LOST Disney Attraction Teased by Show Creators

Since1976

Original Poster
The latest LOST Podcast (dated 05/20/07, look it up on iTunes) has showrunners Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof answering a fan's suggestion that they build a LOST attraction at Disneyland (for those of you who don't know, LOST is a Disney property).

They briefly joke about having suggested that Tom Sawyer Island become LOST Island, but after that Damon says in semi-seriousness that some LOST Experience attraction may someday come to fruition. This is totally pie-in-the-sky, for sure, but it sure is exciting to know that they've at least thought of doing something LOST-related at the parks.

Not to get anybody's hopes too high up, but these guys have a tendency to answer fan questions on their podcast which are relevant to some occurence which will soon happen either on the show or *to* the show. Make of that what you will!

I would totally dig a Pirates'-style boat ridethrough or even a Peter Pan-type flythrough of LOST Island.

slappy magoo

No offense to Lost fans (and I am one, still), but I'd have to seriously wonder just how popular a Lost attraction is, not only NOW (were one to magically appear now), but 3 years from now, when the series has its finale.

Granted, WDW is chock full of movie and tv-based properties, stories that have finite endings, but since so much of Lost is either based on a: undefined mysteries eventually being solved and b: the conflicts and tensions between various characters, I don't know how exciting a Lost attraction could be, how much it could immerse the guest, and if the attraction could have "legs" once the mysteries are all solved. When you think about it, there's not all that much action within the series, it's mostly tension and suspense.

Maybe they could rework Stitch's Great Escape, and make you think you're trapped in Dharma with the mist monster and a polar bear... :D Can you input the numbers fast enough?

Since1976

Original Poster
True, the longevity of the series' appeal won't be known for a while. If the finale is bad, any hopes of an attraction are probably going to be dashed. However, based on where the series is now, a ride featuring spooky effects (Smokey, apparitions, whispers) and weather set against a beautiful island backdrop would probably be worth checking out.

wickedfan07

I've never seen "Lost," so I just read the Wikipedia article on it. I'm sure Imagineering could take the basic design of the show and create a long-lasting theme park attraction. The attraction just has to be enough like the show for the show's fans to be familiar with it, but not require that all riders have watched every episode of the show and know the exact story to enjoy the esperience. I don't see why Disney couldn't do this at some point; the basic outline is intriguing and would probably make a great attraction with or without "Lost" references.

As far as being immersive, all you have to do is take a chunk of land, turn it into a seemingly deserted island, slap one of those Kim Possible GPS things they tested last year at Epcot in the Guests' hands and let them go. Weave a story in and there you go. If you let the Guests create their own magic, they might actually come back more than once to see how many different endings there really are. (Nothing is going to make the Guests completely immersed in the plot, short of actually stranding them on a creepy island with secrets and lousy neighbors. But letting them get through the story themselves over a few hours seems like a good start. Plus, the exit leads into a gift shop full of "I LIVED LOST!" t-shirts. )

FigmentJedi

Weren't they planning to do something with the old Discovery Island? Could put it there and have it along the lines of the Myst overlay they were considering putting there.

rbrower

I have never watched LOST because, well, it never really interested me. However, I would like rides based upon some of the other ABC shows! The problem with that is probably that some of those shows aren't aimed at the whole family, which Disney World is.

DigitalDisney

Consider that this could come in any form, from a 3D movie, to a heavily themed thrill ride, to something as simple as an interactive play area

They could easily construct a well-themed interactive play area just about anywhere, and it would be a LOST attraction.

NeedABreak

Let me start by saying: I LOVE LOST. I know people don't really like season 3 all that much but I really do.

Anyway, I think that even when Lost comes to an end a well thought out attraction could still be viable. They would just have to avoid making something based directly on the events of the show and go with something inspired by the spirit of the show. This is why I think the Myst Island idea should be brought back as Lost Island. I would shell out an extra $50 -$100 for a shot at exploring a mysterious lost style island with a small group of fellow tourists. You could say that the island is another island near "The Island" or it could be another island with the same properties that just happens to have sprung up in the middle of bay lake.

And to top it off they could even have a special pin for the tour with the Dharma logo on it.

Man I hope something like this could happen.

fizzle75

Let me start by saying: I LOVE LOST. I know people don't really like season 3 all that much but I really do.

My wife and I love Lost as well! I actually think the 3rd season has been fantastic, especially the past few weeks. Season 2 on the other hand...

As much as I love Lost I just don't think it would translate well to a theme park attraction.

cdunbar

OOOO I can see it now at WDW, they clean up the island in the middle of the seven seas lagoon, urrg forgotten the name, and they drop you off and u have to find your way back...

PLTram

I love Lost too, but I'll side with the other posters who don't believe a Lost attraction would work. Perhaps in the short term, but who's going to care after the series comes to an end in the next few years as has been reported?

Heck, it'd be like having a Muppet attraction 10 years after the show went off the air. :lookaroun

Captain Hank

I doubt that an attraction directly based off of the plot elents would work well. However, it might be possible to focus on an aspect of Lost and expand that into an attraction (much like The Lost Experience online game did with the Hanso Foundation last year). It might just work.

uklad79

Discovery island would best. That way when it gets old they can just close it up. If they stick it in the parks it will get old and just sit their taking up a prime site.

davidpw97

I don't know how well a whole attraction would work either but I do like the idea of using Discovery Island as something Lost based.
But I'd be happy with a walkthrough exhibit similar to what they have with Narnia. Something that isn't permanent and could change with the show. Build a few hatches, have some props from the show. I have also read many Lost critiques that have compared the show to the Star Wars movies because of the way it deals with father issues, the good vs. evil battle, and the power the island seems to have over people being sort of Force like, why not have some sort of Lost element during the Star Wars weekends.

L Fisher

I love LOST and I really like this season because a lot of ?? are getting answered..I would really love it if Disney made a LOST island..If anyone could do it that would be "Disney"..Imagine on the island all of the hatches, boobie traps, "Roger" in a van, and what about "Jacob"?? I can see it now..:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom