LIVE UPDATES: D23 Expo - WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS Presentation 6:30pm EDT

MissMorrow

Nothing new is getting announced on October 1st. I am willing to put money down on that.

It will be a small event like they did for Epcot's 25th.

I'm with you. While Oct 1st would be a somewhat logical date to announce something, I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment this time. I'm going to expect absolutely zero from them.

Crockett

Banned
That's what I'm afraid of: Too many of us getting back our high hopes, only moving them to 10/01/11. And then ending up right back where we are tonight.

Captain Chaos

This is exactly my problem with presentations like today. When they're a failure, Disney fans start making excuses for how Disney is actually really great and we are all overreacting.

Ummm...No. Disney messed up, and, as paying and extremely loyal customers (maybe too loyal), we have the right to have certain high expectations. With the rising cost of travel, and the rise of the costs of the actual tickets required for entrance, we expect to have new experiences that make us excited about how disney world is always changing.

I certainly support the new fantasyland expansion, and it looks fantastic. However, I can't help but wonder why the Magic Kingdom, the world's most popular theme park and arguably the fullest (Attraction-wise) in florida, is receiving such a major upgrade when every other park could use that money. I know people will argue that it's wonderful that the Magic Kingdom is getting a facelift, and I agree, but, Disney should fill in the missing pieces before building new experiences they'll just have to maintain later.

If you keep adding, you can't maintain what you already have.

(Now I've gone off on another tangent) My original point, and why I quoted your comment, is that I fear that if we always put so much emphasis on these new presentations, we'll be disappointed. I think it's okay to accept that disney world is not seeing a lot of love until the end of this decade, when they'll be prepping the 50th anniversary.

Let me be clear: when I say adding, I mean expansions, not new attractions within the park that take the place of old ones.

Hey rant all you want... I agree 100% with you...

Captain Chaos

That's what I'm afraid of: Too many of us getting back our high hopes, only moving them to 10/01/11. And then ending up right back where we are tonight.

Let me be frank.. (insert HELLO FRANK joke here...)

I don't mean to say they are or are planning to announce anything that date... i was trying to play devil's advocate here and say, maybe they decided October 1, the 40th anniversay of WDW would be a better place to make that announcement... Not saying I am counting on them doing it...

jmani56

Why is everyone hating on Lou Mongello? That guy lives the dream, and sue him for not being negative.

Also I agree that WDW is the flagship property and should receive more attention (esp Epcot and AK), but we are still getting a huge expansion and that will get me by for now. Epcot better be next though!

WeLComeHomE OKW

Why is everyone hating on Lou Mongello? That guy lives the dream, and sue him for not being negative.

I think people are just joking around because Lou has a tendency of being overly positive. He's a good guy, and I think people are just messing around about the fact that this presentation was a total failure, yet he still found the positive in it. That's all. No biggie.

_Scar

Also I agree that WDW is the flagship property and should receive more attention (esp Epcot and AK), but we are still getting a huge expansion and that will get me by for now. Epcot better be next though!

And you're happy with 1 expansion in 1 park over the course of, what, 4 years?

You must be very easy to please then :shrug:

CJR

The event was probably still fun for the Disney fanboys, which is really what it's for.

However, if you paid a few hundred dollars to go to Southern California, wouldn't you rather be at Disneyland enjoying the parks rather than in a big room talking about them? It's like Disney is charging people to sit in on their board meetings.

Nothing they showed today actually required being at the Expo since it was all immediately posted online right after. It's all nice, but not worth the time and money to be there in person. That's my opinion. I would rather just enjoy the parks and read about the news when I get home.

Disney has to learn that when you do an event like this the people attending the event aren't casual guests and expect something worthwhile. These are the most loyal customers Disney has and you do not want to disappoint them.

And you're happy with 1 expansion in 1 park over the course of, what, 4 years?
Also, how many of those four years did we see a ticket price increase? And how many years after it opens will we see a ticket price increase? This is the biggest problem I have with the current TDO. They raise prices each year and if we're lucky ONE addition in ONE of the parks. AK hasn't had anything new since Finding Nemo/Everest, but it's not the same price now it was then to get in. Actually, Everest was better back then.

Captain Chaos

Appreciate the support. So, who is arranging the wdwmagic pitch fork-wielding meet up?

It has already started:

500x_custom_1279603353670_frankenstein_mob.jpg

Lee

Adventurer
Nothing new is getting announced on October 1st. I am willing to put money down on that.

It will be a small event like they did for Epcot's 25th.

Yes. This.
Do not expect anything to be announced on the 40th.

Disney doesn't see the 40th as a big deal, same thing as with the 35th...the 30th...the 20th...etc.
I'd bet on it being smaller than Epcot's 25th, since that was an actual milestone (and even then one that would have been mostly overlooked were it not for some of our resident Epcot fans...).

NoChesterHester

So what IS in active development?

Can anyone confirm 30 minutes was actually cut from the presentation.

I am not one of the angry ones. I understand it however. If I paid thousands to get to SoCal for this event only to get a flashy presentation that regurgitated the Parks and Resorts Exhibition that was already plastered online by everyone I'd be furious.

Me... just sitting in the comfort of my home watching the twitter hate unfold.

bjlc57

well Lee.. its time for some insider to be honest with us.. and just say, hey , you remember what Disney was like 10 years ago.. well that's what its going to be like 10 years from now..

where are those photos from the abandoned theme park in New Orleans? that's the new "annoucement".. AK , you have been abandoned..

MGM,, abandoned..

EPCOT.. abandoned..

MK well you have a new ride.. so you are the only remaining "Disney" park from the Old ownership... oh and don't expect a mono rail ride.. its all buses all the time from now on..

LEE tell us that I am wrong. Tell us that some one at Disney Company actually cares.. or isn't a bean counter..

TELL US IT ISN"T SO.. because every day it looks more and more like it is..

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
well Lee.. its time for some insider to be honest with us.. and just say, hey , you remember what Disney was like 10 years ago.. well that's what its going to be like 10 years from now..

where are those photos from the abandoned theme park in New Orleans? that's the new "annoucement".. AK , you have been abandoned..

MGM,, abandoned..

EPCOT.. abandoned..

MK well you have a new ride.. so you are the only remaining "Disney" park from the Old ownership... oh and don't expect a mono rail ride.. its all buses all the time from now on..

LEE tell us that I am wrong. Tell us that some one at Disney Company actually cares.. or isn't a bean counter..

TELL US IT ISN"T SO.. because every day it looks more and more like it is..

Take a deep breath and step away from the ledge. It will be alright.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Take a deep breath and step away from the ledge. It will be alright.

While this is somewhat funny or some kind of clever winking sympathetic comment, I think its important to realize that there are alot of fans out there who spend a lot of time on these boards and thinking about disney.

Reality isn't always the most fun, and this community and disney world in general provides an outlet for us. So, from the outside, this looks like crazy fans dramatically reacting to theme parks not being updated. It is more than that, and we are disappointed that the people running the company are only doing enough to keep disney world profitable.

I would also like to hear Lee's take on the state of Disney World. Maybe another blog post?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom