Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

erasure fan1

I did see the usual YouTubers complain about Peacemaker being woke in the beginning but when it was too popular for the message to take off they backed away…they are selective about their woke content…
I did see it pointed out but I didn't really see any all out bashing of the show. And I think what you are saying points to the big elephant in the room for Disney. And that's, make a great product and most of this noise goes away.

DisneyHead123

I’m trying to get away from the contentious discourse that surrounds this topic and refocus our attention on the films themselves. Has anyone here who has actually watched one of the movies in question felt excluded by it? If so, in what specific way(s)? The claim is repeatedly made that Disney is alienating its traditional fanbase, yet no-one seems willing or able to describe how they have personally experienced such alienation while watching Disney’s recent output.
Disclaimer: I’m not saying I approve of this dynamic, just analyzing it.

I think the issue at this point is that things that, ideally, should be seen as innocuous and “middle ground” (spotlighting marginalized groups on the Left; patriotism and being ok with Christians being Christian on the Right) are viewed as tribal / political allegiance signifiers these days. People see it as a banner reading “This Movie Is For Democrats / Republicans!!!”, and then feel alienated by that. How we got to that mental place is another conversation that would be a deep dive into politics and comment deletion, so I won’t attempt to muse about it. But, regardless, here we are. Everything is seen, whether justified or not, as an implicit statement of political loyalty (as I’ve said elsewhere, though, I think The Summer Of Barbie might represent a reversal in that trend.)

LittleBuford

Disclaimer: I’m not saying I approve of this dynamic, just analyzing it.

I think the issue at this point is that things that, ideally, should be seen as innocuous and “middle ground” (spotlighting marginalized groups on the Left; patriotism and being ok with Christians being Christian on the Right) are viewed as tribal / political allegiance signifiers these days. People see it as a banner reading “This Movie Is For Democrats / Republicans!!!”, and then feel alienated by that. How we got to that mental place is another conversation that would be a deep dive into politics and comment deletion, so I won’t attempt to muse about it. But, regardless, here we are. Everything is seen, whether justified or not, as an implicit statement of political loyalty (as I’ve said elsewhere, though, I think The Summer Of Barbie might represent a reversal in that trend.)
Again, I’m looking to get away from the debates surrounding the movies and asking people to speak specifically to their own, firsthand experience of recent Disney films they’ve watched. So far, no-one has responded.

TP2000

Again, I’m looking to get away from the debates surrounding the movies and asking people to speak specifically to their own, firsthand experience of recent Disney films they’ve watched. So far, no-one has responded.

So, just to confirm.... You are asking those among us here who are the many American parents who refused to take their children to recent Disney movies, to talk about their firsthand experience with a movie they did not see? 🧐

AdventureHasAName

The last Disney film (not Marvel, not Lucasfilm) I've seen was Jungle Cruise and I thought it was pretty good. Of course, I also thought the Lone Ranger was as good as the PotC movies, so what do I know? Before that it was Mary Poppins Returns (which was fine, but utterly forgettable) and Wreck It Ralph 2 (which was great). I stay away from movies I know I'm not going to like.

LittleBuford

The last Disney film (not Marvel, not Lucasfilm) I've seen was Jungle Cruise and I thought it was pretty good. Of course, I also thought the Lone Ranger was as good as the PotC movies, so what do I know? Before that it was Mary Poppins Returns (which was fine, but utterly forgettable) and Wreck It Ralph 2 (which was great). I stay away from movies I know I'm not going to like.
Thank you for your response.

LSLS

I’m trying to get away from the contentious discourse that surrounds this topic and refocus our attention on the films themselves. Has anyone here who has actually watched one of the movies in question felt excluded by it? If so, in what specific way(s)? The claim is repeatedly made that Disney is alienating its traditional fanbase, yet no-one seems willing or able to describe how they have personally experienced such alienation while watching Disney’s recent output.

Personally? I don't think so, other than I really hate these live action remakes, so I'm just not seeing them. But, I also have never heard anyone complain that the original movies made them feel alienated either. Again, I think the issue for Disney has been they are creating too large a group of people who don't want to see it. Now it's not just people like me who just don't like these remakes, now you've got people upset that you are changing the original while keeping the title, and people upset at what they see as attacks on the original movies, and people who just are angry with all things Disney at this point.

Monkee Girl

I have no idea what you mean by that, but it is certainly not my opinion. I actually love seeing diverse Disney movies. I wish they would find some African or Indian or Korean, etc fairy tales and adapt them and have more diverse characters. I don't want to see them take older movies and change existing characters though.
There are soooooo many stories Disney hasn't even touched yet and they refuse to do them. It's insane. And they keep rehashing what seems like the same 10 stories. Bearskin, coat of many colors, snow white and rose red, brother and sister.

I love faery tales and watch many of them. Heck, I just went through 3 Cannon films this weekend. So it's not a matter of not liking other versions of stories. I WISH Disney had used the live actions to do different versions of their tales. Why did the Little Mermaid have to be a weak remake of the cartoon and tick fans off? Sell them nostalgia then subvert their expectations and make them mad While also shoe horning the creative team into a narrow box when they could have chosen to do a story more based on the original book; maybe slightly darker in tone than the original giving us new characters and something new to experience. And they could have used the morals in that book to coincide with the modern sensibilities of today. Ariel does NOT end up with the prince in that story after all. There's no point in me watching the live action 'frame by frame' remake when the superior cartoon exists. It just comes off lazy and unartistic.

That's why Cinderella is the superior 'Disney Princess' live action remake for me. It was different. Still paid some homage to the original but allowed the director the creative freedom to expand where he wanted and because people KNEW it wasn't a direct remake, they were more open to changes. and it felt fresh and exciting. I have yet to feel that way about any of the other remakes and it's a shame.

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

What I’m saying is that I think the surrounding debate is the issue though. Imagine a member of a marginalized group on the Left watching a documentary made by Fox News entitled “Love For Jesus and America”. Even though those should be topics everyone can agree on (whether you’re Christian or not Jesus’s message was compassion and acceptance, even if we have criticisms we should love our country if we’re living in it.) the context surrounding such topics is what people react to. Similarly, I don’t know that it’s specific content in Disney movies that causes feelings of alienation, it’s the sense that Disney is making a statement about their political loyalties. Again, I think it’s sad that this is where we’re at, but if I’m trying to understand people’s perspective, that’s my theory.

DKampy

That's why Cinderella is the superior 'Disney Princess' live action remake for me. It was different. Still paid some homage to the original but allowed the director the creative freedom to expand where he wanted and because people KNEW it wasn't a direct remake, they were more open to changes. and it felt fresh and exciting. I have yet to feel that way about any of the other remakes and it's a shame.
This was The Little Mermaid but people mad because Ariel’s pigmentation was different

Tha Realest

I mean, intersex people exist. They are born that way and they probably deserve some representation onscreen. Not sure Snow White is the best place for it, but I wouldn't object to one of Snow White's seven companions being intersex.
I hope this view prevails, and one of the magical creatures is intersex.

Californian Elitist

Personally? I don't think so, other than I really hate these live action remakes, so I'm just not seeing them. But, I also have never heard anyone complain that the original movies made them feel alienated either. Again, I think the issue for Disney has been they are creating too large a group of people who don't want to see it. Now it's not just people like me who just don't like these remakes, now you've got people upset that you are changing the original while keeping the title, and people upset at what they see as attacks on the original movies, and people who just are angry with all things Disney at this point.
As much as I loved Disney movies as a kid, I actually did feel alienated by some of them, specifically the princess movies. I didn’t see any Disney princess that looked like me until 2009 with PatF; I was 17. I actually briefly touched on this in an essay I submitted to Disney for a writing competition I don’t know how many years ago. The prompt asked contestants if they could have been a part of the making of any Disney movie, which one would they choose. I wrote about my experiences as a little black girl watching Disney movies with lots of white main characters, but no black ones, until PatF. I chose PatF and wrote about how I would have loved to have contributed to adding pieces of the black experience to the movie, adding pieces of the culture. I was runner-up in the competition and I didn’t know it until I received a prize in the mail with a note from Disney, congratulating me.

Again, Disney is NOT changing the original animated films. The only animated film I can think of on the top of my head that’s been changed is Fantasia. Why some of you keep saying this, I don’t know.

Casper Gutman

Fixed your post
Every live-action version of an animated character looks and sounds entirely different from their animated counterpart, most obviously because one is INK and PAINT and one is FLESH and BLOOD. The differences are infinite, but their is only one particular difference that causes outrage, one that people define as “changing the original.”

Oh, and it’s incredibly important not to confuse PATRIOTISM and NATIONALISM. They are profoundly different concepts.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Every live-action version of an animated character looks and sounds entirely different from their animated counterpart, most obviously because one is INK and PAINT and one is FLESH and BLOOD. The differences are infinite, but their is only one particular difference that causes outrage, one that people define as “changing the original.”

Oh, and it’s incredibly important not to confuse PATRIOTISM and NATIONALISM. They are profoundly different concepts.
It’s also incredibly important to not confuse smart decisions vs dumb ones that will effect the movies performance and profits but Disney hasn’t figured that out

LittleBuford

What I’m saying is that I think the surrounding debate is the issue though. Imagine a member of a marginalized group on the Left watching a documentary made by Fox News entitled “Love For Jesus and America”. Even though those should be topics everyone can agree on (whether you’re Christian or not Jesus’s message was compassion and acceptance, even if we have criticisms we should love our country if we’re living in it.) the context surrounding such topics is what people react to. Similarly, I don’t know that it’s specific content in Disney movies that causes feelings of alienation, it’s the sense that Disney is making a statement about their political loyalties. Again, I think it’s sad that this is where we’re at, but if I’m trying to understand people’s perspective, that’s my theory.
I fully agree with you, which is why I’m trying to ask people to look beyond the feelings aroused by the topic and reflect instead on their firsthand experience of the films themselves. These discussions have become so ideologically overdetermined that the movies in question are barely talked about. I think another approach could be more fruitful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom