Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

lazyboy97o

There is a table in 11B-208.2 that has the minimum number of required accessible parking spaces. I don't know exactly how many spaces are in the current parking structures--but if it is over 1000 spaces, then they are required to provide 20 plus 1 for each 100 (or fraction thereof) over 1000. Then for every six (or fraction of six) out of the total number required accessible parking spaces, at least one should be van accessible (which has slightly different size requirements). Those spaces are also required to be located on the shortest accessible route to an accessible pedestrian entrance of the parking facility (or accessible entrance of the building/facility).
I’m aware. I was asking to see if the person alleging a lack of compliance actually knew.

Old Mouseketeer

Well, it has happened. USCIS has vacated the building in-between the Pumbaa Lot and the new Manchester Lot and there is now a construction fence around it on Manchester. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the revised Eastern Gateway Project now that they have the full, contiguous property. However, I don't expect to see anything proposed this year. Even 2021 is a big "if", considering the uncertainty over the length and severity of the pandemic and specifically when Disneyland will reopen and how long it will operate under reduced capacity. But at least this piece of the puzzle has been filled in.
USCIS 20-06-21.jpeg

Darkbeer1

Look, I can tell you the fence has been up for a few months.

Disney has the right to tear down the structure(s) and grade the land, and can even place asphalt for parking, without the city's permission. Any "improvements" need permits.

Or Disney could remodel the interior for their use, offices, warehouse, etc.

If they want to use it for the Eastern Gateway, of course they can. It would have to be part of the new application for the Eastern Gateway.

I can tell you that the behind the scenes work with the city for a new proposal was halted in mid-March, and like everything else, is in limbo.

Plenty of other issues to deal with.

But for Disney to get the land for park expansion, the Eastern Gateway, in some form has to be built and ready for use (Bridge, Ticket/Security Plaza and Transportation Plaza). Disney knows that, the city knows that, the businesses on Harbor know that.

So now how important is that expansion, and when does that fit on the DLR future planning calendar? Well, I think no one has that answer today.

No big secrets, Disney has shown its hand....

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Look, I can tell you the fence has been up for a few months.

Disney has the right to tear down the structure(s) and grade the land, and can even place asphalt for parking, without the city's permission. Any "improvements" need permits.

Or Disney could remodel the interior for their use, offices, warehouse, etc.

If they want to use it for the Eastern Gateway, of course they can. It would have to be part of the new application for the Eastern Gateway.

I can tell you that the behind the scenes work with the city for a new proposal was halted in mid-March, and like everything else, is in limbo.

Plenty of other issues to deal with.

But for Disney to get the land for park expansion, the Eastern Gateway, in some form has to be built and ready for use (Bridge, Ticket/Security Plaza and Transportation Plaza). Disney knows that, the city knows that, the businesses on Harbor know that.

So now how important is that expansion, and when does that fit on the DLR future planning calendar? Well, I think no one has that answer today.

No big secrets, Disney has shown its hand....
Personally, and while I know this building is smaller, I'd rather them vacate the TDA building and use this building instead. And then use all that land where TDA and parking lot sit as park expansion. So that way along with the EGW both DCA and DL get expansion space.

Nirya

Personally, and while I know this building is smaller, I'd rather them vacate the TDA building and use this building instead. And then use all that land where TDA and parking lot sit as park expansion. So that way along with the EGW both DCA and DL get expansion space.

I get this idea, but I've never understood how this space could realistically be used. The area itself is pretty locked in by existing structures - Toontown would need to build tunnels to get around MMRR/RRCTS/Small World, and the Roundhouse realistically has nowhere else it could be moved to at this point. You could choose to move something else into that area to free up space elsewhere, but the only thing that makes any sort of sense is to shift the parade building to that spot, which would open up a sizeable expansion area for either SWL or ToonTown.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I get this idea, but I've never understood how this space could realistically be used. The area itself is pretty locked in by existing structures - Toontown would need to build tunnels to get around MMRR/RRCTS/Small World, and the Roundhouse realistically has nowhere else it could be moved to at this point. You could choose to move something else into that area to free up space elsewhere, but the only thing that makes any sort of sense is to shift the parade building to that spot, which would open up a sizeable expansion area for either SWL or ToonTown.
The point is once you remove TDA and associated parking structure there is a lot of land to reuse. Move things around and you have large expansion area that can be accessed from GE like you mentioned or even from the west side of TT. There is any number of possibilities once TDA and parking structure is removed.

Darkbeer1

The point is once you remove TDA and associated parking structure there is a lot of land to reuse. Move things around and you have large expansion area that can be accessed from GE like you mentioned or even from the west side of TT. There is any number of possibilities once TDA and parking structure is removed.

And much of that area is in the Fireworks Fallout Zone, which has to be closed down on nights that Fireworks are offered.

So a major issue that has to be addressed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And much of that area is in the Fireworks Fallout Zone, which has to be closed down on nights that Fireworks are offered.

So a major issue that has to be addressed.
Sure, but not impossible. I mean honestly how many decades have we had FL and TT closed for Fireworks. So its not like a great tragedy if it would have to close down during the show. FL manages to reopen nightly, so it is possible to go that route too.

Anyways yes it'd have to be addressed, but again not impossible.

jmuboy

If Disney was able to buy the Majestic hotel and commercial building north of it, would they be able to use the space underneath the 5 overpass to go back and forth? Essential backstage would still be connected while freeing up everything possible behind Toontown/GE

No Doubt that ANY property (like the Majestic) directly across Ball from backstage would be ideal real estate for Disney to grab (for non essential offices, cast parking decks, etc).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If Disney was able to buy the Majestic hotel and commercial building north of it, would they be able to use the space underneath the 5 overpass to go back and forth? Essential backstage would still be connected while freeing up everything possible behind Toontown/GE
I like the idea except for the purchase of the Majestic, I like staying there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom