Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

CaptinEO

I absolutely think it's great to have everyone represented in entertainment, but wish it wasn't at the cost of heavily altering existing stories.

I wish Disney would create great new characters to represent these cultures (and give them a lasting impact) instead of constantly reusing their old characters.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

I absolutely think it's great to have everyone represented in entertainment, but wish it wasn't at the cost of heavily altering existing stories.

I wish Disney would create great new characters to represent these cultures (and give them a lasting impact) instead of constantly reusing their old characters.
EXACTLY! They should be focused on making or adapting ‘Brand New’ stories & characters with said ethnicities, relationships, & cultures that end up having the same level of quality & impact as the stories/characters of old. Remaking old ones already made/adapted comes off as low-effort & pandering.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
EXACTLY! They should be focused on making or adapting ‘Brand New’ stories & characters with said ethnicities, relationships, & cultures that end up having the same level of quality & impact as the stories/characters of old. Remaking old ones already made/adapted comes off as low-effort & pandering.

Be careful of what you wish for. In the past decade here are some of the "original" movies by WDS (some which were diverted to D+)...

• The Odd Life of Timothy Green
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Million Dollar Arm
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  • Tomorrowland
  • ABCD 2
  • The Finest Hours
  • The BFG
  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • The Nutcracker and the Four Realms
  • Noelle
  • Artemis Fowl

To be fair, I left out 4-5 that weren't bad (but not stellar, either).

In the upcoming slate of confirmed movies for WDS, there are no "originals" listed. Maybe they learned their lesson.

Inspired Figment

Be careful of what you wish for. In the past decade here are some of the "original" movies by WDS (some which were diverted to D+)...

• The Lone Ranger
  • Million Dollar Arm
  • Tomorrowland
  • ABCD 2
  • The Finest Hours
  • The BFG
  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • Noelle
  • Artemis Fowl

In the upcoming slate of confirmed movies for WDS, there are no "originals" listed. Maybe they learned their lesson.
While admittedly, I really enjoyed Tomorrowland & The BFG, I’ll admit that the others on this list weren’t the greatest… though perhaps the blame should really be put on management and ‘what’ projects they’re greenlighting.. not to mention the amount of marketing they put in and who exactly is put in charge of directing/writing the “original” projects. Clearly they need new people in there (both management & creative leads) if they’re continuously making bad films or if critically acclaimed films are doing poorly box office wise, then they need to get better marketing people.

CaptinEO

• The Lone Ranger
  • Million Dollar Arm
  • Tomorrowland
  • ABCD 2
  • The Finest Hours
  • The BFG
  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • Noelle
  • Artemis Fowl

These are mostly book adaptations. These movies were all trash. The reason the movies are bad isn't because they are new stories, they are badly made and executed movies.

The same people are still in charge of Disney live action films, they are still making bad/corny films, just this time they are remakes of stories people love, so people show up.

CaptinEO

I'd love this. Or if you do remake old ones, showcase that culture. Snow White should be German, they can tie it in with Epcot too. So much potential.

How about a new great latin american story for this actress? I think it'd be so great for them to make stories of all cultures.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

I'd love this. Or if you do remake old ones, showcase that culture. Snow White should be German, they can tie it in with Epcot too. So much potential.
Iffy on the Snow White thing.. imo, they shouldn’t remake the exact same stories they’ve already adapted into film. Better to create a brand new story. (Or for that matter, ones that already have an attraction in another park.. in WDW’s case, they have the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in Fantasyland already) I’d rather them create a new, unique Germany attraction rather than another film tied one. It can possibly have some new characters, a unique focus/concept relating to Germany, maybe even a song. But I feel there should more room for creativity within WDI.

CaptinEO

Iffy on the Snow White thing.. imo, they shouldn’t remake the exact same stories they’ve already adapted into film. Better to create a brand new story. (Or for that matter, ones that already have an attraction in another park.. in WDW’s case, they have the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in Fantasyland already) I’d rather than create a new, unique Germany attraction rather than another film tied one. It can have some new characters, maybe even a song. But I feel there should more room for creativity within WDI.
That's true, and I agree, why touch these classic films that are staples in film making? It'd be like trying to remake the Wizard of Oz. Just let it be.

Magenta Panther

"Although her upcoming breakout role as Maria in Steven Spielberg’s new retelling of West Side Story doesn’t bow till this winter, Rachel Zegler looks to have already found her next big role. Sources tell Deadline that Zegler is set to star as Snow White in Disney’s live-action adaptation Cinderella, the film that started it all for the studio’s legendary slate of animated features. Marc Webb will direct, with Marc Platt producing. Production is expected to start in 2022.

“Rachel’s extraordinary vocal abilities are just the beginning of her gifts. Her strength, intelligence and optimism will become an integral part of rediscovering the joy in this classic Disney fairytale,” Webb said."

This actress is lovely, and I think that visually she'll suit the role just fine. But I suppose it's too much to hope for that her version of Snow will retain the character's sweetness and innocence. No doubt her Snow will tell the Wicked Queen to shove her apple or some such. Whatever, I doubt I'll watch it anyway...

Giss Neric

Here we go again with the non-stop back and forth on Twitter about her being picked for the role. I think it's mainly because she's an SJW (in my opinion) and people seem to get triggered when they have pronouns on their twitter like her.

DKampy

• The Lone Ranger
  • Million Dollar Arm
  • Tomorrowland
  • ABCD 2
  • The Finest Hours
  • The BFG
  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • Noelle
  • Artemis Fowl

In the upcoming slate of confirmed movies for WDS, there are no "originals" listed. Maybe they learned their lesson.Million Dollar A

• The Lone Ranger
  • Million Dollar Arm
  • Tomorrowland
  • ABCD 2
  • The Finest Hours
  • The BFG
  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • Noelle
  • Artemis Fowl

Million Dollar arm was really good… if this was meant to showcase everything wrong with original Disney stories that should not be included

Grumpy415

The Empress Lilly

Did they miss the clue in Snow White's name about her being snow White?

Theoretically, any role can be played by anybody - an eighty year old man can play Ariel. But I'll support Disney's open casting when they start casting a Nigerian as Mulan and a Pakistani as Tiana. Until then, this deliberate replacement of Europeans, and Europeans only, in traditional European stories is all just anti-European racism. We have a culture too, and we look the way we look, and if you want to use our folk stories, you should honour that.

Magenta Panther

Theoretically, any role can be played by anybody - an eighty year old man can play Ariel. But I'll support Disney's open casting when they start casting a Nigerian as Mulan and a Pakistani as Tiana. Until then, this deliberate replacement of Europeans, and Europeans only, in traditional European stories is all just anti-European racism. We have a culture too, and we look the way we look, and if you want to use our folk stories, you should honour that.

I have to admit, you have a point...

erasure fan1

Yes Disney made a major point to make sure that they honored the nationality of Mulan, Aladdin... They talked about it a lot. Even with Lion king we were told it was important that a story set in Africa, needed representation. Yet with Little Mermaid and now snow white, none of that matters anymore. Now it's just, ehhh they're just fictional cartoon characters, anyone can play them. I've always said, pick a lane and stay in it. Either it's important for all the characters or none of them.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"While her latest tentpole Red Notice is set for its big Hollywood premiere tonight, Gal Gadot looks to have found her next project that is sure to be the fairest of them all. Sources tell Deadline that Gadot is in final negotiations to play the Evil Queen in Disney’s live-action adaptation of Snow White, the one that started it all for the studio’s legendary slate of animated features. Rachel Zegler is set to play the titular character, with Marc Webb directing and Marc Platt producing. Production is expected to start in 2022."

NateD1226

Original Poster
"While her latest tentpole Red Notice is set for its big Hollywood premiere tonight, Gal Gadot looks to have found her next project that is sure to be the fairest of them all. Sources tell Deadline that Gadot is in final negotiations to play the Evil Queen in Disney’s live-action adaptation of Snow White, the one that started it all for the studio’s legendary slate of animated features. Rachel Zegler is set to play the titular character, with Marc Webb directing and Marc Platt producing. Production is expected to start in 2022."

Terrible casting. How could Disney go so wrong after casting Rachel Zegler?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom