Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

BuddyThomas

It was really a mistake getting Zegler. She is too much of an unlikeable big mouth. She has rubbed every true Snow White fan the wrong way with her comments. And like always with Disney (...lately) they aren't staying true to the original Disney version.
Uhhh, she happens to be playing the lead in the new Hunger Games movie that comes out on November 17. She's not exactly chopped liver. And why should Disney "stay true" to the original? The original already exists for people to go back and watch? Why make the exact same movie all over again., That is ridiculous. There is no reason to remake any movie until you are going to bring something new to the table.

BuddyThomas

That's the problem, many people are.

Disney has lost over $650 Million at the box office so far in 2023. And your answer is to tell the audience to stay home? 🤔
No I'm telling people who are so closed minded that they want an exact duplicate of an original film and who cannot handle new ideas and who judge an entire film that is probably not even completed yet based on one single photo to stay home. They can stay home and stare at a blank wall. Maybe that will be a nice safe space for them.

Vegas Disney Fan

That's the problem, many people are.

Disney has lost over $650 Million at the box office so far in 2023. And your answer is to tell the audience to stay home? 🤔
This seems to be Disneys new business model, make the movies the Hollywood echo chamber want rather than what the world wants, then blame the world for being ists and obes while congratulating themselves on how progressive they are.

The irony is a lack of diversity (in mindset) is dooming Disney.

Disstevefan1

This seems to be Disneys new business model, make the movies the Hollywood echo chamber want rather than what the world wants, then blame the world for being ists and fobes while congratulating themselves on how progressive they are.

Trophy.png

BuddyThomas

This seems to be Disneys new business model, make the movies the Hollywood echo chamber want rather than what the world wants, then blame the world for being ists and obes while congratulating themselves on how progressive they are.

Nah. Disney is not doomed. And people who can’t handle their movies have all sorts of entertainment to choose from elsewhere instead.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

In another post, you interpret Disney’s current underperformance as part of a predictable and recurring cycle, so I’m somewhat surprised to see you take such a stance here. Moreover, how does this framing explain the failure of Haunted Mansion, which, if I remember correctly, you said you really enjoyed?

Vegas Disney Fan

In another post, you interpret Disney’s current underperformance as part of a predictable and recurring cycle, so I’m somewhat surprised to see you take such a stance here. Moreover, how does this framing explain the failure of Haunted Mansion, which, if I remember correctly, you said you really enjoyed?
I think their current difficulties are multi faceted…

I’d place D+ as culprit #1.

Why pay when I can see it for “free” in a couple months? Had HM not been “free” on my cruise I would have waited for D+.

#2 is quality, they are putting out movies that just aren’t must see, the alternating good/bad decade dilemma, which I still don’t get, between Star Wars and Marvel the teens was a never ending list of must see in the theater movies, the post Covid 20s hasn’t had that quality.

I think people have lost faith in Disney, rather than giving them the benefit of the doubt and just going they are waiting and it’s hurting the bottom line.

LittleBuford

I think their current difficulties are multi faceted…

I’d place D+ as culprit #1.

Why pay when I can see it for “free” in a couple months? Had HM not been “free” on my cruise I would have waited for D+.

#2 is quality, they are putting out movies that just aren’t must see, the alternating good/bad decade dilemma, which I still don’t get, between Star Wars and Marvel the teens was a never ending list of must see in the theater movies, the post Covid 20s hasn’t had that quality.

I think people have lost faith in Disney, rather than giving them the benefit of the doubt and just going they are waiting and it’s hurting the bottom line.
If Disney+ and quality are the main issues, why did your previous post frame the situation in ideological terms?

ParkPeeker

Yea how does “ideology” really fit into all this, or changing the characters? how would you explain Barbie, ideologically it’s left leaning.

And then we have Mario, in which Peach is very much a “strong woman” and different from her helpless origins. and no one gave a crap, made a bunch of money.

LittleBuford

Yea how does “ideology” really fit into all this, or changing the characters? how would you explain Barbie, ideologically it’s left leaning.

And then we have Mario, in which Peach is very much a “strong woman” and different from her helpless origins. and no one gave a crap, made a bunch of money.
Disney is held to an entirely different standard. Case in point: Greta Gerwig’s involvement in Snow White seems to mean nothing to those who loved Barbie but are determined to hate what Disney’s doing. An opinion has already been formed, and everything must be made to conform to it.

Tha Realest

No I'm telling people who are so closed minded that they want an exact duplicate of an original film and who cannot handle new ideas and who judge an entire film that is probably not even completed yet based on one single photo to stay home. They can stay home and stare at a blank wall. Maybe that will be a nice safe space for them.
You seem very aligned with the creatives at Disney, so it’s no wonder audiences feel repulsed and are acting accordingly.

TP2000

But they didn't rewrite the Barbie story for the movie. They simply told the Barbie story we all know for the movie.

Barbie has been an independent woman who can be anything she wants to be for over 50 years now, and always look fabulous doing it. It was part of her own character arc, if you will, during her first 15 years on the market from 1959 to 1974. There was a huge amount of social change from '59 to '74, and Barbie changed right along with the rest of America. That is her story.

And it's a story that's over 50 years old now, nothing new or earth-shattering about it in the Barbie movie.

From what we have been told about this remake of Snow White from official Disney sources, they have changed her story.

ParkPeeker

But they didn't rewrite the Barbie story for the movie. They simply told the Barbie story we all know for the movie.
I should’ve been more clear. I’m not talking about Barbie when I said that, I’m talking about Peach, which is why I’d didn’t even mention Barbie being different than her origin, just that the film is left leaning.

Tha Realest

I should’ve been more clear. I’m not talking about Barbie when I said that, I’m talking about Peach, which is why I’d didn’t even mention Barbie being different, just that the film is left leaning.
If you think Peach hasn’t previously been presented as a “strong woman” then you have long played the games over the last decade.

TP2000

I should’ve been more clear. I’m not talking about Barbie when I said that, I’m talking about Peach, which is why I’d didn’t even mention Barbie being different, just that the film is left leaning.

If by "left leaning" you mean that Barbie isn't only allowed to be a nurse or a stewardess like she was in 1962, then yes.

But by the 1970's Barbie could be a doctor or the airplane pilot, too. That's not "left leaning", it's just reality. At least it hasn't been "left leaning" since at least 1980. The Barbie in the Barbie movie is very mainstream, while also poking a bit of fun at everyone on both sides of the spectrum. And still looking fabulous while she does it.

Warner's didn't change Barbie for their movie. But Disney appears to have changed Snow White for their movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom