Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Ghost93

There’s no reason to think that Zegler had any influence on the script or plot. Moreover, I’m struggling to understand how her misgivings about aspects of the 1937 film that won’t even feature in the remake would negatively shape her performance. It’s rather farfetched to assume that her lack of enthusiasm for the animated version will somehow come through in her portrayal of what is, in any case, a substantially different treatment of the titular character.
Whatever one's thoughts are on Zegler as a person, I am 100% confident that she will be excellent in the role of Snow White. Those doubting her talents should watch her as Maria in Steven Spielberg's version of West Side Story. She totally can embody the sweetness and innocence of Snow White, while also updating the character for modern sensibilities.

Ghost93

But Snow White and the Seven Dwarves is very specific in the written retelling of an older tale. "Skin as white as snow, hair as black as ebony, and lips as red as blood" .
I know Zegler is Latina, but she looks like Snow White. Her skin is not "white as snow," but she is light-skinned and in costume, she looks more like the original version of Snow White than Elle Fanning did as Aurora, Mia Wasikowska did as Alice or Lily James did as Cinderella.

AdventureHasAName

I always thought of the term Snow White as referring to purity, which was then reflected in her outward appearance - such as pure as the driven snow. These movies were made decades ago; I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping the name and the central concept and yet changing certain aspects to meet modern sensibilities. Others don't want anything changed and that's fine; it's what discussion is all about.

LittleBuford

I forgot the "rags cannot hide her gentle grace." What a poetic line. I hope they keep it.
The dialogue is beautifully written and the animation stunning. The misuse of "thou" (it should be "you") bothers me, but George Lucas made the same mistake with Darth Vader.

EricsBiscuit

Chi84

Premium Member
Oh those 91-year-olds!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Spielberg and Lucas didn't like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

But I guess what's more important, is what their children think of it.

Californian Elitist

It's clear from her comments she doesn't respect the original film. The original film is what people love (for 80 years). She's gone out of her way to tell everyone that they are not making a film that those who love and respect the original will enjoy. She doesn't realize how stupid this is (both in concept of the remake, and in antagonizing the original's fans pre-release), but she is doing it nontheless.
It’s not very clear at all. She critiqued some of the characters and provided her own opinion. People do that all the time. It doesn’t mean they automatically dislike the film and don’t respect it. The introduction of my Master’s thesis includes an analysis and critique of Humbert Humbert and other parts from Nabokov’s Lolita. It’s my favorite book of all time and I have tremendous respect and appreciation for it, and I’ve critiqued it and provided analysis multiple times.

How exactly do you know that there won’t be people out there who will love and respect the upcoming movie?

EricsBiscuit

Yes because Temple of Doom was a slap in the face to Indiana Jones, removing his love interests, curbing back the action to be more sensitive, and, oh wait…. Maybe ToD wasn’t a rebuke of the previous franchise installments?

AdventureHasAName

It’s not very clear at all. She critiqued some of the characters and provided her own opinion. People do that all the time. It doesn’t mean they automatically dislike the film and don’t respect it. The introduction of my Master’s thesis includes an analysis and critique of Humbert Humbert and other parts from Nabokov’s Lolita. It’s my favorite book of all time and I have tremendous respect and appreciation for it, and I’ve critiqued it and provided analysis multiple times.

How exactly do you know that there won’t be people out there who will love and respect the upcoming movie?
I can't tell if you're a parody account or not, so I'm going to stop responding to your posts.

MerlinTheGoat

George Lucas also didn't like Empire Strikes Back, but it's widely regarded as the best Star Wars product ever created. Not that I think Temple of Doom is remotely the best of the original trilogy (I like it a lot more than Kingdom or Dial, but less than Raiders and Crusade). But just saying that someone's status or lack thereof shouldn't dictate an individual's opinion on a product.

When deciding whether I enjoy a movie or not, the only opinion that matters to me is my own. That should be the norm IMO. People should be free to like or dislike whatever they want regardless of whatever anyone else says. That said, it can still be important and interesting in its own way to hear the perspectives of those who were either involved with or close to those involved in major classic projects.

I'm not generally interested in the culture war nonsense waged by the "anti woke" faction. And i'm generally far more on the "woke" side than not. But even I roll my eyes at some of the ridiculous over correction Disney has been doing. And i'm far from alone in this opinion. There was a thread about this remake recently (regarding the production photos/videos that were leaked) on one of the most overtly woke forums you can possible imagine, even most of the people there were cringing at the mess.

Tha Realest

I just rewatched the original animated film last night, so some brief thoughts:

1) In case some of you haven’t watched it in awhile, please do so. It’s an absolute masterpiece. Each and every frame is gorgeous and carefully drawn by clear craftsman at the top of their game.

2) Snow White has clearly reciprocated her love interest in the prince within the first few minutes of the film. It’s not clear they’ve never met before, but even if that was the first time they met, Snow White visible demonstrates an amorous interest in him. That somewhat negates the “stalker” conceit or the “she was reanimated by a stranger who kissed her without consent” taking point many like to spout. Seriously, watch the first five minutes of the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom