Trip Report Loco goes to Hollywood!

Hello once again my friends. It’s finally time for another TR from yours truly(it’s been over a year since the last one)! This one will be a bit different, since we travelled to Southern California rather than our usual destination of WDW. We packed a lot into one week, and I’m happy to share here with you fine people. Let’s get started shall we?

Day one

We had a fairly early flight out of Dallas. I had enough points for us to get a hotel room the night before so we didn’t have to feel rushed getting over there(it’s about a two hour drive).

We spent the evening before departure playing top golf. We were going to be joined by some friends of ours, but some issues arose and they were unable to join us. We still had fun!

Such grace. Such power.
IMG_2036.jpeg

The wife who is a new golfer.
IMG_0694.jpeg

Our plan of getting a good nights rest before our flight was not to be. It wasn’t that we were too excited to sleep. Far from it actually, as the hot night of hitting golf balls had really taken it out of us. No the reason we couldn’t sleep was because the hotel was having issues with the fire alarm, and it went off every two hours. The entire night. Without fail.

On the plus side we were quite close to love field airport. Our arrival and boarding process all went smoothly and we departed right on time.

A bit of a shock to the system going from 98 degrees and humid the day before to 65 and cloudy! I wasn’t complaining!
IMG_0698.jpeg

After a bit of trouble getting my phone to work I was finally able to get an Uber ordered and we made it to Anaheim without any major traffic problems.

Because we had to make some pretty big changes to our original plans, we actually ended up staying at the Hyatt Place by the convention center for a few nights before going on property at DLR. I don’t have any photos, but the rooms here are very spacious and well appointed, and a nice breakfast is included. It’s a bit of a walk to Disneyland, but it is directly across from the Toy Story parking lot, so we just walked over to that shuttle and security checkpoint. It was actually faster to get to the parks from there than at our room at Disneyland Hotel! I’d recommend the Hyatt to anyone looking to save some money, but still wanting a nice place to stay.

Anyways, we got checked in and the hotel had a room available early for us. We got settled in our room and caught a little nap before heading over to downtown Disney to grab a bite to eat.
IMG_2269.jpeg

We had lunch out on the balcony at Ballast Point. I ordered the fish tacos and A had a burger. We both enjoyed the meal and the people watching from up on the patio.
IMG_0706.jpeg

Downtown Disney had a few displays for Pixar Fest.
IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg

This is the large piece located on the promenade between the two parks.
IMG_0701.jpeg

We spent the afternoon checking out the resorts on property and trying to stay awake. I swear I had pictures from that afternoon, but my phone says otherwise. Nonetheless, we were in our room pretty early and called it a night around 9 PM despite our best offorts to stay awake.

Up Next : A day of fun in Orange County.

Last edited:

Loco_driver

Original Poster
What better time to test the fire alarms than 2am? 😁 Looking forward to this!

giphy.gif
Yes. Midnight, 2 AM, 4 Am, and 6 AM!

Lets Go Yes GIF by Caroline - The Happy Sensitive

Yeah for another Loco family trip!
It feels like it’s been forever since our last trip. Our last few vacations have been cruise/non-disney trips. It’s nice to able to share a trip again!

Last edited:

Loco_driver

Original Poster
Day three.

Time to get to the main attraction, right? We were up early and hailed an Uber for the short ride over to DLR. we dropped our luggage off and visited with the front desk to get an issue with our online check in resolved. Gotta love Disney IT!

There are some unique seating options in the lobby, which is located in the fantasyland tower.
IMG_0801.jpeg

We enjoyed the quiet grounds while grabbing a quick breakfast at tangaroa terrace.
IMG_2416.jpeg

We had a relatively short wait in line at security and at the gate. Soon we were passing under the railroad!
IMG_2417.jpeg

There’s a castle in this picture I promise. I am a sucker for the DL main street. It really does feel like a small town Main Street.
IMG_0803.jpeg

We weren’t too far back from the ropes at RD. This momma duck was doing a great job of keeping an eye on her babies.
IMG_2428.jpeg

I guess you could say she really……has her ducks in a row.
IMG_2426.jpeg

Our tickets include genie plus(highly recommended for DLR, not so much for WDW), so at RD we headed to fantasyland, since those rides are not included with G+. First stop was a walk on Snow White.
IMG_0808.jpeg

A classic that was nicely updated not too long ago.
IMG_0807.jpeg

Usually we’d do Pinocchio after Snow White, but it was not quite up and running. We headed to Toad Hall instead to learn a valuable lesson about drinking and driving.
IMG_0809.jpeg

After our wild ride Pinocchio was up and running. We followed the fake dapper dans to the entrance and waited only a few minutes for our ride.
IMG_0810.jpeg

Loco_driver

Original Poster
Haha, fake dapper dans! They are the Pearly Band and Mary Poppins and Bert are often with them. And I agree, Genie+ is so much better at Disneyland than WDW. I don’t know why it can’t be as good at WDW.
Haha yes that’s the name! They were with Bert.

Hahaha. Why is it such a shock to the system every time?
I always think I've prepared myself for the tiny castle and every time - I'm shocked. 😂
Every single time! Don’t get me wrong, I do like the castle, I’m just used to the massive castle at WDW!

For some reason Alice in Wonderland is my favorite ride in fantasyland. Must be the outside part of the ride that gets me.
We love the Alice in Wonderland ride! Alice was down that morning too, or we would’ve probably gone to that one first.

Loco_driver

Original Poster
Day three.

We continued our fantasyland tour with a ride on the Matterhorn. This attraction was closed for refurbishment on our first trip, so it was new for us. The line wasn’t as long as this picture suggest. We waited maybe five minutes.
IMG_0811.jpeg

I was prepared to take a beating after hearing so many stories about how rough this thing was. Surprisingly neither of us found it to be all that bad. Not smooth, but no worse than space mountain at WDW.
IMG_0813.jpeg

It was time for our first LL return of the day in Adventureland so that was our next destination. I love that Disneyland runs all of the mainstreet vehicles and trolleys for most of the day.
IMG_0814.jpeg

Before using our LL on Indiana Jones, we couldn’t resist a walk-on ride on the world famous Jungle Cruise!
IMG_0819.jpeg

Skipper Maya was our guide, and she had a very dry since of humor, which apparently only we appreciated.
IMG_0816.jpeg

The rest of the boat seemed disinterested. To be fair though, I don’t think most of them spoke English as their first language, so the humor may have been lost on them.
IMG_0818.jpeg

After our cruise it was time for Indy! This is the only photo I have since the queue is quite dark and there no way I’d try to hold my phone during the ride portion! Easily a top tier attraction even if some of the effects aren’t working(I’m no expert so I couldn’t tell)!
IMG_0820.jpeg

I’d made another LL reservation after we tapped in at Indiana Jones, so it was back over towards Toon Town for us. We saw Moana hanging out by herself over by small world, so we stopped to say hi and grab a selfie!
IMG_0821.jpeg

Last edited:

Loco_driver

Original Poster
Day three continued.

We took another detour on the road to Toon Town. Another absolute favorite.
IMG_2429.jpeg

The difference in quality between the east coast and west coast version of small world is astounding.
IMG_0823.jpeg

The original version blows the Florida version out of the water!
IMG_2430.jpeg

A fitting photo for that day.
IMG_0827.jpeg

June gloom was still in full effect this morning. It seemed to help keep some of the crowds away!
IMG_2432.jpeg

All smiles at the end of the ride.
IMG_2434.jpeg

Eventually we’d make it into Toon Town. LL number two was for Roger Rabbit. Another first for us, as it was closed for the Toon Town refresh during our previous trip. It’s a fun little ride!
IMG_0828.jpeg

MMRR was showing a 15 minute wait. We hopped in line to check out the fairly elaborate queue.
IMG_0829.jpeg

The queue is filled with tons of nods to Mickey as well as other Disney classic cartoons!
IMG_0830.jpeg

And it has a tribute to potatoland!
IMG_2437.jpeg

We enjoyed the ride like always. There are a few slight differences from the WDW version, but nothing I’d consider major.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom