Lunch with an Imagineer rumors answered

Tim G

:eek: :( I'm kinda disappointed in the advertising of Lunch with an Imagineer. It leads you to believe that you would be privy to sound choice inside info.

But...nooooooooooooo :D

Maybe it should be renamed Lunch with a Storyteller. :lol:
(I was going to say liar, but that would sound really bad)
Not so negative... If you ask him/her something, you always get a truthful answer, they always tell the truth about their work, what they do and themselves... but won't reveil anything about projects ...

And of course they tell you "stories" about projects, they will prevail the Magic...

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
:eek: :( I'm kinda disappointed in the advertising of Lunch with an Imagineer. It leads you to believe that you would be privy to sound choice inside info.

But...nooooooooooooo :D

Maybe it should be renamed Lunch with a Storyteller. :lol:
(I was going to say liar, but that would sound really bad)

I've seen books about imagineering that were interesting enough without giving away confidential information on upcoming projects.

Though personally, I don't think I'd pay to have lunch with an imagineer . . .

. . . I've had enough lunches with enough engineers. I usually try to think of excuses to not eat with them.:lookaroun :lol:

CPimagineer86

I've seen books about imagineering that were interesting enough without giving away confidential information on upcoming projects.

Though personally, I don't think I'd pay to have lunch with an imagineer . . .

. . . I've had enough lunches with enough engineers. I usually try to think of excuses to not eat with them.:lookaroun :lol:

Having lunch with an imagineer doesn't mean that you're having lunch with an engineer. Engineers are just a few of the hundreds of rolls that make up Imagineering. More than likely, the imagineer that you would be dining with would not be an engineer, and even if it was, I'm sure they would have their fair share of interesting stories to share.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not so negative... If you ask him/her something, you always get a truthful answer, they always tell the truth about their work, what they do and themselves... but won't reveil anything about projects ...

And of course they tell you "stories" about projects, they will prevail the Magic...

Thanks for clearing that up. :wave:

Tim G

Having lunch with an imagineer doesn't mean that you're having lunch with an engineer. Engineers are just a few of the hundreds of rolls that make up Imagineering. More than likely, the imagineer that you would be dining with would not be an engineer, and even if it was, I'm sure they would have their fair share of interesting stories to share.
Sorry, you're wrong...

darthjohnny

Sorry, you're wrong...

Well, just because you are an Imagineer doesn't mean you are an engineer.

However, I don't know what types of Imaginneers are sent to have lunch with you. There are probably some Artists and Story Script Writers that they can also send. :)

Tim G

Well, just because you are an Imagineer doesn't mean you are an engineer.

However, I don't know what types of Imaginneers are sent to have lunch with you. There are probably some Artists and Story Script Writers that they can also send. :)
Apologies... I just only read the word "Imagineer", missed the word "Engineer"

garyhoov

Trophy Husband

Yes, I'm sure you're right, but from my personal perspective, eating with someone who's having lunch with me as part of their job and telling me about their job sounds too much like work to me . . . no matter how interesting it may be.

When I'm on vacation, I'd prefer to avoid something like that, though I can understand why other people might think it would be fun.

Computer Magic

Yes, I'm sure you're right, but from my personal perspective, eating with someone who's having lunch with me as part of their job and telling me about their job sounds too much like work to me . . . no matter how interesting it may be.

When I'm on vacation, I'd prefer to avoid something like that, though I can understand why other people might think it would be fun.
What about lunch with Corrus...that would be cool.

Also since the dining plan is taking away from local getting into places. What about lunch with someone local or a CM :drevil: :lookaroun

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Thanks for posting your info.

Did he give you info on a time frame for BK or Space?

What about the Jungle Cruise? Did you ask him if there is a rehab in the future to coincide with the movie?

No timeframes were given - he was just kept saying "in the works" - I'm sure until an official announcement they're not allowed to say much.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Doesn't this contradict everything we have heard from reliable sources on these boards? Anyone know anthing about a change? As much as I would love to belive this I have to say SALT!:hammer:

Again, the Imagineer (Alex) was pretty vague on this point. I'm just posting what he said.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
What about lunch with Corrus...that would be cool.

Also since the dining plan is taking away from local getting into places. What about lunch with someone local or a CM :drevil: :lookaroun

Oh sure, I'd buy Corrus lunch any time. But I wouldn't want or expect him to talk work.

. . . in fact, I'd probably be the one boring him with my work stories.:lol:

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Tell us a little more about the whole thing - how many people were there? And were most of them somewhat familliar with Imagineering or was a lot of it "what does an imagineer do?" and "Are all imagineers show designers?". And how much of a chance did you get to ask questions.

I am hoping to do this in a few weeks, but I really do not want to spend the money on it just to have yet another feeble attempt to drag out upcoming rides from them. I am interested in hearing a lot more about what it is really like to work as an iomagineer - both the good and the bad. I don't want a rehash of one of the standard books out there.

What kind of role did he have - management or more engineering or desiger or more admin?

To answer your questions: The whole experience was WONDERFUL. There were 5 guests, including me, and our Imagineer Alex. Everyone at the table was familiar with Imagineers and what they do. Alex started by telling us his background and how he got into imagineering in the first place and anytime along the way we could stop and ask questions. It wasn't anything formal.

I didn't go into the lunch wanting to know all of the gossip and upcoming rumors, I just wanted the experience of getting to know an imagineer (and that's exactly what the experience was for me). In the year that I worked at Disney (2003-2004) I never got to meet any of them and they are all inspiring to me.

It was WELL worth the $75 for lunch ($60 + tax/tip) and I will be doing it again next year when I vacation again. The food was worth the $75 alone and you get a keepsake (for me was a glass plate) that only people that do this program get, and it was personalized by Alex, our imagineer. Alex actually came up with the idea and wrote all of the "Imagineering Field Guides" books, currently for MK & EPCOT - he said AK is coming out soon.

Alex Wright is a show designer for WDI. Which he says he creates a lot of the concept art for everything from trashcans to attractions. He said he's helped out a lot with the design of the Monster's Inc. attraction at MK.

Again, well worth the cost for the experience I had and I will do it again every time I come back to WDW from now on.

Mecha Figment

I agree..I'd love them to do away with diesel buses. Would'nt it be cool if the Tomorrowland Transit Authority took over control of the transportation system of WDW?

yeah but if somebody desides to stand up to scratch their butt, you'll be stuck for 4 hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom