Lord of the Rings and more coming to DHS?

Bairstow

I don't buy what you are sellling. If there was any Damage to Star Wars, it was caused by the films after Return of the Jedi. The fact is first 2 movie of the prequel were not exactly what I call Masterpieces compare to what Star Wars was back in the day and the Empire Strikes back.

The first 2 prequels weren't even close to Return of the Jedi in quality.

Well sure; that's what I mean.
I forget who I was responding to but the original comment was that Star Wars' integrity had been compromised by Disney since they bought it.
My point is that the cachet and prestige of the IP was degraded by over-saturation of merchandise and poorly-selected derivative works long before the Disney acquisition.

Stuff like this isn't helping.

Tony Perkis

If that were true then there would be more harry potter merchandise out in the world than there is Pixar. Any toy or department store you walk into usually has almost an entire isle dedicated just to the pixar IPs, where maybe theres 2 or 3 potter things left at this point.

Not saying HP isn't a huge asset, it is...but its not bigger :)

Anecdotal evidence is not the same of empirical statistics. Disney's very friendly contract with Wal-Mart, compared to that of WB's, should not be the entire story.

No film in the Pixar canon has grossed more than the highest grossing HP film. No Pixar film has the benefit of book sales, which, for HP, are bible-level impressive.

Hell, no Pixar attraction at any Disney park has ever attracted the crowd that WWOHP, Phase 1 did. We've all seen those Day 1 lines.

The only two IPs in Pixar's canon that compete with Potter on a sales level are Toy Story and Cars (for some reason, beyond my comprehension, Cars is the biggest selling Pixar IP, despite producing 1 mediocre film and another outright awful film).

Potter is still immensely profitable, and judging by the fact that a new film series in the HP universe written by Rowling is on the way, I don't see it slowing down much at all.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
And this is why I can't understand the franchise's popularity. That character is nails on a chalkboard and caters to the lowest common denominator (or youngest kids). The Larry the Cable Guy show is why the Cars series is, in my eyes, a black eye on Pixar's record.
IMHO Wall-e is a black eye on Pixar much more than Cars.

Tony Perkis

Yes, it is a masterpiece in art and style. Its a horrid political rag.
Happy Feet is horrid political rag. Wall-E has issues once the the humans are introduced into the film, and it does mostly involve the heavy-handed political subtext, but at the end of the day, Wall-E never had a character say "Git er done", while Cars did.

At the end of the day, they all bow to the greatness that is The Incredibles.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I sometimes feel that Harry Potter has an unfair advantage of being created in the Technology world versus Star wars which was created in the 70s and Marvel heroes which were created in the 30s/40 and even earlier. Could you imagine the public reaction if these pieces originally came out in the last 15 year? Would it have the same reaction as Potter? I think it would have a better reaction. The reason Potter was so popular and is still popular is that it was My generations! We remember it releasing and growing up with books coming out. Also the advent of technology and the hype that follows and the interconnectionity that follows plays a great part of supporting that fan base. Something superheros and star wars didn't have during there time.

misterID

And Disney probably agrees with you. Hence why it could be a huge bargaining chip for Disney to get the Marvel rights back from Universal.

I don't think there's a licensing agreement that allows IP "trading." And there's no way UNI is letting go of Marvel. Maybe if they handed over the WDW resort to Comcast, I don't see it benefiting UNI. And WDW is still making coin off the merch at UNI. It's win win in that aspect. Building a Marvel ride isn't that important to TDC.

Tony Perkis

I don't think there's a licensing agreement that allows IP "trading." And there's no way UNI is letting go of Marvel. Maybe if they handed over the WDW resort to Comcast, I don't see it benefiting UNI. And WDW is still making coin off the merch at UNI. It's win win in that aspect. Building a Marvel ride isn't that important to TDC.
I'm sure there's also a Mr. Burns level of enthusiasm by Comcast to let TWDC build and further popularize the brand while IOA is awarded increasing merchandising interest and sales at USF & IOA.

NowInc

Anecdotal evidence is not the same of empirical statistics. Disney's very friendly contract with Wal-Mart, compared to that of WB's, should not be the entire story.

No film in the Pixar canon has grossed more than the highest grossing HP film. No Pixar film has the benefit of book sales, which, for HP, are bible-level impressive.

Hell, no Pixar attraction at any Disney park has ever attracted the crowd that WWOHP, Phase 1 did. We've all seen those Day 1 lines.

The only two IPs in Pixar's canon that compete with Potter on a sales level are Toy Story and Cars (for some reason, beyond my comprehension, Cars is the biggest selling Pixar IP, despite producing 1 mediocre film and another outright awful film).

Potter is still immensely profitable, and judging by the fact that a new film series in the HP universe written by Rowling is on the way, I don't see it slowing down much at all.

I based my statements off of this:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=family&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc

shows many pixar movies grossing higher than potter ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom