Lord of the Rings and more coming to DHS?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't think there's a licensing agreement that allows IP "trading." And there's no way UNI is letting go of Marvel. Maybe if they handed over the WDW resort to Comcast, I don't see it benefiting UNI. And WDW is still making coin off the merch at UNI. It's win win in that aspect. Building a Marvel ride isn't that important to TDC.
But it still makes an interesting argument, which is why I brought it up.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So, I've not followed this thread closely in quite a while, but I thought it interesting to see this news start actually popping up outside of the standard "Disney" websites. A Nerd/Pop culture website picked up the story this morning:
http://nerdbastards.com/2013/10/16/...lord-of-the-rings-into-theme-park-attraction/

No real content there, I know, but I always find it interesting when news starts to make it out of the Disney-geek sphere into the larger world.

Bairstow

So, I've not followed this thread closely in quite a while, but I thought it interesting to see this news start actually popping up outside of the standard "Disney" websites. A Nerd/Pop culture website picked up the story this morning:
http://nerdbastards.com/2013/10/16/...lord-of-the-rings-into-theme-park-attraction/

No real content there, I know, but I always find it interesting when news starts to make it out of the Disney-geek sphere into the larger world.

News sources are saying that Disney has been chatting with Warner Bros. about the possibility for nearly a year now.

...which if you follow the links back from blog to blog to blog, eventually leads you here:

http://.com/rumor-disney-and-warner-brothers-to-bring-the-lord-of-the-rings-to-disney-parks/

21st Century journalism at its finest.

Ignohippo

You are seriously going to use WalMart as a gauge on how popular something is? YIKES! Besides, I never sasid Star Wars is NOT a giant...I said it was not as strong a brand as it once was.

Do me a favor...take a class. Flooding the market with cheap toys and crap does not necessarily strengthen a brand. In fact the Star Wars brand imho has been a little tarnished since being acquired by Disney.

Um, seeing the presence it has in large retailers like WM, TRU and Target are huge indicators of how popular a franchise is. And what "cheap" toys are you talking about? You can make as much merchandise as you want, but retailers won't buy it unless IT SELLS!

It may not be as strong of a brand as it once was, but considering there hasn't been a movie in 15 years, it still has amazingly strong legs. Even without a current movie or tv show, it's still going as strong as almost any other property. Besides the floodgates are just about to open.

How has it been tarnished by Disney!? Besides canceling The Clone Wars, there has been absolutely no change (besides the announcements of things to come).

Funmeister

It may not be as strong of a brand as it once was,

Glad you finally agree with me.

How has it been tarnished by Disney!? Besides canceling The Clone Wars, there has been absolutely no change (besides the announcements of things to come).

Seriously? Closing LucasArts alone was a huge blow to Star Wars. They were creating one of the most anticipated Star Wars games of all time...only to be shuttered.

BTW...sure those stores carry SW merch but I have never seen them completely sell out of any of it except for a few specific items. Then it is off to the sales rack. In fact I challenge you to go visit one of those stores and see for yourself that you will not find completely empty shelves where SW merch was. (Of course only at Christmas but we are talking about the strength of selling the SW brand overall via toys and not the mad Christmas shopping rush....right?)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Since when does caring for the environment have to take a political turn? That film is great in just about every aspect. The fact that there is probably a few words spoken by the main characters and yet the film is still so intriguing shows just how great of a job they did.
When they created the EPA......

Sped2424

When they created the EPA......
So we can draw this to many films in Disney cannon. Beauty and the beast was great, until it took a turn for the political with all the NRA Shaming and stereotypes they did with Gaston. I am all for tarzan, but things got way to political and preachy when they wanted to save those gorillas from being hunted, you know the ASPCA stuff. Do i sound ridiculous? Good. Should we be taking better care of our planet? Of course, I don't think you have to drudge a political point for that to be an effective theme.

Tony Perkis

If anything, it proves just how little actual journalism it takes to publish a story.

NoChesterHester

Since the rights to the movies and books haven't been sold to either theme park company yet, I don't think anyone knows at this point.

I think you hit the real nail on the head here. Acquiring viable theme park rights for Lord of the Rings would likely require a deal for both the use of the IP from the Tolkien Estate and a deal for the likenesses from Peter Jackson's movies. No company would build a Theme Park LOTR that didn't look like the world Jackson brought to life. I would highly doubt that his deal to do the movies included the rights to do theme park attractions.

That complicates the deal quite a bit...

GiveMeTheMusic

Based on what?! You can't even find any Potter merch at any of the big retailers besides Lego sets and DVDs!!!

Spend 10 minutes in any of the many stores at WWOHP and try and add up the total of several transactions. That merch is gold, whether they're selling them at WalMart or not.

In fact, because it's NOT sold at WalMart, people are more apt to buy. It's unique and special.

Disneyhead'71

Based on what?! You can't even find any Potter merch at any of the big retailers besides Lego sets and DVDs!!!
Maybe that's why it has been such a bonanza on sales in the parks? Maybe JK should have licensed an Angry Birds Harry Potter.

angry-birds-star-wars-final.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom