Living Seas is not the world's largest aquarium anymore

Epcot82Guy

brkgnews said:
I got into the GA aquarium media day back on Saturday. It is truly unbelieveable. I'm not going to sit back and argue over which one is better -- I love them both.

I agree. I (obviously) am a huge fan of TLS and all of Epcot, but being a soon-to-be Atlanta resident, this aquarium is going to be HUGE (both literally and figuratively). I'm glad to have the opportunity to experience both since they really are two totally different attractions.

Gucci65

The Georgia Aquarium is awesome!!! I went Monday, if you are ever in Atlanta take the time to stop & see it. Ralph and Norton (the whale sharks) are a site to behold. The beluga whales are complete hams!!

Atlanta CAN be a dangerous place to be late at night and in the wrong section. This is NOT a dangerious section to be in. It is near Centennial Park, the CNN Center and Phillips Arena. Who will be going to see fish late at night? I live 30 miles NE of Atlanta and frequent the downtown area quite often for concerts, sporting events, the zoo and broadway shows that come to town. Now it will include a trip to the aquarium since I have an AP. Don't scare people away by saying it's a crime infested area.

Okay, off the soapbox. Now if Bernie could only figure out how to put Mission Space next door we will be set :lol:

peter11435

TiggerRPh said:
Walt would never have let this happen....it's Eisner's fault for being cheap....oh...he didn't build LS....that's beside the point...it's his fault anyway....oh...he's not in charge anymore?

:lookaroun

Well...it's his fault anyway.
Actually the Living Seas was built while Eisner was in charge.

Gucci65

Just found out that one of the high schools in our County is having their prom in March instead of May. Guess where they are having it at???????

Guess there will be fish viewing at night after all.

Mecha Figment

centenial olypic park. bomb!

Grant park where zoo atlanta is.. is a high rape attack area.

and that whole area is infested with vagrants.

durring the day it is okay.. but when the sun starts to go down you better run.

coasterphil

Grant Park isn't anywhere near the aquarium, and the Olympic bombing is a totally different situation. The location it is in is probably the best spot in terms of safety.

Woody13

technoarch said:
No, the coral could survice BUT the tank is not that large compared to the amount of visitors and sealife in the tank. Someone or something would eventually hit the coral and damage it.
It is illegal to take live coral from its natural environment. We wouldn't want WDW to violate federal law.

brkgnews

Woody13 said:
It is illegal to take live coral from its natural environment. We wouldn't want WDW to violate federal law.
Neat story here about how Atlanta was able to leagally (and ethically) do it. The took a series of small pumice stones and suspended them over a living reef. In time, the same critters that make up the regular reef had also begun to inhabit the "blanks" that aquarium folks had suspended over the real one. They could then remove the artifically-based, but quite real, coral from the area without damaging the real reef. A very cool idea that's also enviro-friendly.

Woody13

brkgnews said:
Neat story here about how Atlanta was able to leagally (and ethically) do it. The took a series of small pumice stones and suspended them over a living reef. In time, the same critters that make up the regular reef had also begun to inhabit the "blanks" that aquarium folks had suspended over the real one. They could then remove the artifically-based, but quite real, coral from the area without damaging the real reef. A very cool idea that's also enviro-friendly.
Yes, I saw that too. It's a great idea! :wave:

pinkrose

My kids have been so excited about this aquarium since they started building it. I'm going to take them during Christmas holidays (we live 2.5 hrs away from Atlanta).

The area that the aquarium is in is very safe. When I go over there sometimes for longer than just one day, that's the area in which I stay in. I have no problem with walking around at night.

EpcotServo

Well, they screwed up Seabase Alpha so, It's not too big of a surprise. With all this non-Hydrolator Blue room no theme Seabase goin' on, It'll be very rare to see myself going into this hollow shell of a great pavilon.

mickeysaver

Mecha Figment said:
since i've been watching the aquarium being built for the past year...

The atlanta aquarium.. is the largest in size and in it's volume of water... as well as animal species. We have freaking whale sharks people.. that rocks!

although they did put it in the most dangerous crime ridden section of the city.. thanks to the great mayor .

Oh, but don't forget, Mayor Franklin had the no panhandling ordinance implemented. So, now it's not dangerous at all. :hammer:

I am looking forward to seeing the aquarium. I think the exhibits should be great. We plan on buying season passes, but we want a little of the new to wear off first. I think they said the first 5 days were complete sell outs. Maggie

mickeysaver

TheOneVader said:
Atlanta may have the biggest aquarium, but last time I checked you can't go to the Atlanta aquarium, then go next door and ride Soarin', then ride Journey Into Your Imagination, then Test Track, then Mission: Space, then Ellen's Energy Adventure, and then go travel the world. Therefore, Epcot > Atlanta Aquarium. :p :D

EPCOT>The Atlanta Aquarium, yeah, I will give you that. The World of Coca-Cola and Underground Atlanta, and Centennial Park, just don't cause me as much excitement as EPCOT. But, the Living Seas<The Atlanta Aquarium, if we are just comparing apples to apples. Maggie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom