Soul
Raya and the Last Dragon
Luca
Encanto
Turning Red
Lightyear
Strange World
Elemental

Disney doesn't seem to want to show romance between a man and a woman anymore. Unless it's an animal or something non human. Turning Red is the only one I can think of recently and it wasn't exactly romance.

Why discount non-humans? They're stand-ins for humans. That's how animation often works, and we're talking about animation studios, right?

So, you shouldn't be discounting Elemental or The Lion King.

You're also missing the heterosexual romance/marriages in Encanto (Mario!), Frozen (Anna and Kristof), Incredibles, Inside Out (the parents, and the short about Casey's first date).

Also, you shouldn't be discounting Homosexual romances, either. That is the very definition of discrimination. Or is it only romance if it's man-woman?

DKampy

But what about the part where Prince Eric saves Ariel from Ursula? And then draws away the eels? What did you think about that scene?

I’m not even sure what you mean about the second part. Didn’t you think all the additional screen time showing the relationship between Prince Eric and Ariel was to show how they were in love? What did you think about her reaction when Scuttlebutt told her that Prince Eric was under a spell?

I’m interested to know how two people who saw the same movie came to such diametrically opposed conclusions.
I am guessing they did not see the movie… because I can not see how you jump to those assessments otherwise

donaldtoo

Wow.
All of you here, no matter what side you’re on, take all of yourselves way too seriously.
To quote Rachel Zegler, “Weird, weird!”

A028D9FC-C00A-4D1A-8524-68874DEB2675.jpeg

LittleBuford

Really…?!
I can explain my joke to you, but, I can’t understand it for you.
Figure it out on your own.
I think most of the people contributing to this thread are making what they consider to be serious points, even if they disagree with each other. But you seem to be saying there’s something funny at the heart of all this that everyone is missing. That’s what I’m asking you to explain. I don’t mind if you consider me dumb for missing the joke!

Snow Queen 83

The only romantic relationships involving a man and a woman seem to be preexisting ones. Before Disney decided to go away from straight romances. Even then some of the preexisting ones involve females that want to put their careers ahead of their family (Mrs. Incredible).

PrinceCharming617

I’m surprised to see Strange World on your list given that it features a cutesy sequence in which the mum and dad are acting all loved up. I can only assume you haven’t seen the film for yourself.

View attachment 740732

Elemental, meanwhile, is entirely centred on a heterosexual romance, though I suppose your “non-human” clause means we would have to (conveniently) discount it.

(There are numerous other films on your list that don’t hold up to scrutiny, but I doubt going through them individually would achieve much.)

Whoa you found one in the past 11 years, I guess it checked enough boxes to make it through.

donaldtoo

I think most of the people contributing to this thread are making what they consider to be serious points, even if they disagree with each other. But you seem to be saying there’s something funny at the heart of all this that everyone is missing. That’s what I’m asking you to explain. I don’t mind if you consider me dumb for missing the joke!

I was just tryin’ to be silly and lighten things up a bit, that’s all. It’s in my nature.
Sorry it didn’t go over as such.

LittleBuford

Oh yeah, I was going to go from Coco, but changed because there's so many without a man/woman relationship. So there's 2 out of the 11 years. What a woke fail by Disney.
Let’s be clear. There are only “so many without a man/woman relationship” if you discount films with preexisting relationships (why?) and those in which non-humans stand in for humans (again, why?). But if you just, you know, watch the films without such strange criteria in mind, most of them actually do feature heterosexual romance.

And for what it’s worth, Coco, too, may not make the best starting point for your list, since Miguel’s human (albeit dead) grandparents are shown falling back in love, which surely qualifies as a new relationship.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom