Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Chi84

Premium Member
Indeed. I’m not sure why @EPCOT-O.G. and others suspect the film won’t have a love story when the available information strongly suggests that it will.

It’s also puzzling to me that the avoidance of the prince-as-saviour trope is being taken to mean an absence of love and romance altogether. Why does everything have to be so dichotomously framed?
That reminds me of an old joke: There are two kinds of people in this world - those who believe there are two kinds of people and those who don’t.

I’m not sure why people choose it over dialectical thinking other than possibly because it’s easier. Or maybe they believe that Disney is doing things so opposite to what they like that they’ve given up hope.

Casper Gutman

It’s been awhile since I watched this film, but I must be misremembering that - like this anticipated version of Snow White - the film was called “Beauty” and they essentially did away with the love story and character of the Beast altogether.
How recently have you seen Snow White? The Prince is an absolute non-entity in the Disney original.

Casper Gutman

HA, this is the one that totally turned me on all these. I legit fell asleep watching it, and I HATED what I didn't sleep through. Though, funny enough, I liked her as Belle. Gaston was my most hated thing from that movie (there were other things too, but that really turned me off to the whole film).
It’s a shame Bruce Campbell was too old for Gaston.

Disstevefan1

HA, this is the one that totally turned me on all these. I legit fell asleep watching it, and I HATED what I didn't sleep through. Though, funny enough, I liked her as Belle. Gaston was my most hated thing from that movie (there were other things too, but that really turned me off to the whole film).
Well its totally normal for some folks to like something and other folks to not. I thought this remake was fun, it seemed to follow the original and my favorite character was Gaston, LOL.

Folks like different stuff. For example, I liked Lightyear, I liked they way they used time travel and how Buzz evolved through time. My only gripe was that Lightyear has nothing to do with Toy Story and should not have been associated with Andy.

I thought Elemental was GREAT!

Strange World was, strange and my only gripe was the global warming, get rid of fossil fuel, must live in the dark, messaging in the film.

Disstevefan1

Coming soon to Disney+
Ramsnow.jpg

Chi84

Premium Member
Like this?
View attachment 739252
Both of us were kidding. This is all in fun!
Maybe so, but I still remember being told to "lighten up" about sexist jokes at work. Turns out only some of the people were actually having the fun.

But if dichotomous thinking requires a choice, I'll take the girl in your post over the one in Tony's. Only one of them evokes what was a not-so-distant reality, although from what I understand there are those who fear the "girl boss" as just around the corner if not already here.

Watch out! (Just kidding lol).

TP2000

Indeed. I’m not sure why @EPCOT-O.G. and others suspect the film won’t have a love story when the available information strongly suggests that it will.

It came from one of the now-infamous interviews that Miss Zegler did at formal Disney media events.

"She's not going to be saved by the prince. And she's not going to be dreaming about true love, she's dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be. And the leader that her late father told her that she could be if she was fearless, fair, brave, and true...." -Rachel Zegler to a Variety reporter at D23 Expo

This is my personal opinion, but it doesn't help that in these interviews Rachel Zegler delivers these remarks with a tone and a tenor that seems condescending and judgmental of the 1937 source material. There's just something about the way she speaks, the way she laughs at it all and makes her smirky comments and smug facial gestures, that really puts an underline on her already critical comments of the Walt Disney original.

For people of my generation at least, she comes off as annoying and unlikable. Perhaps younger people see her differently.

LittleBuford

It came from one of the now-infamous interviews that Miss Zegler did at formal Disney media events.

"She's not going to be saved by the prince. And she's not going to be dreaming about true love, she's dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be. And the leader that her late father told her that she could be if she was fearless, fair, brave, and true...." -Rachel Zegler to a Variety reporter at D23 Expo
Compare that to what the director of the Beauty and Beast remake said about the reimagined Belle: "She really is the first modern Disney princess who doesn’t want to be a princess . . . Someone who's more interested in figuring out who she is than finding a guy and getting married." None of this stopped the live-action Belle from finding love, and there's no reason to think that the live-action Snow White will be denied the chance of romance either. For one thing, a person doesn't have to be "dreaming about true love" to end up in it (I speak from experience). For another—and as I've mentioned several times before—we have information to the effect that there will be some sort of romantic connection between Snow White and a new character by the name of Jonathan.

Last edited:

mickEblu

This is my personal opinion, but it doesn't help that in these interviews Rachel Zegler delivers these remarks with a tone and a tenor that seems condescending and judgmental of the 1937 source material. There's just something about the way she speaks, the way she laughs at it all and makes her smirky comments and smug facial gestures, that really puts an underline on her already critical comments of the Walt Disney original.

For people of my generation at least, she comes off as annoying and unlikable. Perhaps younger people see her differently.

How much younger? I’m 41. I think she is extremely annoying and unlikable. She’s just being Hollywood- living in that bubble and saying what she thinks everyone wants to hear.

mickEblu

After seeing a few of Rachel’s interviews now I think she’s White enough to play Snow White especially with makeup if they wanted to go that route. I think she looks at least as good or better than Emma Watson looked playing Belle. But that could also be because Belle is more attractive than Emma and Rachel is more attractive than Snow White IMO.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Being an actress doesn’t make her wiser than her years.

I would argue that those who should know better are the middle-aged fans who have developed a quite unreasonable and unhealthy level of disdain for her.

No not necessarily but she should have a little more awareness than what she’s currently displaying. 22 is not THAT young. There are probably a good amount of 18 year olds that would have handled those interviews better than she did. But again - she’s just saying what she thinks people want to hear (with a certain arrogance) and nobody seems to be stopping her.

You re also framing this as The People V. Rachel when it’s really The People V. Disney. She just happens to be the face for now… until the next thing. She’s just a reflection of what many of us think is wrong with the company right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom