Looks like WORK

jt04

I finally got a chance to scan my old picture of Epcot. I think this was taken sometime in the early 80's. I was around 6 back then.

Great picture. The subdued paint on the supports with additional trees to help hide them. The miirored column and "glass" monoliths all contribute to SE appearing "weightless". Especially at night. They knew what they were doing when they designed the entry plaza. They did indeed!:cool:

(well except for the trash can maybe)

SpenceMan01

I finally got a chance to scan my old picture of Epcot. I think this was taken sometime in the early 80's. I was around 6 back then.

It really makes you see how the wand "weighed down" SSE and also made it seem smaller. Without the wand it is balanced, large and grand.

Thanks for posting that pic!

Figment82

is it my imagination or does the pannels look twice as shinny?

They look so shiny, that the points in the triangles almost look rounded, giving SSE an almost inflated "puffy" appearance - which really adds to that feeling of weightlessness. I love it! I just hope SSE gets a real deep cleaning once the stars are removed.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
They probably are twice as shinny. It has been 20-25 years since that photo was taken and over those years they have accumulated dirt, dust and other stuff without being truly cleaned.
i volunteer my services in pressure washing it. they just need to call me. :p

They look so shiny, that the points in the triangles almost look rounded, giving SSE an almost inflated "puffy" appearance - which really adds to that feeling of weightlessness. I love it! I just hope SSE gets a real deep cleaning once the stars are removed.
yes, yes it does. hopefully a bath is in the plans

TheDisneyMagic

That picture is pure beauty.

I can't wait to see Spaceship Earth looking close to this again, I wonder if they decide to repaint the legs again or whether they will leave the LaL scheme on them.

JML42691

I can't wait to see Spaceship Earth looking close to this again, I wonder if they decide to repaint the legs again or whether they will leave the LaL scheme on them.
I would bet that the fate of the paint on the legs of SSE depends on wether the tombstones get moved or not. If so, then they probably would be repainted, if they are kept were they are, then they would probably stay the same.

Vernonpush

That would depend on if LaL stays where it is for now?

Buzzforprez

The crane was taking too long, so I sent in my GIANT hawk to come in and rip down the rest of the wand with his mighty beak!!!:ROFLOL:

bird1.jpg

BEWARE THE HAWK!!!:lookaroun

Remember, once the wand is gone it is just a set of mouse hands. Maybe this is what the hawk has been waiting for all along?:lol:

head mouse

Aah... what we have lost... :( but what do we stand to gain now? :animwink:

I'm telling you all. They are going to cover SSE with small LCD screens and make it a HUGE video screen like the barge. Why do you think they haven't took the stars down yet. waiting till they get over there with eh LCD's

cupanudles

Actually, I believe the quote was "dive-bombing puff balls". :lol:
(And that's what I'll think of for the rest of my life every time I see a sparrow... Thanks Merf, or whoever coined that phrase...)

They were living in the top of the Leave a Legacy kiosk that was removed from around the mirror column, and for the first couple days they were very ticked off about it. (Hence the dive-bombing). Then they took up residence in these alcoves nearby. There's the uplights that light the underside of SSE, and the two infrared emitters that are for Pal Mickey. (Those are what the birds built their nests behind)

-Rob
If the palm trees were to be put back on the sides of Spaceship
Earth, the birds would have a place to stay!:lookaroun

metscool

Original Poster
Any pics for today? I'm leaving to go to work in about 20 mins and won't be back til 1130 tonight and it would brother me til I get home

mickhyperion

Doesn't Spaceship Earth pretty much get a bath everyday during the afternoon rain shower? I guess maybe that only helps the top half with the rest getting the dirty runoff. I thought I heard during the Undiscovered Future World tour that the tile material doesn't need to be cleaned though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom