Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

CJR

I don't suppose there would be anything wrong with it, but the ending was a heck of a lot better in the live-action remake, with Ariel's dad speeding them along their way. Wasn't it cool for them to go on a sea adventure with the king of the seas watching over them? They better incorporated Ariel's beautiful relationship with her father in my opinion. You have to admit that maybe the original ending was not chosen simply based on modern society and how it generally goes these days. There's nothing wrong with it; it's just not what Disney chose to portray.

Completely agree with you. It was very well done.

I think it's less so about TLM and more about everything else and the need to change what's old in order to fit a corporate driven narrative. It's not a bad narrative, it's just at the point where it's a bit over done in the eyes of many.

Chi84

Premium Member
Completely agree with you. It was very well done.

I think it's less so about TLM and more about everything else and the need to change what's old in order to fit a corporate driven narrative. It's not a bad narrative, it's just at the point where it's a bit over done in the eyes of many.
I know what you mean about a corporate narrative, but I just don't see it in that particular movie. Ariel had a good life under the sea but her inquisitive nature drove her to want to learn everything she could about the human world. Price Eric's nature had him struggling against the queen's orders to stay home and rule his kingdom. He was desperate to get out and learn about different cultures and bring knowledge and expanded trade to his kingdom. It would be hard to imagine an ending where they both just decided to move into the palace.

Farerb

I read elsewhere there was a test screening for Snow White, and a particular scene to which the audience reacted badly was the scene where the Hag tempts Snow White with the poisoned apple. There's a song, in which the Hag basically pretends to be her friend. And then, instead of biting the apple, Snow White just touches it, and loses her will of becoming a leader. I don't know if it's true or not.

Disstevefan1

I read elsewhere there was a test screening for Snow White, and a particular scene to which the audience reacted badly was the scene where the Hag tempts Snow White with the poisoned apple. There's a song, in which the Hag basically pretends to be her friend. And then, instead of biting the apple, Snow White just touches it, and loses her will of becoming a leader. I don't know if it's true or not.
That sounds stupid enough to be today's Disney. Its probably true.

So in this new film, we know its not the prince kiss to help Snow White, what will it be?

Maybe it will be Snow White's own intestinal fortitude that will save her and bring her back to the leader her farther said she could be.

Tha Realest

So she doesn’t die, but instead her GirlBoss powers are temporarily Nerf’ed?

mickEblu

But that's the rub - Snow White is a fairy tale that is hundreds of years old, and the 1937 film was based on that fairy tale. That movie helped establish Disney, and is an incredibly valuable IP that is used throughout the parks and the company.

If you don't like the fairy tale or the 1937 version, you are absolutely entitled to have that opinion, and you're absolutely entitled to tell a new story about new characters that fit what you're trying to do. But to "remake" Snow White into something it's not is just a cynical way to trade on the name of a fairy tale that is hundreds of years old.

I could write a movie starring a petite girl who loves unicorns and rainbows and spends her days in the fields playing with bunnies and call it Rambo, but that does not mean it will have any relation to the Stallone pics. And while that is an absurd example, what Disney appears to be doing here is more insidious - making a movie that can be marketed as being an "updated" Snow White to pull in the people who actually enjoy Snow White just to spring a subversive retelling upon them.

Make that movie, just don't call it "Snow White."

Except they have already made that movie. Over and over and over again the last 7 or so years. Now it’s just another version of that movie with “Snow Whites” likeness and name attached to it.

Casper Gutman

Are we doing the thing where we make up “test screenings” full of absurd nonsense to stoke our grievances? We just did that with Indiana Jones, but sure, let’s do it again.

I hear there’s a scene at the end where Snow White dyes her hair BLUE. Oh, and two tertiary characters are in a loving, stable same-sex relationship. Get the torches!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To help Ms. White along on her "leadership journey"....
1692966353054.png

LittleBuford

Some interesting context, and further evidence of how the problem is less with Zegler's sentiments (which aren't that dissimilar to Watston's, even if more brashly expressed) than with the outrage that has been very deliberately manufactured around them.

“When I finished the film, it kind of felt like I had made that transition into being a woman on-screen,” she said, adding that Belle is “absolutely a Disney princess, but she’s not a passive character — she’s in charge of her own destiny.”​

The actress was instrumental in giving the Disney princess a more feminist edge, insisting that certain aspects be changed so she feels more modern. “I was like, ‘The first shot of the movie cannot be Belle walking out of this quiet little town carrying a basket with a white napkin in it,’ ” said Watson. “‘We need to rev things up!’”​

From the same article:

Director Bill Condon echoes his lead actress, saying that Belle is just a tad different than the other Disney princesses in that she’s not motivated by love. “She really is the first modern Disney princess who doesn’t want to be a princess,” he says. “Someone who’s more interested in figuring out who she is than finding a guy and getting married.”​

Tha Realest

Some interesting context, and further evidence of how the problem is less with Zegler's sentiments (which aren't that dissimilar to Watston's, even if more brashly expressed) than with the outrage that has been very deliberately manufactured around them.

“When I finished the film, it kind of felt like I had made that transition into being a woman on-screen,” she said, adding that Belle is “absolutely a Disney princess, but she’s not a passive character — she’s in charge of her own destiny.”​

The actress was instrumental in giving the Disney princess a more feminist edge, insisting that certain aspects be changed so she feels more modern. “I was like, ‘The first shot of the movie cannot be Belle walking out of this quiet little town carrying a basket with a white napkin in it,’ ” said Watson. “‘We need to rev things up!’”​

From the same article:

Director Bill Condon echoes his lead actress, saying that Belle is just a tad different than the other Disney princesses in that she’s not motivated by love. “She really is the first modern Disney princess who doesn’t want to be a princess,” he says. “Someone who’s more interested in figuring out who she is than finding a guy and getting married.”​

It’s been awhile since I watched this film, but I must be misremembering that - like this anticipated version of Snow White - the film was called “Beauty” and they essentially did away with the love story and character of the Beast altogether.

Chi84

Premium Member
I thought the anticipated Snow White has a love story and that the relationship between Snow and the forest characters is still there - they’re just not dwarfs.

I’m not at all sure how people seem to know so much about this film. I will admit that I wasn’t giving it a second thought until I found out Greta Gerwig was involved as a writer. Now I’m interested to see what’s it’s like.

LittleBuford

I thought the anticipated Snow White has a love story and that the relationship between Snow and the forest characters is still there - they’re just not dwarfs.

I’m not at all sure how people seem to know so much about this film. I will admit that I wasn’t giving it a second thought until I found out Greta Gerwig was involved as a writer. Now I’m interested to see what’s it’s like.
Indeed. I’m not sure why @EPCOT-O.G. and others suspect the film won’t have a love story when the available information strongly suggests that it will.

It’s also puzzling to me that the avoidance of the prince-as-saviour trope is being taken to mean an absence of love and romance altogether. Why does everything have to be so dichotomously framed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom