M:S disappointing

egionet

Originally posted by surfsupdon
I'm curious to know if those that disliked Mission Space had to wait in a long line before boearding. I made this mistake for my first time on Test Track--waited 75 mins and was completely let down. So we knew our first ride on MS should not be the posted 100mins. We'd walk over each morning from Yacht Club and go on first thing. And I learned that Testy Track isnt too bad either, as long as wait times are kept under 30 mins.

I walked right on. There was no wait at all. And just for clarification again, I did really like the ride. I was just expecting it to be better.

csaguy

M:S

I rode it 5 times around Christmas, trying to get my wife to go.
I agree, it is over rated.
1 or 2 more G's would be nice and another minute or 2 of ride is needed.
I was able to operate the extra switches during takeoff and the slingshot around the moon. My arms were heavy but not that bad.

Bob

Walter

I really don't think that I should judge, but I do have some things to say.

Mission: Space did not please me, no. The fact that it replaced my favorite attraction multiplies that, however, so keep that in mind. I know that it isn't M:S's fault that it's no longer there, but I can't help but have a bias. I have ridden M:S three times, giving it chance after chance, each time getting off saying "Boy, that sucked," but I am going to give it one more chance, having a completely open mind. If I still don't like it, then I definately won't be riding it again.

But, even still, I can tell you that it's not worth $100 million. It's not worth an "excellent" review (IMO,) and it's not worth a half-hour wait.

But, from what I remember, it was rather realistic feeling, except for the weightlessnes. However, I would suggest walking into the building with very low expectations. Don't think that it will be the best thing since sliced bread. If you do, I can nearly gaurantee that you will be dissapointed.

But, then again, I'm just an idiot.

dxwwf3

Originally posted by Walter
But, from what I remember, it was rather realistic feeling, except for the weightlessnes.

See this is where I think they are false advertising. There really is no weightlessness in Mission: Space. It is only a stop of spinning after launch. If they just said you experience 0 G's that's fine but saying you experience weightlessness is, to me, false advertising.

SpongeScott

Intensity in a ride is subject to the rider's physical makeup. While I can ride almost any coaster, riding Cinderella's Golden Carousel or Dumbo makes me very sick. So, while some think M:S is not intense, to many others it knocks their feet completely out from underneath them.

I personally enjoyed M:S and as you can see above, I normally cannot take the spinning. The liftoff and the slingshot around the moon are the best parts of the ride because it is a great simulation of the real thing. NASA astronauts have ridden it and have said that it's the real deal in the sensation. So, as a simulated ride, I think they hit this dead-on. That's where M:S meets all the expectations I had of it.

imagineer99

Originally posted by dxwwf3
See this is where I think they are false advertising. There really is no weightlessness in Mission: Space. It is only a stop of spinning after launch. If they just said you experience 0 G's that's fine but saying you experience weightlessness is, to me, false advertising.

0 G's is weightless! Normally, everyone experiences 1 G (which is the force of gravity pulling down on everybody at 9.8 m/s^2. Thus, during the "weightless" portion of Mission:Space you at the very least are experiencing 1 G. The reason Mission:Space is considered intense is that your body is being subjected to higher G's for a sustained period of time. Increasing the forces, would make the experience way too intense for the average user. In other words, those barf bags would be used a lot more frequently!

I think Mission: Space is a fabulous ride. It accomplished just what it intended: Simulate space travel. However, I do agree that it should be a tad longer. 4 1/2 minutes is truly short for a $150 million project.

dxwwf3

Originally posted by imagineer99
0 G's is weightless! Normally, everyone experiences 1 G (which is the force of gravity pulling down on everybody at 9.8 m/s^2. Thus, during the "weightless" portion of Mission:Space you at the very least are experiencing 1 G. The reason Mission:Space is considered intense is that your body is being subjected to higher G's for a sustained period of time. Increasing the forces, would make the experience way too intense for the average user. In other words, those barf bags would be used a lot more frequently!

I think Mission: Space is a fabulous ride. It accomplished just what it intended: Simulate space travel. However, I do agree that it should be a tad longer. 4 1/2 minutes is truly short for a $150 million project.

Sorry I made a typing mistake that I didn't realize. I ment to type 1 g insted of 0 g's. I just had 0 g's in my mind. Thank you for correcting me.

imagineer99

Originally posted by dxwwf3
Sorry I made a typing mistake that I didn't realize. I ment to type 1 g insted of 0 g's. I just had 0 g's in my mind. Thank you for correcting me.

Sorry for giving you such a physics lesson over just a typo!:lol: :lol:

Heyyall

It wasn't that I was really disappointed with Mission: Space. I liked it, I just think that it is overrated. I mean, in the commercial with the 4 kids who convice the 4 parents to go on M:S by telling them it's not a big deal shows the parents screaming their heads off, like the ride is terrifying. So i was expecting this really intense scary ride. When I went, yeah, i enjoyed it, but I didn't scream at all. It was just fun to me. I just think they made it seem a lot more scarier and intense than it really was. So I was disappointed.

imagineer99

Originally posted by Heyyall
It wasn't that I was really disappointed with Mission: Space. I liked it, I just think that it is overrated. I mean, in the commercial with the 4 kids who convice the 4 parents to go on M:S by telling them it's not a big deal shows the parents screaming their heads off, like the ride is terrifying. So i was expecting this really intense scary ride. When I went, yeah, i enjoyed it, but I didn't scream at all. It was just fun to me. I just think they made it seem a lot more scarier and intense than it really was. So I was disappointed.

My Mom was screaming her head off...

Heyyall

My Mom was screaming her head off...

okay, but I was talking about myself in my post...

"So i was expecting this really intense scary ride. When I went, yeah, i enjoyed it, but I didn't scream at all."

I was talking about why I was disappointed.

imagineer99

Originally posted by Heyyall
okay, but I was talking about myself in my post...

"So i was expecting this really intense scary ride. When I went, yeah, i enjoyed it, but I didn't scream at all."

I was talking about why I was disappointed.

I understand:) I just trying to let you know that there is a demographic out there that finds Mission: Space "Screamworthy." I was in the same boat as you! I didn't scream once.

raven

Haven't had the chance to ride M:S yet, but after all the "yes it's great, no it sucks!" posts in this thread, I think I will keep an open mind about it and just see for myself. :animwink:

Heyyall

I understand:) I just trying to let you know that there is a demographic out there that finds Mission: Space "Screamworthy." I was in the same boat as you! I didn't scream once.

Haha allright, sorry if I wasn't clear.:wave:

imagineer99

Originally posted by raven
Haven't had the chance to ride M:S yet, but after all the "yes it's great, no it sucks!" posts in this thread, I think I will keep an open mind about it and just see for myself. :animwink:

My advice to you is to pay attention to all the little details that make M:S great. In the capsule, there are lots of little buttons and switches to push, all of which either light up or make some kind of noise. Riding M:S is like a sensory overload, you just can't take it all in on one trip.

Swagger

Well just remember, nobody judges this ride as toughly as we do. The average person won't ride it and think of how great Horizons was. And VERY few will go in hearing as much about the ride as we have.

dxwwf3

Originally posted by raven

Well you should feel very privaliged that you have heard some negative comments before riding. All I heard was how great it was before I rode it this past summer. At that time there was NOT ONE SINGLE NEGATIVE REVIEW and I got my expetations too high. Walking off of Mission Space after the 1st ride was the most disapointed I have ever been at Disney World. I am sure you will enjoy the ride alot more than I did. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

Sir Hiss527

I also think that M:S was overrated to much. Yea I "WooHooed" alot, but I didn't scream. It's not scary, it just feels weird. Is there a button on M:S in the capsules that will completely stop the whole ride, incase someone gets sick? I hope they never do that...:wave:. Thanks!!

WDWFREAK53

Mission:Space isn't an intense ride...Mission:Space isn't a thrill ride...Mission:Space isn't a simulator...Mission:Space IS an experience.

Granted, it may or may not be all of those things...but what makes Mission:Space great is the overall experience of it.

I know the first time I walked into the building...there was hardly a wait. The music pumped me up. Walking in and seeing the Spacewheel for the first time put me in awe because I never realized the size of it. Seeing live people "working" the computers was just an "added" touch. Then...you get in the briefing room...there before you are astronauts suits...and the music still pumped me up even more now. Then Gary Sinise's spiel really makes you feel like you're doing something that nobody else has done...

Walking to your "pod"...with the music playing...after that video with Gary Sinise...you truly DO feel like a hero (kinda like when they do the slow walk in Armageddon :lookaroun )

(And we haven't even boarded the capsule yet!)

It's all how YOU perceive this attraction...but I know...even after reading everything about it on WDWMagic...I was pumped to go...and I was not disappointed at all. Is it Horizons? No. Is it a good attraction? Yes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom