Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Tony the Tigger

No not necessarily but she should have a little more awareness than what she’s currently displaying. 22 is not THAT young. There are probably a good amount of 18 year olds that would have handled those interviews better than she did. But again - she’s just saying what she thinks people want to hear and nobody seems to be stopping her.

You re also framing this as The People V. Rachel when it’s really The People V. Disney. She just happens to be the face for now… until the next thing. She’s just a reflection of what many of us think is wrong with the company right now.
Maybe the studios don’t/shouldn’t tell young women what to think or say about womanhood anymore.

LittleBuford

But again - she’s just saying what she thinks people want to hear (with a certain arrogance) and nobody seems to be stopping her.
Or perhaps she’s just saying what she herself thinks. Either way, it’s not a big deal. It certainly didn’t cause a fuss when the interviews were first given—over a year ago, if I’m not mistaken.

You re also framing this as The People V. Rachel when it’s really The People V. Disney. She just happens to be the face for now… until the next thing. She’s just a reflection of what many of us think is wrong with the company right now.
Well, at least you’re acknowledging what’s going on here. People are peeved with Disney and are just looking for things or people to attach their anger to. It seems a terribly cynical and unproductive approach to me.

mickEblu

Or perhaps she’s just saying what she herself thinks. Either way, it’s not a big deal. It certainly didn’t cause a fuss when the interviews were first given—over a year ago, if I’m not mistaken.

Well, at least you’re acknowledging what’s going on here. People are peeved with Disney and are just looking for things or people to attach their anger to. It seems a terribly cynical and unproductive approach to me.

Probably because people didn’t hear the interviews a year ago. I certainly didn’t. And of course Disney is more scrutinized today than a year ago due to their compounding poor decisions.

oogie boogie man

She's 22, not 2. Quit making excuses for her.

All she's done so far is star in movie bombs left and right. And her next 2 look horrible as well.

She shouldn't be putting down the movie this is supposed to be based on (even though it doesn't look it). Her version will never be as good as the original Disney version. .... Bottomline she should show some respect to it! Much better men and women have come before her. That created that masterpiece.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

She's 22, not 2. Quit making excuses for her.
It’s not about making excuses for her. It’s about getting the supposed adults in the room to think of her as they would any other individual of that age (I can’t be the only one here with young relatives who sometimes speak in unnuanced terms). People are holding her words to a less forgiving standard than is frequently applied to the rhetoric of today’s public officials and elected leaders. There’s something extremely weird about that.

erasure fan1

All she's done so far is star in movie bombs left and right. And her next 2 look horrible as well.
That's actually an interesting point. West side story, no one cared about. Shazam was a large failure. It might not be her fault, but you really don't want to be the person in Hollywood that the movies you are in consistently fail. So you now have snow white and the hunger games prequel coming up. If both fail, you are now the person with 4 high profile failures in a row. Couple that with her perceived poking the bear, I can see studios avoiding working with her.

LittleBuford

Thanks for sharing. We can now add Cinderella to the list of remakes whose stars “insulted” the original version yet somehow avoided the censure that Zegler has received.

Quoting Lily James: "This girl isn't waiting for a prince. . . . She is in charge of her own destiny in that her strength and her courage that come from within make her almost a superhero."

erasure fan1

Thanks for sharing. We can now add Cinderella to the list of remakes whose stars “insulted” the original version yet somehow avoided the censure that Zegler has received.
Well to be fair, that was well before everyone was sick of Disneys remakes. If she made those comments today, I'm sure it would have been criticized. If the focus on Disney wasn't on the lagging box office, this probably just gets some eye rolls and people move on. But we are in a completely different time with Disney than the plus 8yrs ago when Cinderella was released.

Ghost93

Quoting Lily James: "This girl isn't waiting for a prince. . . . She is in charge of her own destiny in that her strength and her courage that come from within make her almost a superhero."

I find that interesting, as one of my biggest criticisms of the Lilly James version of Cinderella was that her character was even more of a pushover than the 1950 original. The original version felt more assertive and subtly pushed back at her stepmother while the Lilly James version — though well acted — just sort of let things happen because she was too nice.

crispy

Nothing Emma Watson said about the original Belle was untrue. The whole first song is about how weird she was because she wanted to read and wasn't in a hurry to get married. It's not an odd or critical take.

TP2000

For another—and as I've mentioned several times before—we have information to the effect that there will be some sort of romantic connection between Snow White and a new character by the name of Jonathan.

In a different interview with the Extra TV reporter, Miss Zegler already dismissed that character and said he might be cut out of the movie entirely. Snow White doesn't need a romantic angle because she's on a leadership journey, after all.

"We have a different approach to what a lot of people, I'm sure, will assume is a love story, just because we, like, cast a guy in the movie.... It's one of those things that I think everyone's going to have their assumptions about what it's going to be. It's really not about a love story at all. Which is really, really wonderful. And whether or not she finds love along the way is anybody's guess until 2024. All of Andrew's scenes could get cut, who knows? It's Hollywood baby!" -Rachel Zegler

GimpYancIent

In a different interview with the Extra TV reporter, Miss Zegler already dismissed that character and said he might be cut out of the movie entirely. Snow White doesn't need a romantic angle because she's on a leadership journey, after all.

"We have a different approach to what a lot of people, I'm sure, will assume is a love story, just because we, like, cast a guy in the movie.... It's one of those things that I think everyone's going to have their assumptions about what it's going to be. It's really not about a love story at all. Which is really, really wonderful. And whether or not she finds love along the way is anybody's guess until 2024. All of Andrew's scenes could get cut, who knows? It's Hollywood baby!" -Rachel Zegler

If her objective is to raise interest in the movie by being controversial in comments, off script presentation or just attempting to be edgy, she is not doing well at it. She is not exciting or even interesting the potential audience but rather causing people to yawn and wait for yet another live action remake to go to D+.

TP2000

How much younger? I’m 41. I think she is extremely annoying and unlikable. She’s just being Hollywood- living in that bubble and saying what she thinks everyone wants to hear.

Agreed. Her smirky approach to these Snow White interviews, a movie that is so important to Disney and its place in our culture, is not a good marketing angle.

From other interviews she's done unrelated to Snow White, that seems to just be her personality in general. She gives off rather cringey vibes. She may think she is being savvy and reflective towards the artistry she is involved in, but instead it reads as smug and arrogant. Even unlikable.

It's seems to be a perfect storm of cringe. :rolleyes:

Another young actress with a more gracious personality may have been able to say exactly the same things about the upcoming Snow White remake and it wouldn't have hit as big as Rachel Zegler's delivery of those same statements. But... it was Rachel Zegler saying it all and smirking at the cameras about it. The rest is now history.

TP2000

If her objective is to raise interest in the movie by being controversial in comments, off script presentation or just attempting to be edgy, she is not doing well at it. She is not exciting or even interesting the potential audience but rather causing people to yawn and wait for yet another live action remake to go to D+.

Agreed. It's been a PR disaster for Disney. For what I assume is another mega-budget film that they will spend $250 Million or more on its production and marketing budgets.

Before she goes out on the formal interview circuit next March on stuff like The Tonight Show, etc., Rachel Zegler will need a full rethink and relaunch to save not just her personal brand, but also Disney's investment in this movie.

She needs a far less smug delivery and better Talking Points to deliver to the media. What she's offered so far is... not good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom