incredible--first timers would ask me as we got in the pods "why do you like this so much?" and I'd just say "you'll understand in 4½ minutes". It's not perfect though--I listed the problems I noted in my trip report, but some of the problems cannot be fixed, like the fact that your flight path on Mars is impossible (as you break the atmosphere, note that there is no canyon connecting where you reach the 200 miles above the surface point and the north pole...yet it appears), but hey--nothing is perfect, and it was only after 20 or so rides that I started to notice all that stuff. One thing is clear--it is better than Test Track, and from what we see w/ Test Track's lines, SPACE will be a success. Bring on Soarin'!

disneydawg

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Hmmm...maybe it's just that I rode it 57 times in 5 days, but it did seem to get less thrilling as time went on.

I think you hit the nail on the head. You knew what was coming and after a while its harder to get pumped up over it. To me, riding that many times in that short a time span would burn out alot of people. Thats not to say that the ride doesnt have staying power. I think its an incredible attraction on par with ToT.

kennyj29

Same old story, two different opinions and there will ALWAYS be. You can't please everybody all the time so you have to expect it. Does it surprise you that Walter who has an avatar with Horizons on it didn't like it? I will look at the whole picture when I go on it and not just, it's not an F ride mentallity. I always do, however, some people are just looking for thrill. I will look at the whole thing and then make my opionion. For someone to have an attraction with that much technology is a great thing. I hope when I ride it, I will appreciate the time and work that went into it.

Walter

Wow. No, I did not take time to look at the ride system. I guess $100 million is okay. However, I think that it costs too much, now. I mean, people will go on it, but how long will it take to make a profit over $100 million?

Walter

Originally posted by kennyj29
Does it surprise you that Walter who has an avatar with Horizons on it didn't like it?

Yes, the fact that it replaced Horizons did taint my opinion. I was also judging it as a part of WDW, not as a lone attraction. If this ride was in a different park, then my opinion would not have been nearly as bad. I've just been angered lately that Disney has only been doing thrill rides.

DarkMeasures

I hate Horizons. It was always closed whenever I went to Disney.

But anyway. I loved Mission:Space but the intensity seemed to keep changing. Of the 8 times I rode it, the most intense times where the first and last. The least intense ride whes my 7th ride on it.

s25843

Originally posted by Walter
Wow. No, I did not take time to look at the ride system. I guess $100 million is okay. However, I think that it costs too much, now. I mean, people will go on it, but how long will it take to make a profit over $100 million?

You also have to remember that Disney did not pay for most of that 100 mill, HP did...

Also Look at Test Track, the most delayed ride in Disney History, its been open for 4 years now and the wait times are still 90-200 minutes long. Thats Insane!

I still cant beleive that M:S Opened with only a 5 month delay!

Walter

y, now that I really think about it, M:S will really help Epcot. Think about it this way-the reason people go to MK is to take their kids there, because their parents did the same for them. But, you need extra initiative to go to the other parks. A lot of people go to MGM, mainly because of it's two thrillrides, ToT and RnR. M:S will become the second thrill ride at Epcot, after TT. That should help Epcot. EE should do the same for AK. It will become the second main thrill ride, after Dinosaur. I guess I was judging it too harshly. I just hope that, after this, they start to do more Epcot style rides (Soarin', etc.).

jcraycraft

Originally posted by Walter
Yes, the fact that it replaced Horizons did taint my opinion. I was also judging it as a part of WDW, not as a lone attraction. If this ride was in a different park, then my opinion would not have been nearly as bad. I've just been angered lately that Disney has only been doing thrill rides.

Walter: I wanted to say that I am not M:S fanatic, but I do like the ride very much. But I do wish that Horizons was still there. I last rode Horizons back in 1994, its was gone before I could return to WDW :cry: . It is sad that we cant have both Horizons and M:S.

Later

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Hank Scorpio
57 times????

You must live at Disney...

I live in Rochester, NY, and only go to the Walt Disney World Resort once each year--this year's trip was only five days long; my last trip was August of 2002, and my next will begin July 31st, 2004: I just rode Mission: SPACE non-stop for five days:cool:

CDS2

I never once felt “weightlessness” on M:S, I felt the G’s but not “weightlessness”. Who started the “weightlessness” rumor probably some hyped up fan, oh well, I liked the ride though, when I went on it I had no idea what M:S was about because I didn’t read many reviews on it. I went on Horizons when I was really young so I don’t remember it. I do like that Epcot is getting more attractions M:S, Soarin' and getting some much needed rehab, The Living Seas.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by CDS2
I never once felt “weightlessness” on M:S, I felt the G’s but not “weightlessness”. Who started the “weightlessness” rumor probably some hyped up fan, oh well, I liked the ride though, when I went on it I had no idea what M:S was about because I didn’t read many reviews on it. I went on Horizons when I was really young so I don’t remember it. I do like that Epcot is getting more attractions M:S, Soarin' and getting some much needed rehab, The Living Seas.

Again, I rode the ride 57 times August 1-5th, and in those days, I noticed an increase in the weightlessness effect, as did ISTCrew20, who I rode with. The first time I rode, I felt nothing, but as the days went on, I started flying out of my seat during those scenes--it's nothing made up, as it is a physical change I noted. Is it true zero-G? No. Centrifuges cannot produce that. But, while on my first ride, I felt nothing, but Tuesday, I could feel a noticeable change in the weightless scenes--right when you enter space, hyper sleep, and as you bottom out on your flight path across the surface of Mars.

I rode it 57 times in 5 days because I could, and because I will never be able to do that again. Furthermore, because it is an incredible attraction, my favorite at the Walt Disney World Resort, located in my new favorite park, Epcot, where I spent 90% of this trip.

CTXRover

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Again, I rode the ride 57 times August 1-5th, and in those days, I noticed an increase in the weightlessness effect, as did ISTCrew20, who I rode with. The first time I rode, I felt nothing, but as the days went on, I started flying out of my seat during those scenes--it's nothing made up, as it is a physical change I noted. Is it true zero-G? No. Centrifuges cannot produce that. But, while on my first ride, I felt nothing, but Tuesday, I could feel a noticeable change in the weightless scenes--right when you enter space, hyper sleep, and as you bottom out on your flight path across the surface of Mars.

I rode it 57 times in 5 days because I could, and because I will never be able to do that again. Furthermore, because it is an incredible attraction, my favorite at the Walt Disney World Resort, located in my new favorite park, Epcot, where I spent 90% of this trip.

I recently rode it over the annual passholder preview and too thought the weightless effect was "stronger" than when I rode in June. Maybe I was just making it work better by allowing myself to rest up against the restraints as the pod tilted during the zero G part after the launch sequence. In my opinion, the best "weightless" effect is NOT when "Zero G" is actually "confirmed" after launch, but rather after the slingshot around the moon. Its a funny feeling, probably just from a drastic decrease in G Forces, but a neat feeling :)

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by CTXRover
In my opinion, the best "weightless" effect is NOT when "Zero G" is actually "confirmed" after launch, but rather after the slingshot around the moon. Its a funny feeling, probably just from a drastic decrease in G Forces, but a neat feeling :)
Agreed. I love it right there and also after the heavy G-forces of your descent into Mars let up--that and the LOI are where you feel the heaviest G-Forces, so it makes sense that the zero G would feel the kewlest after those moments:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom