Living Seas is not the world's largest aquarium anymore

MickeyTigg

nyfrenchy said:
sad... sad... The new Atlanta aquarium beats Epcot by 600,000 gallons.

Walt would never have let this happen....it's Eisner's fault for being cheap....oh...he didn't build LS....that's beside the point...it's his fault anyway....oh...he's not in charge anymore?

:lookaroun

Well...it's his fault anyway.

TheDisneyMagic

Ahh we can't be doing with this, we will have to let the pavillion reopen and then close it down and extent the tanks for another 700 gallons. :D

carolina_yankee

Size of single tank, or total capacity?

I wondered about this when I heard the story this morning on NPR. I thought Epcot had the single largest tank in the world, not necessasrily the largest aquarium capacity overall. Can anyone verify?

The story I heard was comparing the Atlanta place to Chatanooga.

Dirk

Since1976

The Living Seas may have been the biggest, but it certainly wasn't the best.

In terms of interesting exhibits, other aquariums around the country had TLS beat even before it opened.

Mecha Figment

since i've been watching the aquarium being built for the past year...

The atlanta aquarium.. is the largest in size and in it's volume of water... as well as animal species. We have freaking whale sharks people.. that rocks!

although they did put it in the most dangerous crime ridden section of the city.. thanks to the great mayor .

Hurricane

technoarch said:
the reef is concrete.

I have done divequest twice and they mentioned that fact both times.

agreed, it doesn't even look like real coral -- also notable is the absence of small pieces of living coral, polyps, etc -- is the water quality too poor or the flow too low to maintain fragile coral?

TheOneVader

Atlanta may have the biggest aquarium, but last time I checked you can't go to the Atlanta aquarium, then go next door and ride Soarin', then ride Journey Into Your Imagination, then Test Track, then Mission: Space, then Ellen's Energy Adventure, and then go travel the world. Therefore, Epcot > Atlanta Aquarium. :p :D

Hurricane said:
agreed, it doesn't even look like real coral -- also notable is the absence of small pieces of living coral, polyps, etc -- is the water quality too poor or the flow too low to maintain fragile coral?

No, the coral could survice BUT the tank is not that large compared to the amount of visitors and sealife in the tank. Someone or something would eventually hit the coral and damage it.

Scooter

Atlanta has lots of distictions...including having one of the highest crimes rates in the country...

...I'll stick to the Living Seas thank you very much.:sohappy:

Buried20KLeague

Mecha Figment said:
oh i forgot.. they have beluga whales too.:sohappy:

I actually saw a story that the beluga whales were taken from an amusement park in Mexico that didn't want to take care of them anymore. From what I saw they were literally directly underneath a wooden roller coaster... They even had to remove part of the coaster to get the belugas out. Not the most peaceful and natural environment, that's for certain.

brkgnews

I got into the GA aquarium media day back on Saturday. It is truly unbelieveable. I'm not going to sit back and argue over which one is better -- I love them both.

brkgnews

Buried20KLeague said:
I actually saw a story that the beluga whales were taken from an amusement park in Mexico that didn't want to take care of them anymore. From what I saw they were literally directly underneath a wooden roller coaster... They even had to remove part of the coaster to get the belugas out. Not the most peaceful and natural environment, that's for certain.

Yep -- to clarify, it wasn't just that they got sick of dealing with them. The amusement park went under new ownership and thankfully the new owner realized that this was NOT a good situation for the animals, so he agreed to let the GA aquarium get them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom