Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

DLR92

Not possible with the JW Marriott finished.
Oh man! I totally forgot about this hotel. I thought it was canceled. I’m definitely going to book a room there the minute it opens! LOL

Kidding, after this pandemic reaches safe point.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

And much of that area is in the Fireworks Fallout Zone, which has to be closed down on nights that Fireworks are offered.

So a major issue that has to be addressed.
Disney can simply, or not so simply, build attraction buildings that are access through tunnels at Toontown and Galaxy's Edge. It's overdue for Towntown to receive a fallout shelter so it can remain open during a fireworks show. This is how tiny lands can have major attractions, like New Orleans Sq and Critter Country.

Old Mouseketeer

If Disney was able to buy the Majestic hotel and commercial building north of it, would they be able to use the space underneath the 5 overpass to go back and forth? Essential backstage would still be connected while freeing up everything possible behind Toontown/GE

I have thought about the access on the West side of I-5 overpass. However, I suspect the right of way is reserved for I-5 expansion.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
It would bridge two Disney properties together. How big that benefit is depends on how hypothetical/optimistic you’re being
View attachment 480208
If you're referring to Toy Story Parking becoming a third gate, I have zero optimism for that. But let's say they did. How would people park hop? Either walk or take a shuttle bus. There won't be any people movers or moving walkways, and it's highly doubtful they'd expand the monorail, both for cost and the logistics of it in Anaheim's current political climate. So owning Garden Walk property in that sense would only provide a walking path between the parks while staying on Disney property, again, provided the city lets them build multiple pedestrian bridges over public roads. Too much of an optimistic fantasy in my eyes.

Secondly, if you're referring to the Eastern Gateway coming to fruition, then if Toy Story Parking stays, you'd still have to shuttle people from there to the gateway and the Garden Walk property is moot since busses will use Clementine anyway.

Thirdly, there's if BOTH happen. Then I'd see more of a benefit but still would have the park-hopping transportation issues I stated above.

If it's only your goal to blue sky with optimism in mind, enjoy. If you're being realistic, then honestly, I think pigs will fly first, but feel free to change my mind. :)

DLR92

I don’t know if Anahiem still want to cut through Disney toy story parking lot by connecting Convention Way and Gene Autry Way along with completing Clementine St?

Old Mouseketeer

Not possible with the JW Marriott finished.

And GardenWalk isn't a hopeless case. If they can build the second hotel and maybe even the Condos, and if The Anaheim hotel at Harbor and Disney Way builds their new hotel with a skybridge to GardenWalk, they could be back in business with a decent business plan and management. Plus, I think it would be cool if Disney would build or lease land fronting Katella for another hotel across from GardenWalk (a skybridge would be way cool).

socalifornian

If you're referring to Toy Story Parking becoming a third gate, I have zero optimism for that. But let's say they did. How would people park hop? Either walk or take a shuttle bus. There won't be any people movers or moving walkways, and it's highly doubtful they'd expand the monorail, both for cost and the logistics of it in Anaheim's current political climate. So owning Garden Walk property in that sense would only provide a walking path between the parks while staying on Disney property, again, provided the city lets them build multiple pedestrian bridges over public roads. Too much of an optimistic fantasy in my eyes.

Secondly, if you're referring to the Eastern Gateway coming to fruition, then if Toy Story Parking stays, you'd still have to shuttle people from there to the gateway and the Garden Walk property is moot since busses will use Clementine anyway.

Thirdly, there's if BOTH happen. Then I'd see more of a benefit but still would have the park-hopping transportation issues I stated above.

If it's only your goal to blue sky with optimism in mind, enjoy. If you're being realistic, then honestly, I think pigs will fly first, but feel free to change my mind. :)
The only possibility I’ve seen was a potential area for CMs when Disney placed their GardenWalk bid. I imagine the city will renew their interest in getting Gene Autry finished once the Angels property refresh starts becoming more than a diagram

truecoat

Original Poster
I get this idea, but I've never understood how this space could realistically be used. The area itself is pretty locked in by existing structures - Toontown would need to build tunnels to get around MMRR/RRCTS/Small World, and the Roundhouse realistically has nowhere else it could be moved to at this point. You could choose to move something else into that area to free up space elsewhere, but the only thing that makes any sort of sense is to shift the parade building to that spot, which would open up a sizeable expansion area for either SWL or ToonTown.

Old Mouseketeer

Do you actually know what's in any of those buildings? Or what the amortization schedule is for the TDA building, parking structure, and Eat Ticket? What about the massive renovations they just made on the Former Animation and 500 buildings to replace N-19? (Oh yeah, and "Pyro Farm") They have reclaimed better than 90% of what they can from the North Service Area. While it's theoretically possible to squeeze a bit more, it would probably be limited to a third attraction for Galaxy's Edge, and not for at least 10 years. We'll be lucky if they can finish Avenger's Campus and re-skin Splash Mountain. But hey, dream away.

TP2000

Oh man! I totally forgot about this hotel. I thought it was canceled. I’m definitely going to book a room there the minute it opens! LOL

It was finished in early March and was supposed to open in mid March literally at the same time the "temporary two week" Covid lockdowns began.

It has been sitting there empty and unopened for about four months now. This is how it looked two months ago, and it hasn't changed. The silver SUV in the driveway was occupied by a single security guard, as is apparently the custom now with all the many closed hotels in the Anaheim Resort District guarded by a single $15 an hour security guard sitting alone in his car...

IMG_0387.JPG

Darkbeer1

It was finished in early March and was supposed to open in mid March literally at the same time the "temporary two week" Covid lockdowns began.

It has been sitting there empty and unopened for about four months now. This is how it looked two months ago, and it hasn't changed. The silver SUV in the driveway was occupied by a single security guard, as is apparently the custom now with all the many closed hotels in the Anaheim Resort District guarded by a single $15 an hour security guard sitting alone in his car...

View attachment 480971

Sigh, a S.O.A.R. event was going to happen Thursday Night, right when the shutdown happened.....

And hasn't been rescheduled, YET!

DLR92

Sigh, a S.O.A.R. event was going to happen Thursday Night, right when the shutdown happened.....

And hasn't been rescheduled, YET!
Not even a virtual meeting? My city and my realtor association club are doing virtual meeting since the pandemic started. Only safe way to communicate for now.

DLR92

View attachment 480971
Thank god It about time there a JW Marriot in Anaheim! It beautiful on the outside!

SuddenStorm

View attachment 480971

I might have to stay here with my associate rate once the park is up and running while I get my last Splash rides in...

Darkbeer1

Not even a virtual meeting? My city and my realtor association club are doing virtual meeting since the pandemic started. Only safe way to communicate for now.

No, on March 12th, the first event in the Hotel before opening, was a fancy Rooftop event and tour was scheduled, but on the morning of the 12th, got this notice.

>>Dear Friends: In light of CDC recommendations against large gatherings, we will POSTPONE this evening's event at the JW Marriott. We apologize for the inconvenience. <<

Basically, it was just about to open, when the stuff hit the fan.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Do you actually know what's in any of those buildings? Or what the amortization schedule is for the TDA building, parking structure, and Eat Ticket? What about the massive renovations they just made on the Former Animation and 500 buildings to replace N-19? (Oh yeah, and "Pyro Farm") They have reclaimed better than 90% of what they can from the North Service Area. While it's theoretically possible to squeeze a bit more, it would probably be limited to a third attraction for Galaxy's Edge, and not for at least 10 years. We'll be lucky if they can finish Avenger's Campus and re-skin Splash Mountain. But hey, dream away.
I remember when you said they couldn't relocate any of the buildings back stage prior to GE, and then again prior to MMRR. And yet here we are post-GE and construction started on MMRR, all former backstage areas you said were impossible or improbable to relocate.

I know you have some inside knowledge based on your relationships with former and current CMs, but never say never. If Disney is motivated they will relocate any one of those buildings for expansion space. They appear to have no issue inconveniencing CMs in order to expand. And I fully expect the same in the future.

So given the recent changes to DLR over the last couple years anything is possible. I suspect Disney has any number of plans sitting there waiting for the right time which includes relocation of everyone of those backstage areas, including TDA if needed. Which BTW may include going underground, where BOH ends up being under new FOH attraction areas. Actually I'm not sure why Disney hasn't done more of that in recent years at DLR.

Anyways, just my opinion which I'm sure you'll jump all over. ;) :cool:

Ismael Flores

Thank god It about time there a JW Marriot in Anaheim! It beautiful on the outside!

i wouldn't exactly call it beautiful LOL like every new hotel in Anaheim it is a brown boxy building.
Still think that they made a mistake of not looking back at some of the original hotel designs for the area. The original designs had the hotels integrated with the mall by adding outdoor patios and pool areas over the roof tops of garden walk. It gave clientelle direct access to the eateries and shops. It sure would have helped the mall as well

Darkbeer1

i wouldn't exactly call it beautiful LOL like every new hotel in Anaheim it is a brown boxy building.
Still think that they made a mistake of not looking back at some of the original hotel designs for the area. The original designs had the hotels integrated with the mall by adding outdoor patios and pool areas over the roof tops of garden walk. It gave clientelle direct access to the eateries and shops. It sure would have helped the mall as well

The JW Marriott has a set of large doors on the second level that open into the mall. In fact, the nearest location to that entrance is an upscale restaurant, Huckleberry's, scheduled to open when the Hotel opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom