LIVE UPDATES: D23 Expo - WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS Presentation 6:30pm EDT

LudwigVonDrake

I am entirely clueless about what they are doing at DTD, and not because of a lack of trying.

As for HW...I don't think that name is still being used...
At least I haven't heard it in months.:shrug:

Lee, when you are given info how current is it? Do you get what's being worked on at that moment or is there a lag of a month or more? Thanks :wave:

TP2000

Kudos to Tom for making the statement. It may not have much substance, but at least he was aware of the complaints. Good man.

I heartily agree. The statement said nothing really, but it was a very important nothing that needed to be said.

Tom Staggs is a good guy in my book.

And after reading some of the criticism here that he lacked warmth and was too animatronic during his Parks & Resorts presentation, I was scratching my head when I finally watched a good YouTube version of it last night. :veryconfu

I actually thought Tom did great in that hour long presentation!

Was he David Letterman, mastering the comedy timing and the audience mood to brilliant effect? No. (Although his video of doing CM roles in the parks was pretty funny for a top exec, and nearly Letterman-esque) Was he some FABULOUS! male go-go dancer commanding the stage with his talent and making love to the audience? No. He was just a regular type guy in a sport coat who is in charge of a big division of a very famous company, and he was just telling us what's going on with that division. I thought he came off natural and genuinely keyed in to what he was talking about.

If I had to stand on a stage in front of 4,000 people with a spotlight on me for an hour, I think I would have done far, far worse than Tom did.

Captain Neo

I heartily agree. The statement said nothing really, but it was a very important nothing that needed to be said.

And after reading some of the criticism here that he lacked warmth and was too animatronic during his Parks & Resorts presentation, I was scratching my head when I finally watched a good YouTube version of it last night. :veryconfu

Was he David Letterman, mastering the comedy timing and the audience mood to brilliant effect? No. (Although his video of doing CM roles in the parks was pretty funny for a top exec, and nearly Letterman-esque) Was he some FABULOUS! male go-go dancer commanding the stage with his talent and making love to the audience? No. He was just a regular type guy in a sport coat who is in charge of a big division of a very famous company, and he was just telling us what's going on with that division. I thought he came off natural and genuinely keyed in to what he was talking about.

If I had to stand on a stage in front of 4,000 people with a spotlight on me for an hour, I think I would have done far, far worse than Tom did.

Compared to Jay Rasolu. He wasn't anywhere near as energetic or exciting. Go back and watch Rasolu's D23 presentation to see what I'm talking about.

TP2000

Compared to Jay Rasolu. He wasn't anywhere near as energetic or exciting. Go back and watch Rasolu's D23 presentation to see what I'm talking about.

I remember Rasulo, and I've seen him speak in person. I thought Rasulo was more fake and just obviously reading his script and pretending to care at the '09 Expo.

I've seen Staggs in Disneyland riding the rides with his boys several times over the last few years. I never once saw Jay Rasulo at Disneyland, and online insiders have stated he really had no interest in the theme parks, which is now obvious. But Rasulo could fake it and read his script every year or two.

jt04

I remember Rasulo, and I've seen him speak in person. I thought Rasulo was more fake and just obviously reading his script and pretending to care at the '09 Expo.

I've seen Staggs in Disneyland riding the rides with his boys several times over the last few years. I never once saw Jay Rasulo at Disneyland, and online insiders have stated he really had no interest in the theme parks, which is now obvious. But Rasulo could fake it and read his script every year or two.

Please. :rolleyes:

It was a night and day difference. Possibly because Jay had some really exciting stuff to announce. I am just curious why you feel the need to defend this year's D23 so vehemently. Are you personally involved or have a stake in the take the average person has?

Blue Sky Disney has a comprehensive critique on how it went and it is not good news. He claims a VP lost their job and others could be following. He was very disappointed and he is the first to promote Disney if he thinks they get it right. And he is also from that area.

If wdw74 was still around he would accuse you of a pixie dust overdose.:dazzle:

LINK http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2011/08/lessons-unlearned.html

Captain Chaos

Have to totally disagree... Tom showed no personality.. None... he was dull and boring... Joe Rhode was the only one who had any sort of excitement in his words and he wasn't even there live... If anyone suffered from insomnia, the Friday night presentation was the cure...

TP2000

Please. :rolleyes:

It was a night and day difference. Possibly because Jay had some really exciting stuff to announce. I am just curious why you feel the need to defend this year's D23 so vehemently. Are you personally involved or have a stake in the take the average person has?

Well, perhaps it's easier to see through Rasulo's fake caring shtick when you consider the legit and truly big stuff he was announcing at D23 in '09.

This YouTube video of Rasulo in '09 still cracks me up every time not because of how Rasulo is fake emoting, but how the woman in the audience near the videographer is nearly passing out with excitement over the meet n' greets and arts n' crafts concepts of the original New Fantasyland. Check out the lady sighing and nearly passing out at the 4:20 mark here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m3luLCPtS0 "Ooooohhh. Aaahhhh. Oohhh-Myyyy-Gaaawd!" Quick, someone get smelling salts to Row 18! :lol:

I wonder how that lady reacted when Staggs cancelled that stuff a year later and replaced it with a seven dwarves mine coaster? :cool:

As for my "personal stake" in D23, I'm not a member of that rather useless fan club, and this year my investment in D23 amounts to the 47 dollar one-day ticket I bought for the Expo. I think the last D23 Magazine I bought at Disneyland was back in 2010 sometime. I was going to collect each one, but then I stopped after about the third issue. :shrug:

See my criticism of their crowd control and capacity issues in other threads here for some honest feedback on what MUST be improved on for future D23 Expo's.

jt04

I have a different take. I think he is not a rah-rah cheerleader type but is attempting his best to live up to the magnitude of what he is announcing. As for the lady, I think she represents many fans who are silently dissapointed they did not keep the original look of the FLE. I think most here who like the mine train are not representative and Disney probably underestimates the number who are still cynical about the chages.

I do think they have addressed a lot of concerns. Depends on what exactly Dumbo's Birthday Circus in Starland turns out to actually be and whether, when all is said and done, the dwarf mountain does or does not end up looking like a landscaped landfill outside of Cleveland.:lol: It still needs something. Perhaps a forced perspective chateau or something. But I admit I don't hate the concept like I once did. Although I am still not sure the FLE changes were for the best. I hope they prove me wrong.

And when the uninformed find out that the original Snow White ride is gone only when they actually walk up to the building there will be issues. :eek:

lebeau

And when the uninformed find out that the original Snow White ride is gone only when they actually walk up to the building there will be issues. :eek:

I'd be very surprised if anyone other than enthusiasts will miss it. Tourists will only approach the building if their intent is to visit the princesses. It's not like there is going to be an empty building there reminding everyone of the out-dated dark ride that used to occupy the space.

kapeman

I might be too much of a "Spend, spend, spend!" guy in that I long for unrealistically large expansions, but it doesn't take much to realize that Disney is doing less work with more money. Wizarding World of Harry Potter is estimated to have cost Universal $200 million or so. By comparison, what appears to be, at best, an equal expansion (in reality, I can't see it matching WWoHP, but we'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now), clocking in at $300 million.

Disney's problems appear to be that they are over-cautious with investments (I mean, is it really that unclear that even a couple C-Tickets at Animal Kingdom would make a world of a difference?) and reckless spending. Fix the accounting problem, and they will be able to get a lot more bang for their buck.

The issues are a whole lot more complicated to address than I make it sound like, but if the Disney executives are really that great, they should be able to do something.

I could not agree more!

If they would stress being more cost efficient, they could get more done, which would mean we would get more.

And by that I mean, cost efficient when it comes to projects, not wages.

We have all heard how any TWDC project hemorrhages money. Get a little tighter with the cost controls. It would be a win for everyone.

CJR

I'm just happy that Staggs listens to us. It's nice to see an executive that cares about the guests. This statement builds my confidence up a little in terms of the wellfare of TWDC.

misterID

More miceage negativity if you ask me, just once Id like to see them give a Disney World article a positive title, its been awhile.

Huh? Kevin's articles are positive. I will never understand the thinking that everything needs to be painted in glowing details and problems need to be ignored, when there are things that need to be fixed. :rolleyes:

TP2000

Have to totally disagree... Tom showed no personality.. None... he was dull and boring... Joe Rhode was the only one who had any sort of excitement in his words and he wasn't even there live... If anyone suffered from insomnia, the Friday night presentation was the cure...

Miceage has a really nice update today of Tom's entire Parks & Resorts presentation, with all the fly-through videos of New Fantasyland and the 7 Dwarves Mine Train, along with the other stuff Tom talked about.

Be warned however, these bloggers also thought Tom came off as "genuine" and even "warm and witty". :eek:

But it's still a fun look at all the amazing artwork and visuals Tom presented on the stage last weekend at D23 Expo. http://micechat.com/blogs/dateline-...ney-studios-disney-legends-archives-more.html

Captain Chaos

Miceage has a really nice update today of Tom's entire Parks & Resorts presentation, with all the fly-through videos of New Fantasyland and the 7 Dwarves Mine Train, along with the other stuff Tom talked about.

Be warned however, these bloggers also thought Tom came off as "genuine" and even "warm and witty". :eek:

But it's still a fun look at all the amazing artwork and visuals Tom presented on the stage last weekend at D23 Expo. http://micechat.com/blogs/dateline-...ney-studios-disney-legends-archives-more.html

They must have been high on the pixie dust because he came off very dull, lifeless, boring, and like I said, could help an insomniac fall asleep...

Of course, the pixie dust brigade will say anyone who has anything negative to say about Disney that their opinion doesn't matter and they are wrong... So, what else is new... the P.D.B. defending a lackluster presentation.. Wudda thunk it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom