Lots & Lots Of Food Report WITH Pictures First Ever???

OklaHoops

BlackthDot trip

Thank you for the insight of your trip. Your pictures reflect what a great time you had. WE are planning our return and I appreciate your comments at the end so our vacation can avoid those pratfalls.:wave::wave::wave:

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Just wondering how many days you went for and what type of meal plan did you get? I'm trying to plan my honeymoon and want to make sure I'm getting the right plan.
Believe it was 16 days on standard free dining plan, check the trip reports section :wave:

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Thank you for the insight of your trip. Your pictures reflect what a great time you had. WE are planning our return and I appreciate your comments at the end so our vacation can avoid those pratfalls.:wave::wave::wave:

Glad I can help!

WDWFigment

I happened to see a link for this elsewhere and realized I had yet to look at it. For some stupid reason, I decided to open it now. I got about two posts down through before I realized I'd need to eat lunch before reading/viewing the rest. Now the question is whether I should eat an early lunch now, or wait and view it after normal-lunch. Either way, looks like my productivity is dropping off at some point today.

WDWFigment

Alright, finally went through it all after lunch. Despite having eaten prior to reading this, I'm hungry again. Here are some thoughts.
--You had a bad experience at California Grill, plain and simple. It's certainly not the greatest restaurant on earth, but it's really good. I'd say the same to Main Street USA who has had 5 bad experiences at Le Cellier. Both probably are overly hyped, but both are excellent restaurants.
--Sunshine Seasons was top-notch (as always) when we were there in June. I never get gravy, so I can't comment on that. I also have a general rule, and this is a great rule for anyone to follow in life, "never order salmon from a fast-food (counter service) restaurant." Maybe it was good in the past, but ordering fast-food salmon is like juggling flamming swords. Sooner or later you're going to become impaled and/or catch on fire.
--BoardWalk – Tomato mozzarella sandwich looks delicious!
--1900 Park Faire – Ice cream at breakfast; do all of the breakfast places do this? There’s no bad time to eat ice cream.
--Pizzafari – Sandwich looks DELICIOUS!
--Chef Mickeys – dinner there looks really good (for a buffet); I've never seen it look that good!

In general, this thread has me re-thinking our decision to never do the DDP again. Food has been such a fun and important aspect of the trips on which we've used the DDP, and it really is a good value if used correctly.

Also...you really could give The Disney Food Blog a run for its money if you started your own site. Excellent work, man!

Tybee

Okay, so I'm sensing that you really, REALLY like steak, roasted potatoes, and strawberry shortcake. :eek: Nothing wrong with knowing what you like, but I think my tastes align more with your wife's.

But in all seriousness, great thread. You are a man after my own heart with your ceaseless food photography. You got shots of dishes at a couple places we were on the fence about (Tony's, where I will definitely be getting that seafood pasta!) and raised some reservations about others (namely Sci-Fi :veryconfu). I also learned from your photos that items at the bakeries, etc. that are eligible for the DDP snack credit actually have that symbol indicating such. That'll be helpful.

Thanks for the hard work and for lugging that DSLR around (though you might want to lay off the zoom a bit next time...I think I was able to discern the molecular structure of a couple of those steaks!). I'm hoping to pick up a Nikon DSLR before our trip if we can afford it. If so, I'll be putting up similar thread in a few months (actually, I'll probably do that regardless, but the pictures won't be as pretty).

Just wondering if you've ever been to Brown Derby at DHS and had their creme brulee and how it compares? IMHO it's the best I've had anywhere (The World and elsewhere) but would be a great incentive to try WP on my next trip if it's that good!

Creme brulee is quite possibly my favorite dessert, so I take it very seriously. On our last trip (admittedly, eight years ago, so take with a grain of salt), we had it at every WDW restaurant we ate at that offered it (as well as on the Disney Wonder). If I recall correctly, the pistachio version at Jiko was the crowd favorite, with the double vanilla bean version at Brown Derby coming in a close second (I remember the bottom of the dish was almost black with vanilla bean specks -- so good). We had a couple others (I think a chocolate one somewhere), but they were less memorable.

cornandacobb

Okay, so I'm sensing that you really, REALLY like steak, roasted potatoes, and strawberry shortcake. :eek: Nothing wrong with knowing what you like, but I think my tastes align more with your wife's.

But in all seriousness, great thread. You are a man after my own heart with your ceaseless food photography. You got shots of dishes at a couple places we were on the fence about (Tony's, where I will definitely be getting that seafood pasta!) and raised some reservations about others (namely Sci-Fi :veryconfu). I also learned from your photos that items at the bakeries, etc. that are eligible for the DDP snack credit actually have that symbol indicating such. That'll be helpful.

Thanks for the hard work and for lugging that DSLR around (though you might want to lay off the zoom a bit next time...I think I was able to discern the molecular structure of a couple of those steaks!). I'm hoping to pick up a Nikon DSLR before our trip if we can afford it. If so, I'll be putting up similar thread in a few months (actually, I'll probably do that regardless, but the pictures won't be as pretty).

Creme brulee is quite possibly my favorite dessert, so I take it very seriously. On our last trip (admittedly, eight years ago, so take with a grain of salt), we had it at every WDW restaurant we ate at that offered it (as well as on the Disney Wonder). If I recall correctly, the pistachio version at Jiko was the crowd favorite, with the double vanilla bean version at Brown Derby coming in a close second (I remember the bottom of the dish was almost black with vanilla bean specks -- so good). We had a couple others (I think a chocolate one somewhere), but they were less memorable.

Nice avatar.

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

Well I used the zoom so much for different perspectives because most of the stuff we ate people have seen before. A lot of the newer places or things we tried I went back a little further.

I'm glad you enjoyed and I am glad I was able to help someone else narrow down some tough decisions.

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Alright, finally went through it all after lunch. Despite having eaten prior to reading this, I'm hungry again. Here are some thoughts.
--You had a bad experience at California Grill, plain and simple. It's certainly not the greatest restaurant on earth, but it's really good. I'd say the same to Main Street USA who has had 5 bad experiences at Le Cellier. Both probably are overly hyped, but both are excellent restaurants.
--Sunshine Seasons was top-notch (as always) when we were there in June. I never get gravy, so I can't comment on that. I also have a general rule, and this is a great rule for anyone to follow in life, "never order salmon from a fast-food (counter service) restaurant." Maybe it was good in the past, but ordering fast-food salmon is like juggling flamming swords. Sooner or later you're going to become impaled and/or catch on fire.
--BoardWalk – Tomato mozzarella sandwich looks delicious!
--1900 Park Faire – Ice cream at breakfast; do all of the breakfast places do this? There’s no bad time to eat ice cream.
--Pizzafari – Sandwich looks DELICIOUS!
--Chef Mickeys – dinner there looks really good (for a buffet); I've never seen it look that good!

In general, this thread has me re-thinking our decision to never do the DDP again. Food has been such a fun and important aspect of the trips on which we've used the DDP, and it really is a good value if used correctly.

Also...you really could give The Disney Food Blog a run for its money if you started your own site. Excellent work, man!

As for the salmon...This was our/my first time getting the salmon from Seasons Grill and it just being OKAY...Normally it is VERY VERY good. But the WHOLE experience there was a let down this trip besides the desserts of course.

Maybe I will start my own food site! It's seemed to help more than a few people here make some "cut throat" decisions so far!

EvilQueen-T

Everything Pop Food Court

Mom's Night Out Fried Chicken Dinner with Mashed Potatoes, and Cornbread with a huge Cupcake

PopCentury17.jpg

This was something I was really looking forward too. The Chicken was pretty good but the Potatoes and Cornbread were a different story. The Potatoes were just bad like 6 day old microwaved left overs from Easter. The Cornbread tasted like it was made with fish batter. This was just BLAH!

Total Bill $15.10

lol maybe it was icky because it was authentic? my parents got divorced in the late 70s and i can tell you when she started dating we ate a lot of meals that looked and based on your description tasted just like you said. but i think i'll keep my nostalgia to looking at your pic and not letting it pass my lips. aaaahhh the memories of childhood come screaming back with a bang.:hammer:

lbrad

EXCELLENT pics as always!!!
Thank you for sharing.
Can't wait till I can make my ADR's!!!
You have given me A LOT of... FOOD FOR THOUGHT :ROFLOL:

RussJT

Somehow just found this thread. Great pics. Made me hungry. We leave in 48 days. We were lucky to get LeCellier ADRs for our last day (looking forward to the mushroom filet mignon and the pretzel bread) and many others we wanted... Clambake at Cape May, Crystal palace breakfast, Boma dinner, etc.

Go Pens!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom