Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh, so you're saying that the murderous Wicked Queen in Snow White is merely "ambiguous"? Come on. Maleficent was bad enough - making the three good fairies total idiots and the king a jerk in order to make Maleficent sympathetic. That was plain amateurishly bad writing. If the Wicked Queen is handled the same way, we can probably look forward to her wickedness being based on unrealistic standards of female beauty being inflicted on her poor little psyche and driving her to try to murder her stepchild. She turns to potions to keep herself young thanks to ageism. And her jealousy is based on societal pressures that force women to compete with each other.
What I’m saying is a story is just that, a story, it’s told from a certain perspective. My opinion is telling the same story from a different perspective can show that what we think of as good or bad is not always as clear cut as we first thought. We can discuss the writing all day long on whether it was good or not. But for my money I’m open to a fresh take on these old stories told again from a different perspective.

Cosmic Commando

Having villains that can really be the heroes of their own story is great, but a lot of these Disney villains are the reason why we have the phrase "cartoonishly evil". Trying to tell the same story, but all of a sudden there's a reason why it's not so bad for a woman to skin 99 puppies? It's hard to swallow. If you're going to try and reform a Disney villain, you'd be better off doing it in a sequel story most of the time. It's easier to forgive someone for what they've done than it is to pre-forget what they're going to do later.

FettFan

Not that I would spend money to see this in the theater or anything...

But I'd like to see Jaimie Alexander as the Queen.
latest

Those eyes, man. Those eyes.
t9cguDou1XMl.jpg

And naturally, Andy Serkis as voice/mocap for the Magic Mirror.

Last edited:

Janir

Really, this ridiculous trope of reforming bad guys to give a fairy tale a different angle is lame. It'd be like if Darth Vader's story was told from his point of view - oh wait. That happened. And it sucked.
What I find funny is that the Maleficent 2 could almost be called "Make Maleficent Evil Again" by watching the trailer for it. Seems they spent a new movie trying to make her a misunderstood and now she's going back to being Evil. Of course there this new angle of her being from a forgotten race that could spin things any which way.

Tony the Tigger

Oh, so you're saying that the murderous Wicked Queen in Snow White is merely "ambiguous"? Come on. Maleficent was bad enough - making the three good fairies total idiots and the king a jerk in order to make Maleficent sympathetic. That was plain amateurishly bad writing. If the Wicked Queen is handled the same way, we can probably look forward to her wickedness being based on unrealistic standards of female beauty being inflicted on her poor little psyche and driving her to try to murder her stepchild. She turns to potions to keep herself young thanks to ageism. And her jealousy is based on societal pressures that force women to compete with each other.

Oh, I forgot: the stories Disney took from other sources and reimagined are now The Bible and anyone else who reimagines them again must be wrong.

Also, if you don’t change the original at all, it’s boring. If you change it a little, people will complain about one song being shortened. If you change much more than that, you’ve ruined someone’s childhood.

Is that about right?

Good thing Walt & Co. didn’t follow those rules, or there would be no Snow White, Cinderella, etc. as we know them.

Tony the Tigger

What I find funny is that the Maleficent 2 could almost be called "Make Maleficent Evil Again" by watching the trailer for it. Seems they spent a new movie trying to make her a misunderstood and now she's going back to being Evil. Of course there this new angle of her being from a forgotten race that could spin things any which way.

Maybe she’s on a journey, like most “people.”

We’ve done pure evil and pure good forever. Who is really all evil or all good?

Most people became more one or more the other for certain reasons.

I think that’s more interesting to explore. And more realistic, therefore, more scary.

I enjoyed Maleficent. Maybe 2 will set her back on the track we’ve come to expect. Either way, the world keeps turning.

Magenta Panther

Oh, I forgot: the stories Disney took from other sources and reimagined are now The Bible and anyone else who reimagines them again must be wrong.

Also, if you don’t change the original at all, it’s boring. If you change it a little, people will complain about one song being shortened. If you change much more than that, you’ve ruined someone’s childhood.

Is that about right?

Good thing Walt & Co. didn’t follow those rules, or there would be no Snow White, Cinderella, etc. as we know them.

Yeah, but see, Walt & Co., generally speaking, did a good job of adapting those stories.

Tell me you liked Malificent. I dare you.

I have zip interest in filmmaking that wants to make a statement about current political/social mores. I want a good story with good characters. I don't require that a princess MUST know how to wield a sword or dropkick an adversary in order to be worthy. My favorite Disney princess is Snow White. Yes, the voice is dated. But she's a lovely person with genuine charm and pathos, and it's easy to see why the Dwarfs came to care for her so much. That's all that matters to me. . Or a misunderstood Maleficent for which all the good guys are diminished in order to build her up. That's lousy storytelling. YMMV.

Tony the Tigger

I enjoyed Maleficent.
Tell me you liked Malificent. I dare you.

Already did. Gee, there were some insights into her life, and a twist to the story.

I call that creative, not lazy. A pure do-over would be lazy.

Sorry it bothers you so. That doesn’t elevate you or your taste in any way. It’s just your opinion, and it’s fine to have - just as mine is fine to have.

I have zip interest in filmmaking that wants to make a statement about current political/social mores.

That’s your problem. Most do, always have, always will.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Although her upcoming breakout role as Maria in Steven Spielberg’s new retelling of West Side Story doesn’t bow till this winter, Rachel Zegler looks to have already found her next big role. Sources tell Deadline that Zegler is set to star as Snow White in Disney’s live-action adaptation Cinderella, the film that started it all for the studio’s legendary slate of animated features. Marc Webb will direct, with Marc Platt producing. Production is expected to start in 2022.

“Rachel’s extraordinary vocal abilities are just the beginning of her gifts. Her strength, intelligence and optimism will become an integral part of rediscovering the joy in this classic Disney fairytale,” Webb said."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom