Lunch with an Imagineer rumors answered

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I am actually talking about the participants, and this is a nit of a worry for me. I really want to learn more about the field, and not just Disney. But I am concerned that most of the people who do the program will be out there trying to hunt down obscure clues to upcoming attractions and hog all the conversation. Is it done conversational style, or is it more a stand up Q&A?

Conversational style.

captainbuzzy

I'll third that. I wonder if some fuel cell busses could be in the works. They should be getting to a point that wouldn't be too cost prohibitive.

Exciting no matter what the plan.

I'd vote for hydrogen internal combustion engines (HICE). In terms of technology they are alot more reliable and cheaper. You can lease a hydrogen shuttle bus from Ford starting next year. If it were my fleet and I was going green, that would be my choice. Either that or a hybrid bus, but the reliability and service concerns (batteries, high voltage) do not make it worthwhile.

figment1985

I also did the dine-with-an-imagineer lunch, and I found it to be a tad bit awkward. I felt like I was the only one asking questions. The lunch was delicious though. We met with a Disney Architect. He was kinda shy, which made it less enjoyable. It was still a good experience though.

the-reason14

Well if SM just HAS to be retracked, then Im hoping for a much smoother ride, maybe a little faster, EXACT same layout as before with an alpha and omega side, maybe some more comfortable seats, and no ride onboard audio. Thats what I hope if SM just has to be changed from a refurb.

Lee

Adventurer
Well if SM just HAS to be retracked, then Im hoping for a much smoother ride, maybe a little faster, EXACT same layout as before with an alpha and omega side, maybe some more comfortable seats, and no ride onboard audio. Thats what I hope if SM just has to be changed from a refurb.

No offense...but.....
AArrrrrgggghhhhh........:brick: :brick: :hammer:

Montu

If you are such a roller coaster geek, then first check your sources before calling someone out.

Right back at ya. Especially when you go out of your way to try and prove someone wrong without doing proper research.

I too know quite a bit about roller coasters.
The only older currently operating tubular steel track coasters are:
Matterhorn Bobsleds - 1959
*Mine Train - 1966 (*=Arrow Mine Train)
*Dahlonega Mine Train - 1967
*Marche du Mille-pattes - 1967
Bobsleds - 1968
*Mini Mine Train - 1969
*Cedar Creek Mine Ride -1969
Toboggan - 1971
*Gold Rusher - 1971
*River King Mine Train - 1971
*Carolina Gold Rusher - 1973
*Trailblazer - 1974
*Runaway Mine Train - 1974
Space Mountain - 1975

Oh? Then why is it that you only manage to cite coasters built by Arrow? You know there are several other coaster companies out there, and several of them have coasters that predate many of the Arrow rides you list (obviously with the exception being the Matterhorn Bobsleds). Beyond the fact that I don't understand your instance to stress "currently operating" - does that mean the other rides were not built before Space Mountain, because they closed recently? That's terrible logic. And it's flawed to begin with.

I'm not going to waste the time to post the many steel tublar track rides that predate Space Mountain, but I'll give you one. You can do your research and find the rest, same as I did, and same as you *should have done* before making yourself seem foolish with your attempt at a harsh response.

Coleoz'Arbres, Bagatelle (Merlimont, France), still currently operating is a Schwarzkopf Jet Star model. It was relocated to Bagatelle from Wiener Prater (Vienna, Austria) where it operated as Cortina Bob since its opening there in 1969.

I'd really recommend you look up Schwarzkopf. You seem to have never even heard of them. And that's just a sample of what's out there.

So Space Mountain is the 14th oldest operating tubular steel roller coaster. And the 4th oldest non-Arrow Mine Train clone coaster.
Not countless dozens.

Absolutely correct. *IF* you cleverly omit all the other steel tublar tracked coasters that were built. Yup, if we go by your Arrow list, you're compltely correct. I suppose that was the plan?

Centrifugeer

THANK YOU!!!!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: I'm getting tired of people 'slamming' the Dine w/an Imagineer program saying it's BS. It's a WONDERFUL program and I hope they never get rid of it.

Well I'm glad you understood the poorly crafted paragraph that I wrote. :)

None of us would have anything to gain from BSing the guests. There might be occassions when someone puts some bad information out there though. Much like this forum, Imagineering frequently has rumors that fly around and become accepted as fact, or least accepted as pretty solid rumors. Project plans are very dynamic as well and can change at the drop of a hat, so information that's valid one day may not be so the next. Maybe people should regard anything they here at Lunch with an Imagineer as having a very high likelyhood of being true and the best information available from that person at that time.

Glad you enjoyed the program. As long as there is a demand I can't see Disney pulling it. It's a project that never requires a refurb, costumes, or maintenance so it's internal costs are minimal and that makes the accountants happy. :lol:

banimall

One time I participated in the Have a Hotdog with a bus driver lunch, and he told me why they really put up the instructions for how to wash your hands, (sponsored in part by Brawny paper towels)

juan

Oh? Then why is it that you only manage to cite coasters built by Arrow?

Read the list - I see others NOT built by Arrow on the list.

You know there are several other coaster companies out there, and several of them have coasters that predate many of the Arrow rides you list (obviously with the exception being the Matterhorn Bobsleds).
Yes, and all of them weren't tubular steel track coasters. Steel "I" beam type, yes, but not tubular track.

Beyond the fact that I don't understand your instance to stress "currently operating" - does that mean the other rides were not built before Space Mountain, because they closed recently? That's terrible logic. And it's flawed to begin with.
It's terrible logic not to consider it. A roller coaster is a mechanical system on a intricate support structure. Over time, the coaster breaks and needs repaired. This requires specific parts for the rides. It is sometimes very hard and costly to find parts for a ride that the company no longer produces it or is no longer in business. So if the ride is still operating afterr so long, it is quite something.
And I'm stressing "currently operating" because that is what I said in my original post and you then decided to take it out of context.

I'm not going to waste the time to post the many steel tublar track rides that predate Space Mountain, but I'll give you one. You can do your research and find the rest, same as I did, and same as you *should have done* before making yourself seem foolish with your attempt at a harsh response.
Ok, besides the one I missed, there aren't any.

And no, I'm not gonna search around for the one that has move a million times and has gone in and out of operation.

And you can stop with any harsh responses. You are the one that started it.

Coleoz'Arbres, Bagatelle (Merlimont, France), still currently operating is a Schwarzkopf Jet Star model. It was relocated to Bagatelle from Wiener Prater (Vienna, Austria) where it operated as Cortina Bob since its opening there in 1969.
Ok I missed it in my search because it was out of operation from 1993 to 2001

I'd really recommend you look up Schwarzkopf. You seem to have never even heard of them. And that's just a sample of what's out there.
I'd recommend you look up Chance Rides and John Miller.
And yes, there are plenty more designers, you don't need to tell me about them.

*IF* you cleverly omit all the other steel tublar tracked coasters that were built. Yup, if we go by your Arrow list, you're compltely correct. I suppose that was the plan?
Again, reread the list.

Just chill man, it's really not a big deal. I really don't care. You're taking some little comment and making harsh responses.

We just need to end this thread drift and get back on topic.

Space Mountain is really, really old for its type of tracking and needs a good overhaul but isn't getting one quite yet.

The Mom

Premium Member
Just chill man, it's really not a big deal. I really don't care. You're taking some little comment and making harsh responses.

We just need to end this thread drift and get back on topic.

Space Mountain is really, really old for its type of tracking and needs a good overhaul but isn't getting one quite yet.

This sounds like a very good idea. End the thread drift, get back on topic, stop the sniping. :sohappy: As juan says, it's not really a big deal.

Please stop arguing, everyone! :mad:

Epcot82Guy

No offense...but.....
AArrrrrgggghhhhh........:brick: :brick: :hammer:

While I understand your aggravation with SM, Lee, I have to advocate for the layout style as working. I guess it comes from growing up in the Midwest with big coasters, but Disney rarely does THRILL well for us. It does fun incredibly well (why SM is still one of my favorite coasters anywhere). I also still do not see the rough argument. I've ridden it my whole life (last time being less than 3 weeks ago), and it still feels really smooth for its age and style. Of course it could be improved, but the jerky, sudden movements make the ride better. I never felt that it was rough at all, though. :veryconfu And, everyone in my party said the same thing (unprompted by me). Now, I am not opposed to a new layout at all; I just wouldn't want to see Paris' or an effects-laden one, I guess. Good ol' fully dark, sudden, and surprising makes it for me. :lol: So, darken it up. Retrack it if necessary. Add some comets/new tunnel effects. But, I guess I just think there are several other MK attractions that could use that budget more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom