Location and name of Cat Cora's new restaurant

markjohns1

ive never eaten at spoodles to be honest, but im wondering now, why didnt they just send her down to DTD?

supposedly landry's is going under (taking two MONSTER DTD restaurants maybe), west side is in shambles, they crushed PI, so why again not try to revitilize DTD with some cat cora flavor?
This is total conjecture, but maybe Spoodles is moving to DTD. The article only indicates that Kouzzina "is scheduled to open by fall 2009 in the space currently occupied by Spoodles." Obviously that means Spoodles is closing in that location, but doesn't rule out Spoodles moving somewhere else. Again, this is likely a case of reading too much into the wording, and I have zero legitimate information, but I suppose the possibility is there.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Given that the excuse for dumbing down the menu at Spoodles was the claim that guests didnt like such adventurous fayre Im not sure what possible excitement Rauslo is talking about. Unless he means that the financial risks will not be Disneys.

Brian_WDW74

Why are people assuming that the pizza window will close? Nowhere does it say that in the press release. All it says is that the new restaurant will "showcase Mediterranean cuisine." Last time I checked, Italy was on the Mediterranean. :animwink:

The "Pro"

I had Thanksgiving Dinner at Spoodles last year and thought it was the best buffet I had ever had on property. My waiter told me that they had 4 executive chefs from other restaurants working there that day. Looks like I'll need a new spot for Thanksgiving.

I also had heard that the pizza window was run separately and wasn't part of Spoodles. Not sure if that is accurate. Maybe the pizza window will stay?

lpet11984

I love Spoodles as much as anyone (was my first restaurant experience on WDW property), but I can't help but be really excited about this...the fiance and I are big food network fans and Cat Cora is just awesome. We are definitely looking forward to making this restaurant his first restaurant on WDW property when we go sometime in the next couple years.

jakeman

Why are people assuming that the pizza window will close? Nowhere does it say that in the press release. All it says is that the new restaurant will "showcase Mediterranean cuisine." Last time I checked, Italy was on the Mediterranean. :animwink:
YOU! Get out of this thread with your logic...and your rational deductions...

You have no place here! :animwink:

Missing20K

Am I the only one tired of the "celebrity chef restaurant concept?" :shrug:

Couldn't it just have been Kouzzina? Not Kouzzina by Cat Cora? Nothing against her or any of the celebrity chefs who run restaurants. I'm sure the food is still delicious, could just do without the "the food must be good because Mr.(s). TV chefs owns it" marketing. Would the food be any better or worse if the "by Cat Cora" was absent?

Though I do hope the food is good, I am a foodie and the menu concept does sound interesting. I'll give her credit where due. Disney definitely needed some Greek and Eastern Mediterranean food options.

My assumption is it's to help pull in customers to a new, otherwise unknown restaurant, by using the name of a fairly well-known American TV chef. She gets her name and "brand" more visibility, Disney uses her popularity to drive business.

I suppose it does make sense, I just personally could do without the third party theming.

Would have been a better fit in Vegas, even DTD, maybe. It's already a mix of Disney and real life. The Boardwalk, with the exception of ESPN, which is a Disney property, does not have any "real world" disturbances in it's theme, and in my opinion this would create the first.

bhg469

Honestly the pizza is edible at Spoodles but that is about it. Not much flavor at all.

No kidding, there is a huge lack of good pizza down south. I pity you poor folks :( Up here there is no less than 10 really amazing pizza places, that why pappa johns can't open up shop here. That and no one can make a decent chicken wing to save their lives for some reason.

Dizknee_Phreek

You do have a good point. It did not say the window would close. BUT it also did not say it would stay open, which I assumed it would have pointed out if it was staying open. SO...I guess that means it has a 50/50 chance.

I also had heard that the pizza window was run separately and wasn't part of Spoodles. Not sure if that is accurate. Maybe the pizza window will stay?

I did not know this! I certainly hope it's true. If it is, that gives the window a much better chance of staying open and not changing. However, if the pizza IS "Spoodles" pizza, it doesn't mean the window WILL close...but the pizza more than likely would change to a Cat Cora recipe. Seeing as I've never even heard of Cat Cora until this point, I have no idea if that would be a good change or a bad one. Guess we'll see.

goodtimes5286

Landry's isn't going under. Just going to close the underperforming restaurants. The WDW ones obviously are not those.
Yeah I dont know too much about it just hearing the word bankruptcy thats all. But your right the WDW ones are SOOO crouded, I wouldnt be shocked if there revenue could make up for all the other resturants! I havent been to any of the 3 (RC RC n Trex) that I go to and NOT seen a croud. Thank GOD I have a safari card :p

GrumpyFan

We've always enjoyed Spoodles, although not quite as much over the last few years as they've shrunken the menu. It's still good and worthy of a visit, but not exactly on the top of our list.

I'll be interested to see kind of changes Cat Cora brings to the "new" restaurant. From what I know about her, watching Food Network, she seems like the kind of chef I would enjoy, so hopefully she brings that same flair to Disney.

WDW1974

I wonder if they're going to make her dumb down her menu to a choice of six entrees (one beef, one chicken, one salmon, one veggie and a couple of others) or have her put a $23 hamburger on the menu when Disney offers its DDP for free.

I don't mind losing Spoodles since it in no way resembles the terrific location it once was with loads of tapas and numerous choices. And since they dropped serving lunch (one of the best values at WDW) years ago, I have tended to dine there only once every few years anyway.

So ... let's see what Cat has in store.

~I love kitties!~

Missing20K

I wonder if they're going to make her dumb down her menu to a choice of six entrees (one beef, one chicken, one salmon, one veggie and a couple of others) or have her put a $23 hamburger on the menu when Disney offers its DDP for free.

I don't mind losing Spoodles since it in no way resembles the terrific location it once was with loads of tapas and numerous choices. And since they dropped serving lunch (one of the best values at WDW) years ago, I have tended to dine there only once every few years anyway.

So ... let's see what Cat has in store.

~I love kitties!~

Would you really expect anything different though? New restaurant, new name, new chef, new food, same Disney prices? :shrug:

rocketscientist

I think it is funny that they had to bring in the new guy for Iron Chef so Cora would not be the only one who has a lousy record.

Hey, 'new guy' Michael Symon has the best record right now on ICA. Check out the wikipedia page, if its updated right (and I think it is) he's got the best win/loss stat at 83.3%, and Cora at 56.5% is actually beating Morimoto who's at 50%.

I was an Iron Chef America fan living in Cleveland who'd been to Michael Symon's restaurants before he made it on the show (and after!), so we're real proud of him up here. And he's whuppin'! :sohappy:

That said, I'm looking forward to Cora's place. She makes some interesting stuff on that show. I have to imagine that it won't be as crazy at this place by cost and sheer necessity, but someone who fuses Greek and Southern influences probably won't make a dry burger with american cheese.

Ps: I went and checked, for completeness, that stat didn't include his two fights before he was an official Iron Chef. Including those (another win and loss) brings him to 77.3%, second only to Batali who's record as an Iron Chef is nipping at Symon's heels.

SoccerMickey

Even though I love restaurants, I don't consider myself a foodie but I am embarrassed to say that I have never heard of this woman. I agree that Spoodles has slipped in quality over the years but I think their breakfast is still good so I welcome this change from a reputible celebrity chef and anxiously await what it has to offer.

goodtimes5286

Hey, 'new guy' Michael Symon has the best record right now on ICA. Check out the wikipedia page, if its updated right (and I think it is) he's got the best win/loss stat at 83.3%, and Cora at 56.5% is actually beating Morimoto who's at 50%.

I was an Iron Chef America fan living in Cleveland who'd been to Michael Symon's restaurants before he made it on the show (and after!), so we're real proud of him up here. And he's whuppin'! :sohappy:

That said, I'm looking forward to Cora's place. She makes some interesting stuff on that show. I have to imagine that it won't be as crazy at this place by cost and sheer necessity, but someone who fuses Greek and Southern influences probably won't make a dry burger with american cheese.

Ps: I went and checked, for completeness, that stat didn't include his two fights before he was an official Iron Chef. Including those (another win and loss) brings him to 77.3%, second only to Batali who's record as an Iron Chef is nipping at Symon's heels.

how is morimoto THAT low, hes my fave and I remember him at one time having an 8-4 record. he must be on one hell of a losing streak, maybe with the economy morimotos isnt doing so well and so he's preoccupied :shrug:. In the origonal he was a baller though, i still remember them doing a 30 minute overtime and him taking it.....if they only still did overtimes id actually tune in.....

as for cat cora getting picked i think it was the perfect one, bobby flay is over used and he comes off as real arrogant to me, mario batalli doesnt strike me as anything special, and morimoto is too specialized and creates too sophisticated of food, he would have to take over V&A's or something, she seams really down to earth even on a show like that making simple food work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom